shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to remake my wedding band, help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a simple 2.5 mm platinum comfort fit band with my SC Tiffany replica ring. I find it so boring, but DH gets really upset when I talk about getting a new Wedding band. I mentioned it two years ago, and he still feels the same. Anyway, he reluctantly agreed to let me change my wedding band IF AND ONLY IF I am able to reuse the platinum. So, I need to find somewhere that will be able to make me a new ring using the platinum from my current wedding band.

Has anyone here had this done? I am thinking of a simple knife edge to match my SC Tiffany e-ring, but I am open to other suggestions...

I do love this combo at Tiffany

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I don''t think it is possible to add diamonds to the PT band. For the type of diamond wedding band you are looking at, it is a specially made cast, then the diamonds are added in. When I talked to my jeweller earlier this year about adding two more diamonds to my 7 stone band, I was told that it is cheaper for me to just buy a new 9 stone band instead because they cannot reuse the setting. My jeweller would need to get a new 9 stone setting, then reuse my diamonds and add two more. I''m sorry I''m not much help.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I am ok with them remaking the whole thing, adding platinum if necessary. Basically, I would like the original metal to be melted down and used. I guess I need a platinumsmith who would be willing to work with me. Symbolically, the original metal of our ring would always be there.

Am I crazy to think anyone would take on this project?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn''t melting and reusing platinum not advisable? I''m not sure on this, I thought that''s just what I remember. Would it be possible for you to keep the wedding band as is and just get an ''anniversary'' band with diamonds?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a similar "problem" Pinkflamingo. My diamond is set in a plain Tiffany style 4 prong band, about 2.5 mm. When DH first proposed (he picked out the diamond and setting himself, all I told him was I wanted a RB center), he told me the setting could be changed. Of course at the time I didn''t know PS and all these options existed, lol! So 2 years after we were married we talked to our jeweler about resetting the diamond and asked what he could do with the existing "leftover" band. He really didn''t want to mess with it at first, and another lady who worked there said I could always keep the old band and have a different gemstone set into it. We also discussed the option that the jeweler would "buy back" the platinum band and give us a bit of a discount on the new setting.

How do you feel about keeping your existing band for a RHR? Do you like your birthstone, or sapphires or rubies? That way you could keep the band you were proposed to with, without compromising the integrity of the band itself...

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
We are going to change the setting eventually and we plan to put in another stone in it and if we have a daughter we would give it to her at a special time or if we have a son have him give it to his wife. That way the setting he proposes with will stay in our family, hopefully for a long time
1.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there-
See that is the problem, it is kind of boring to wear alone. It is just a comfort fit band. My e-ring band is fine, though. Hmmm.... anyone else know whether it is possible to re-use platinum?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sorry pinkflamingo, I misunderstood when I read your post--I thought it was your e-ring band that was in question! My mistake! Would it be possible to have a head put on the plat. band to hold a stone for your RH?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
that is a great idea, Monarch!! I wonder if that is possible? ! :) that gives me new hope!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 9:51:44 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
Hey there-

See that is the problem, it is kind of boring to wear alone. It is just a comfort fit band. My e-ring band is fine, though. Hmmm.... anyone else know whether it is possible to re-use platinum?

there are so old threads around her that might pop up if you do a search. I pretty sure it''s not really doable or advisable but can''t remember exactly why. You also might consider asking your question in RT where more of the experts will see it. Title it, reusing/melting plat. band or something..

diamondjunkie

Rough_Rock
Well, how involved in this is your husband? You could always get what you want and sell/trade your band to the jeweler as part of the upgrade and don''t tell your husband that. You can always just act like it is your original band reworked. Of course this is lying to your spouse so you have to decide if it is worth it. I guess it would depend on how important this issue is to both of you. Good Luck!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 9:57:43 PM
Author: monarch64
Oh, sorry pinkflamingo, I misunderstood when I read your post--I thought it was your e-ring band that was in question! My mistake! Would it be possible to have a head put on the plat. band to hold a stone for your RH?
Cool idea monarch. That way she could hold onto the sentimental band.

jjdon

Rough_Rock
There is no problem with metling down your old ring. It won''t be enough metal to make a whole new ring, but it''s a start. All that''s necessary is someone who knows how - a platinum worker. Otherwise, it''s routine.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2006 10:42:35 AM
Author: diamondjunkie
You could always get what you want and sell/trade your band to the jeweler as part of the upgrade and don''t tell your husband that. You can always just act like it is your original band reworked. Of course this is lying to your spouse so you have to decide if it is worth it. I guess it would depend on how important this issue is to both of you. Good Luck!

I think lying to your spouse about jewelry is a very bad idea
38.gif
No piece of jewelry is worth violating marriage trust IMO
2.gif
Especially, the item you wear to represent your marriage and the vows
23.gif
12.gif

Jolly

Rough_Rock
I believe most platinum workers will just add your ring to scrap and send it all away in one large bag to be refined at a refinery. It wouldn''t matter what you tell your husband as there is almost no chance that you will have any part of your old ring in a new design.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results