shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to sell Steven Kretchmer Omega tension-set Sapphire ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rdurnell

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I''ve recently made the difficult decision to try and sell this ring, which was crafted for me in Kretchmer''s NY atelier for my 20th wedding anniversary---the marriage ended at 22 yrs.

I''ve been to all the jewelry stores here in Santa Fe who are familiar w/ Kretchmer tension-set designs (a whopping 2) but they don''t purchase. Well, one does and the other wasn''t interested because the Sapphire is native cut. I don''t feel comfortable placing an ad in the paper and trying to arrange viewings. I plan to contact selljewelry.com tomorrow to see if they might be interested but short of that am out of ideas.

Here''re the ring''s stats per AGS documentation:

-hand-forged 950 platinum tension setting (Omega design)
-round diamond-cut Sapphire (7mm diameter)
-1.72/100 of a carat
-Sapphire is free of surface inclusions and a fine medium-dark blue

Can anyone provide some guidance as to selling options for a specialized design such as this? Is selljewelry.com a viable path?

I''ve tried to upload a .jpg of the ring but despite remaining under the file size limit, continue to get server errors. If I get any responses, I''ll try to upload a pic again.

Thanks for any information,

-robin

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really sorry
sad.gif

I don't believe you are allowed to try to sell things around here, but there is advice in the FAQ section, or you can search for it, on how to sell a ring. That one's extra-complicated, though, since you left out the most important piece of information -- what size the ring is. Unless they do free (or close to it) resizing, that's a rather vital piece of information, since it's not like anyone else can do it.

Briefly, I'm not sure what you would do with such a thing. If you're not in a hurry for it to sell, (like you need the money right now) then you'll probably get more money for it from another individual, so you want to try to advertise the ring in the paper/on craigslist/on ebay. If you do ebay, I'm not sure how much anyone would pay for the ring... Rings are hard to get any money back from, and this one in paticular, where the setting is non-resizable and the value is in the setting are extra-hard.

You might also try looking around for a store online or locally that sells on consignment. Perhaps also there would be a store in a larger metro area that would buy or sell on consignment for you.

But I can't overemphesize how much you need to post the ring size, and that it's not resizable.

BTW -- the problem you're probably having is that your file has the same name as another picture. throw some random long number in the filename and that might help. I'd at least love to see the ring, even though we've already ordered my e-ring.

rdurnell

Rough_Rock
Chialea,

Thanks for responding. Just to clarify, I wasn't attempting to sell the ring on this board, rather obtain some advice/guidance for selling. In particular, I want to know if anyone has direct experience selling jewelry through selljewelry.com.

And yes, you're quite right that I should've included the ring size (~5.4) since this ring is not resizeable.

I've exhausted local stores, consignment or otherwise and don't think eBay is the right venue. So I'm seriously considering selljewelry.com in NYC. I spoke to someone there and they'd like to see it so to continue, I'd need to send it registered and insured and see if they're interested in making an offer.

I'll attempt uploading the picture again later today, but the filename is unique. I suspect the file size is just a little too close to the max allowed.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2004 4:30:05 PM rdurnell wrote:

I'll attempt uploading the picture again later today, but the filename is unique. I suspect the file size is just a little too close to the max allowed.
----------------

Something to try if you're running Windows and don't have a program like Photoshop: start a program called 'Paint' under Accessories, open the image file, go to stretch/skew under the image menu item, enter a percent to reduce the size by, and save as a gif.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results