shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to buy a 12x10 oval sapphire online and not be scammed

kerryvermeer

Rough_Rock
I am brand new to this is and am trying to find a reasonably priced 12x10 oval sapphire as a gift for my son's Naval Academy ring. We purchased a stone from the ring company and were not happy when the ring arrived. They were very nice and acknowledged we weren't happy so they are crediting us back for the stone and now we are in a hurry to find a stone to fit his ring before his ring dance at the academy. We also have to find a jeweler to set the stone even though we aren't buying the stone from them. All jewelers we have visited are just way too expensive for a sapphire that size when there are so many online that appear to be so much cheaper. How do I know they are reputable. Does just saying it is genuine and comes with an appraisal make it legit? I am assuming not. I would love all feedback and guidance to make this ring a special gift for our son within our very limited budget. The original stone we purchased was a dark topaz that resembled a sapphire but when it came it definitely was not the stone we set aside and was the typical aquamarine color. Our son is really drawn to the royal blue color. Bring on the advice and suggestions....

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Want to buy a 12x10 oval sapphire online and not be scam

Do you care about treatments other than basic heat? Genuine doesn't necessarily mean untreated. BE diffused and fracture filled stones can still be considered genuine. Budget might help as "reasonably priced" is relative as 10x12 is not a small stone and can be quite pricey depending on how fussy you are. It also appears that you are looking for a calibrated stone (to fit a standard sized setting) which will limit your options. Certificates can mean a lot or nothing depending on the lab...without one, many of us go by vendor reputation.

If you post pictures of some of the stones you are looking at, others can give you their opinion and/or experience with a particular vendor.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm thinking that since you want a big stone - a 10x12 oval stone translates to a roughly 6 carat stone - and you want it fast, your best bet is to find one that has been beryllium treated or diffused. Depending upon the color you seek, a less invasively treated stone would cost thousands where a Be diffused stone can be bought for far less. Also, you are much more likely to find a treated stone with the specific parameters you seek rather than an untreated, or minimally treated, stone. One more consideration for you - do you know the depth of the ring or its limits on depth of a stone?

If this approach sounds reasonable, we can help you look. While I know they are found on ebay, I unfortunately have no experience purchasing highly treated sapphires so do not know reputable vendors. I'm thinking that maybe some of the vetted vendors here could procure one for you, but I don't really know. Hmm :think:

I agree with lilmosun that getting a sense of the color you seek would be helpful as a starting place.

kerryvermeer

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the follow up comments. I am so new to this and hope I am responding in the correct format. So many of the terms you are using to guide me are confusing to me but a step in the right direction. So, I am finding stones on websites such as gemsny within the $500-$700 range that look really good but I have no idea what it is I'm actually getting and should I use it put in the center of my son's ring. I am trying to attach a picture of an example of what they have. We are looking for a royal/medium blue sapphire and they have so many to offer. Are they real sapphires? I attempted to attach an example of the stones....hope you got it!

img_11284.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would stay with their Medium. Their Royal and Navy look so dark as to be inky black.

Genuine only means that it is a sapphire. It doesn't say anything about whether it is man made (synthetic) or made by nature.

Heated treatment covers the gamut of sub-treatments within heat. Given the low price for the huge size, I would guess that it has probably undergone diffusion (heated to almost melting point, then beryllium is added to improve the colour).

If budget is tight and you want a pretty and large stone, there is nothing inherently wrong with a diffused stone as long as the treatment is disclosed and you aren't overpaying for it.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock

This seems like an impossible task. You want a 12x10 sapphire that will fit a premade bezel opening? Finding a stone with just the right depth and other proportions (all 12x10 ovals are not alike) is hard enough, but finding someone to set it might be even harder.

Your original stone was a topaz. Jostens offers sapphires too. Can you order a new ring with a sapphire from them? Maybe it will be darker than the topaz. Can you designate the color and how light or dark you want it to be? Find a picture of the color and send it with your order?? I"m thinking out loud here.

It just seems to me that you need to stick with the original vendor and get them to replace the light stone with something darker.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1459530452|4014218 said:
I would stay with their Medium. Their Royal and Navy look so dark as to be inky black.

Genuine only means that it is a sapphire. It doesn't say anything about whether it is man made (synthetic) or made by nature.

Heated treatment covers the gamut of sub-treatments within heat. Given the low price for the huge size, I would guess that it has probably undergone diffusion (heated to almost melting point, then beryllium is added to improve the colour).

If budget is tight and you want a pretty and large stone, there is nothing inherently wrong with a diffused stone as long as the treatment is disclosed and you aren't overpaying for it.

This exactly.

Also, Indigoblue makes a good point that there are slight variations in the shape of ovals that might cause it not to fit precisely in the setting - or at least this is something to look out for and be aware of.

kerryvermeer

Rough_Rock

Thank you all! I have read all posts and spoken to many and think we have a solution. My son tried to fix the problem and let them know that we felt very certain this was not the stone we picked out last Fall. The one we picked was much darker and blue, not green like the one we received, but he was simply told this was the stone we picked and we were wrong. After reading the helpful post above I called Josten's direct and explained that we simply couldn't afford a real sapphire but we were attempting to mimic the look of a sapphire. The rep, Nancy, was so unbelievably helpful and sympathetic and on a mission on her own to find a topaz that looks more royal like we thought we originally picked. She just said she wanted our son to be happy and will personally find a stone if I trust her (which I do). Funny how two different people can make your experience wildly different but I'm so happy I found someone who could help instead of me trying to find a stone to fit that ring as you all helped me realize that was going to be close to impossible! Happy mom here...keep your fingers crossed the ring comes back as we had hoped for! Thanks again. Great site for clueless folks such as myself!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ooh nice outcome please keep us posted.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock

Humorous (I hope) sidelight: My favorite uncle was in a Naval Academy class during wartime and was quickly sent to a war zone on a ship where the fledgling officers sometimes pitched in with all sorts of manual labor. He and some of his friends almost immediately broke the glass "jewels" in their academy rings and replaced them with -- pieces of clear plastic toothbrush handles, cut to size! (He got himself a new stone after the war and bought a real stone for the academy miniature he gave his future wife as an engagement ring.)

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My father was playing catch on deck and his ring went flying into the sea.....

He replaced it....eventually.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

rocks|1459796682|4015341 said:
My father was playing catch on deck and his ring went flying into the sea.....

He replaced it....eventually.

I concur with this, the ocean is not a place for fine jewellery in my experience...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results