shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to share my treasure and its story...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
Hello. I''ve never seen such a contingent of diamond-crazed folks! I have to say I am drooling at the pics on this site. Just wanted to share my little diamond story. My mother has been dead for 30 years. My sisters brought me a box of her old jewelry about 2 years ago. It is mostly junk that I have seen many times before; we sisters would periodically dig through the box and laugh at some of the pieces over the years. I guess the last couple of years they decided they wanted me to have "the rest of it," primarily a gold charm bracelet she wore most every day. It''s a rather gaudy charm bracelet, so I''m not sure what the sentiment with THAT was. LOL. Actually, I think they might have had a twinge of guilt because they took the jewelry pickings before I was old enough to have the presense of mind to do so. Anyway...

There were 3 diamond rings in the box, but I assumed they were costume. Nevertheless, I had some time to kill, so decided to take them to a jeweler "just to make sure." Well the diamond pictured below was not only real, but a "very good" diamond according to the jeweler. I had the jeweler put it in the setting and had the anniversary bands soldered to it. I took the ring for an appraisal (reputable one) and I''ll be damned if I could buy a car with it. Needless to say, I''m not sure how to broach the subject with my sisters. LOL. When my husband saw the finished ring, he exclaimed, "You''re married as HELL now."

Naturally, I''m very happy with my ring. (However, I''m not happy with the macro-photograph of my hand. Keep that camera away from my face!). In this crowd, I doubt the ring will be very impressive, but I''m very proud and so surprised at my unexpected and sentimental find.!!

The pictures don''t do the ring justice, but Lookie...
3.gif

ringD.jpg

ringF.jpg

ringC.jpg
ringB.jpg

ringA.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope Mellowcat!
Your ring is lovely, and made4 even more special by the fact that is was your mother's.
Did the appraiser give you any specs?
What about the two bands?
What size finger do you have?

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
The ring looks amazing! How special to have such a great heirloom!

Welcome to pricescope!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I just love your rings and especially your story...what a kick!! I''ll bet your sisters will want to do some new trading with you...hehe
2.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing story! The stone looks to be a good size. What info did you get from the appraiser?

Do you think your sisters will be upset to learn about this find?

Enjoy it - most folks don''t find something so lovely going through old jewelry boxes!

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
Matatorta,

Thanks for your quick reply, but now I have to stop salivating over that stunning ruby a few posts below to reply to YOU.
9.gif

I wish that I had sent the ring to a lab to have the diamond graded BEFORE I mounted it, so I don't have the minute details I'd like, but here's the appraisal specs (I wear a size 4.0- 4.5. This one is a 4.5 and is a bit loose).

Main stone:

14K White Gold
1.43 carat
Measurements: 7.27 x 7.18 x 4.65 mm
Clarity: VS-1
Color: H-I
Proportions: Good
Finish: Good
Flour: Faint

Here's what is weird. The side bands don't match. It's not that apparent but I'm wondering what the jeweler was thinking...

One band says:

Princess cut
16 count each
.02 to .003 cts each
14 diamonds
0.35 carats
VS-2 - SI-1
Color G-H

The other says:

Straight Baguette
0.03 cts each
16 diamonds
0.48 carats
VS-2 - SI1
G-H

I can't discern between the one the appraiser is calling a "princess cut" from the "straight baguettes." I wonder if he made a mistake, or if my jeweler did. Hmmmm. At any rate, if they don't match exactly, it isn't noticeable, but somewhat shoddy on my jeweler's part if it's the case. What do you think?

I was surprised the clarity was graded as high as it was and how low the color was graded. I expected the opposite. The specs don't sound that impressive, but everyone who has seen it has appeared very impressed with it. I think it must be the "fire" factor or something. It's just so sparkly and clear. And it was free >>doing the happy dance<<<.

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 7:49:11 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
What an amazing story! The stone looks to be a good size. What info did you get from the appraiser?

Do you think your sisters will be upset to learn about this find?

Enjoy it - most folks don''t find something so lovely going through old jewelry boxes!

MGR - My sisters are good folk and will probably be happy for me, until it sinks in, maybe. But I am trying to figure out "What Would Dr. Phil Do."
27.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great story. Love the ring, enjoy!!! Hopefully your sisters will be happy for you. Good luck!!!
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very pretty ring mellowcat! thanks for sharing it.

do both of the rings contain princess cuts as well as baguettes? i can''t see the top ring that well, but in the bottom pic there are 7princess cuts and 8baguettes. if the top has the same number of each, the jeweler was probably just grading all of the princess cuts and all of the baguettes seperately..even though they are mixed within each ring. it is a common way of noting grades.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Lovely, lovely set of rings. Wear them well and think of your Mom (and smile).

My Mom passed away about 18 months ago and I love using some the items that I inherited. It makes me think of her and smile. Congrats on your rings.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Mellowcat, how nice for you to have an heirloom that belonged to your mother!

Were the anniversary bands also your mother''s or did you get those from the jeweler?

Looking at the photos of the anniversary bands, it looks to me like each band has BOTH princess and baguettes in them. I can''t see the one band for sure, but that''s how the bottom one in your pictures looks.

Maybe the appraisal is for the total number of stones and he separated out the individual stones by shape?

I LOVE the set with the three rings together. I always go for that wide, symmetrical look!

widget

Ideal_Rock
MC....I LOVE your story! Baby Sister finally gets her due!!!
9.gif

It sure looks like a beautiful diamond, and the mounting is just great...love the alternating bags and princesses on the bands...

