shape
carat
color
clarity

Warped Diamond???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roy

Rough_Rock
I read something on this site before about a diamond being warped but I can't seem to find it again.

Here's my problem. I posed a question to a "diamond expert guy" on the web on the following diamond and he said the diamond was warped. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

The spec is as follow:
1.19 carat G, VVS2
depth 60.7%, table 57.4%
Girdle medium, Flr none
Sym/Pol EX/EX
6.84-6.88x4.16 mm
Crown Angle 34.3
Crown Height 14.7%
Pavil Angle 41.1
Pavil Depth 43%
Culet 0.3%

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Term "warped" diamonds was introduced by Fred Cuellar. He calls a diamond "warped" when the sum of crown, pavilion and girdle heights % on Sarin or AGS reports isn't equal to the total depth %.

In reality, it is quite usual for Sarin or AGS (they use Sarin machines) to have this problem because of the way AGS measures the girdle thickness.

"Warped" diamonds is merely a fear tactic to make people buy from "diamond guy". Most of the diamonds people are asking about on his site happen to be "wrapped"...

. See what Cut Nut and Ghost_In_The_Net wrote about it.

In particular:

"The reason that when measuring in the Sarin machines the Sum of Pavilion height, Girdle thickness and Crown height don't add up to the Total depth is due to one reason. Each institute measures a different part of the girdle. AGS and AGL institutes grade the girdle by the valleys.

HRD on the other hand grades the Girdle by the Bezels and If you'll check in the Sarin machine in the HRD institute you would see the in fact the values do add up."

Finally, as you can find out from the tutorial on this site, one should pay more attention to crown and pavilion angles not to depth %. Light reflections depends on angles not depth % and angles (especially pavilion) are measured more accurately.

:read: [/u]

roy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. So in your opinion this is an ok diamond?

cerealcity

Rough_Rock
I was told that my diamond was warped too and paid too much. I purchased an AGS-000 and the pavilion + crown + girdle did not = depth. I had a Sarin run on the stone. The pavilion angles max/min were within AGS-000 standards, with a variance of only 0.03%. The crown angle max/min were within AGS-000 standards with a variance of 0.7%. The HCA was 0.8 - Excellent w/in TIC range. The stone has a nice ideal scope image. Also, the diamond is a 1A using AGA's cut charts. Conclusion, if I have a warped diamond, it is a beautiful one! In my opinion, the "warped" formula does not appear to accurately evaluate cut.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Roy, I'm sorry I didn't answer your last question. IMO, every diamond is ok if it is priced correctly. :)

This particular diamond has a bit deep pavilion than people like Garry would prefer for ideal cut. Nonetheless, it should be a nice stone and if the price is right don’t be concerned about 'warping'. To be safe, check it with independent appraiser who doesn’t sell the diamonds.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/13/2002 11:16:27 PM

I was told that my diamond was warped too and paid too much. ----------------

Just out of curiousity.....Does anyone besides Fred C sell unwarped correctly priced diamonds?
Oh wait, let me go check my "secret wholesale price list" from his book.

Sorry to be so sarcastic....but this guy just burns me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results