shape
carat
color
clarity

Wallpaper- what do you really think?

EmilyWan

Rough_Rock
I like wallpapering, thanks to that type of decorating the room look comfier. It also gives you an opportunity to develop your designing skills xD I prefer the wallpaper in the first picture, the color and patterning are nice. I also practice writing articles on this topic, so If someone is interested, please check it out-https://www.bestadvisor.com/how-to/how-to-remove-old-wallpaper I'm an amateur writer, but I try to do my best)

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I’ve decided to wallpaper my entry in Maryland. It’s very small..so I will only have a small amount of paper on three walls. I won’t do anything crazy but something subtle that will give it a pop. I’ll take before and after pics after I find the paper. I also want to get a new mirror and table for the entry..Think doll size..lol.. Thanks for the push!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, wallpaper is in, big time. we redid our main living area and kitchen last year and the decorator talked me into 'grass' paper in the dining room, now I too, like @whitewave was a victim of the 'removing wallpaper at your own risk'.. I learned there is a white goop you can buy to repair sheetrock that is damaged (it's got some plastic in it I think).. if walls are not prepped for wallpaper then it will be a HUGE PITA and BTCH to get off, this happened to me in my house in Austin TX, and we built it, did I know the walls weren't prepped or even needed to be? NOPE. I like the look of the grass wallpaper but it was very expensive (for me anyway)... color doesn't match because it's handmade etc.. BUT according to my decorator and I like the woman so I believe her, it has TEXTURE (because texture is in too I guess)... I am basically saying, make sure your wallks are prepped properly or you too will become friends with teeny weeny little tiny pieces of paper cominig off your wall or the top of your sheetrock comes off when you finally get a larger than a bread box size of paper off.. prepping makes all the difference if down the road you want to repaper or fix and paint. there are many beautiful and cool papers to be had that really can give a pop to a room.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad wallpaper is coming back. I haven’t had wallpaper in my house for 20 years but stumbled upon some pics from our first home and an apartment when I was single and wallpaper really did a lot for the room.

My mom worked in a wallpaper store when I was a kid. Our house was re-wallpapered multiple times a year. My mom was a decorating nut but our home always looked like it a decorating magazine. One year my bedroom was redone three times in a month, because she kept finding wallpaper she liked better. My friends all thought it was so cool.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Having grown up with it in the 80s, my feelings are...complicated. I would not do an entire house with it. Perhaps as a reactionary thing, I prefer simpler and cleaner looks to what was popular in my youth.

HOWEVER, in a small space like a powder room, it can be stunning and quite dramatic. (Of course, says my devil’s advocate, so can some darker paint). I would also keep in mind, as several others have mentioned, difficulty of removal and whether you plan to sell.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate removing wallpaper...but I learned early on to prime the walls first. It sounds like a lot of extra work..but you’ll be happy you did it when it’s time to remove it. I’m sure there’s better stuff out there to remove it..but I always used fabric softener and water.
I have to decide on the wallpaper....:think:

Reactions: AV_

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, did you settle on wallpaper or paint for your home office?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I love wallpaper but I have yet to put it on a wall.
EFE175D7-9781-4502-B4B9-824439D20A77.jpeg
I have papered the backs of thrifted bookshelves though and my next project is to wallpaper a large 5-panel folding screen (rather than paper the wall which would be more expensive and I wouldn’t be able to take with me when I move). Inspo pic:
5A2A618C-06AA-4E3A-9181-5E1127132CF1.jpeg
My favorite source for wallpaper info and gossip is Laurel Bern. https://laurelberninteriors.com/?s=Wallpaper

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results