Heartiest congratulations, and welcome to PS!

widget

PS...Trust me...your hand looks great...macro shot or otherwise..
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Pretty...Really a lovely story and ring...

Although I''m thinking that your sisters might be a tad peeved that you tell them now, *after* you''ve set the stone!

I am of the opinion that you don''t tell them...They gave it to you so you''re not cheating them. But you may be saving them some hard feelings.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I hope wearing the ring brings back good memories of your mom. It is a BEAUTIFUL diamond, and I love the way you had it reset. It looks great with your wedding rings. I agree with the previous posters who said that it looks like alternating princess and baguettes in the rings. Oh, just wondering, how was the diamond originally set?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, a great story and beautiful rings!!
30.gif
30.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heh I say don''t tell your sisters anything. Its beautiful

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t tell the sisters anything either. I''d just say something if they brought it up. Are they the type that would notice your "new" diamond ring? If so, I wouldn''t make like it''s a big deal, just like "oh yeah, when you gave me Mom''s jewelry box, I had the diamond ring updated..."
Hopefully they chose some treasures of their own and there will be no hard feelings.
I love antique jewelry and would love to hear about its original setting as well as any other treasures!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! That is amazing!!! What a great find and a stunning diamond!! WOW....

BTW.. welcome to Pscope!!
35.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Mellowcat, your ring is STUNNING!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How lucky! The rings are beautiful. Congratulations and welcome to PS.

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
MellowCat,

Congratulations on finding such a wonderful treasure among your mother''s jewelry!

While I read your story, I couldn''t help thinking this: your sisters had the box of jewelry for many years and, for whatever reasons, didn''t think that the three pieces could have been "real." Yet, from the look of the bands you posted, it wouldn''t take a great leap of faith for either of your sisters to take them in to a trusted jeweler to have them examined, much less appraised. They are lovely bands and look like they could have been purchased just yesterday.

So, perhaps you can imagine your mother being happy that you finally did "discover" her beautiful diamond and diamond bands. If these were considered part of the "junk," there must have been quite a treasure trove.

Wear your new heirloom in health and happiness!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
That''s such a great story! The diamond is beautiful and I agree -- don''t tell your sisters. Just "assume" they knew what they were giving you. After all, they have had this jewelry for years. Also, I agree that by not telling them, in case they did not know, that you will save them hard feelings. Besides, you can''t split it 3 ways, and I''m sure they have gotten whatever they want from the box already, and they had first pick. Wear and enjoy, guilt free.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Your rings are just beautiful. I love the whole sentimentality of them. Wear them in good health and always happy times.

shay

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Great story and beautiful rings. I agree with the others and would not bring it up with your sisters unless they ask you. Even then, I would not make a big deal of it -- just that you found one of the diamonds to be real and decided to have it reset so you would enjoy wearing it. That would be sad for something like this to come between you.

The bands look like they match to me, but it''s hard to see the top one. Maybe the appraiser just made a mistake. It''s much harder to believe that a jeweler would solder two different/unmatched rings together.
33.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring...I''m sure your mom would be so happy to know you''re wearing it & enjoying it! The stone is gorgeous & I love the new setting. It looks great with your bands!
1.gif
Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the ring with the matching bands - the setting is so beautiful. And the stone...awesome! I definitely agree not to bring it up unless they (sisters) ask, but they DID romp through all the stuff first, so fair is fair. They would have no right to be upset with you because they chose to overlook something. I think it's wonderful that you're wearing your mom's stone...and again, it's beautfiul!

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 8:25:08 PM
Author: belle
very pretty ring mellowcat! thanks for sharing it.

do both of the rings contain princess cuts as well as baguettes? i can''t see the top ring that well, but in the bottom pic there are 7princess cuts and 8baguettes. if the top has the same number of each, the jeweler was probably just grading all of the princess cuts and all of the baguettes seperately..even though they are mixed within each ring. it is a common way of noting grades.
Ok, now it makes sense. LOL. He graded each stone separately even tho they are mixed in each band. Duh! It''s kind of an odd way of doing it, though. I honestly didn''t know there were any princess cuts in there; shows how astute I am (not).

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 9:16:46 PM
Author: gailrmv
I hope wearing the ring brings back good memories of your mom. It is a BEAUTIFUL diamond, and I love the way you had it reset. It looks great with your wedding rings. I agree with the previous posters who said that it looks like alternating princess and baguettes in the rings. Oh, just wondering, how was the diamond originally set?
Thanks. It definitely brings back memories of her. It was originally set in a plan white gold band, I guess it would be like a "knife edge" band. It was very simple, and pretty, but didn''t look quite right on my finger.

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
Craftygrrl,

I'm sorry to hear about that; I know the sadness of your loss is still very fresh for you right now. It's good that you have heirlooms that were hers, too. It is really a good feeling.

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 8:29:41 PM
Author: Patty
Mellowcat, how nice for you to have an heirloom that belonged to your mother!

Were the anniversary bands also your mother''s or did you get those from the jeweler?

Looking at the photos of the anniversary bands, it looks to me like each band has BOTH princess and baguettes in them. I can''t see the one band for sure, but that''s how the bottom one in your pictures looks.

Maybe the appraisal is for the total number of stones and he separated out the individual stones by shape?

I LOVE the set with the three rings together. I always go for that wide, symmetrical look!
Yes, I purchased the entire setting new, recycling only the center diamond. And the ring in your avatar is beautiful. I think we may have similar tastes. Although I think I like just about all shapes and sizes of jewels, my hands tend to look better in a wider setting for some reason, which is strange because my fingers are very small.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results