shape
carat
color
clarity

Want a 5.08-carat fancy light pink VVS2 round?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I want one. The question should be whether I can afford one. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were rich enough to buy it, I would have it recut. Because I would rather have a perfectly cut 4 ct. stone as opposed to a poorly cut 5 carat stone and I could afford the potential loss in value!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!
ONLY Fancy Light pink and it goes for double the pre-auction estimate!
How could Sothbey's be so far off?
FCDs have taken off.

Like 2006 said, it sure could use a recut. :knockout:
A recut may bump it into GIA's Light grade, so it would take a value hit from weight loss AND grade. ;(

gia_color_1.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I love pink diamonds, but I'd rather have a smaller more intense pink for that amount of money!! Unfortunately, it shows how much pink diamonds are escalating in price, especially the larger ones!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1348503925|3273721 said:
I love pink diamonds, but I'd rather have a smaller more intense pink for that amount of money!! Unfortunately, it shows how much pink diamonds are escalating in price, especially the larger ones!

Very true - perhaps the buyer for a stone like this would place more emphasis on size rather than colour.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1348504113|3273722 said:

Very true - perhaps the buyer for a stone like this would place more emphasis on size rather than colour.

While price peaks at Vivid I could understand if an individual who could afford anything preferred softer intensities of color.
Just because the market says strong color is better does not mean individuals must agree.

Clearly with this stone the cutter was told that the magic 5-ct milestone was the top priority.
This is understandable from a business perspective since so much money was at stake.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1348504454|3273724 said:
Chrono|1348504113|3273722 said:

While price peaks at Vivid I could understand if an individual who could afford anything preferred softer intensities of color.
Just because the market says strong color is better does not mean individuals must agree.

Clearly with this stone the cutter was told that the magic 5-ct milestone was the top priority.
This is understandable from a business perspective since so much money was at stake.

Kenny, I actually do like the softer pinks-not vivid pink. But, so many light fancy pinks don't even look pink when they're set. I guess if I had that kind of money to spend-I'd just want my pink diamond to look PINK!! Now if someone wanted to give me that 5 ct. beauty- I certainly would be happy to take it. :D

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1348496781|3273628 said:
Wow!

It's actually not that uncommon. The auction houses put a low estimate to generate interest. The more interested parties involved means the higher chances for a bidding war and more money for the auction house.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1348515974|3273851 said:
kenny|1348496781|3273628 said:
Wow!

It's actually not that uncommon. The auction houses put a low estimate to generate interest. The more interested parties involved means the higher chances for a bidding war and more money for the auction house.

How sneaky. :Up_to_something:

I know they give the seller an estimate too.
I wonder if it's the same number.

Low prices may excite buyers, but high prices excite sellers.
Maybe they give sellers a more realistic number to get the listing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results