shape
carat
color
clarity

Wallpaper- what do you really think?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
What does anyone that cares to read this thread and reply think of wallpaper?

I have a dedicated home office. It's about 13 x 13 or 14 x 14. Ceilings are about 14 feet high. I have a very big window that's almost floor to ceiling with a half moon at the top.

I hate the paint in this room. It's a light blue and then there is a chair rail with tan. Not to mention some awful painted light houses under the rail from the prior owner. I have a built in wrap around desk/shelving that is maple and the floors are also fairly light bamboo. This is one of the few rooms we have not touched decor wise.

So, is wallpaper awful and outdated? I would have to pay some one to do it because of the height and the window, etc.

I am thinking something like these:

Is this actually a horrible idea?

285931_2_.jpg

357690_2_.jpg

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I love wallpaper incredibly much, and if it's considered out of date, well then, please let's bring it back!
I grew up with that classic pattern in the second pic...it's a beautiful rendition of the one on my Mom's walls when SHE was a child in the 40's.
The first pic looks charmingly French Provincial and I love that as well.
Plus, aren't wallpaper books a yummy indulgence! OOOOH, I could spend all day flipping through their big floppy pages !

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a wallpaper person. But as I sit here in my "brothel" noting the plaster dust on my walls and shelves despite one deep clean so far, I'm really wishing I papered instead of patching and painting lllol.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore that first wallpaper, colour, pattern everything. And it would look gorgeous with the wood you've stated. I think wallpaper is fantastic and a great option to brighten and transform a room.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love wallpaper, and wallpapering. I really like the first one, I think in a bright room, it’ll stand out more.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wallpaper it! All over is my preference :twisted2:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like wallpaper. Well it depends on the wallpaper but some are just absolutely gorgeous.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I detest wallpaper with a passion and about 8 years ago removed it all from my house, which thankfully was only in two bathrooms. All the painters only wanted to paint over it, which I also despise, so I removed it all myself, which was a giant PITA.

At the most, I would say do only one wall, but that is me, a person who detests wallpaper.

As an aside, my neighborhood is turning over from retired people in their 70s/80s/90s to a much younger crowd, and their houses are gorgeous in structure but looks like someone puked up flowers and wallpaper inside, and as a result, they are having trouble selling. I know people looking to buy who have ruled these houses out because of the wallpaper and how work intensive it is to remove it properly. (Apparently I’m not alone in hating painted over wall paper).

So anyway, just my 2 cents which is clearly not worth much. I do think the first pic is pretty fwiw.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
GOOD wallpaper is not the same as cheap paint store paper. It's very expensive and beautifully made with amazing inks and dyes. There is also the option of using fabric to cover the walls...yes! Sort of a lost art. It's incredible when all is said and done. Provides great insulation, the walls never feel cold to the touch ( very nice in a nursery for example) and lasts forever.
I love the idea of doing one wall...behind the bed for example, or in the entrance way.

Your office will feel like a cozy nest !

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
As far as what's in style or not, I prefer to stay a bit off the mainstream with that anyway. I mean, if you have the very latest trend, the flipside of that is it soon becomes dated. While I don't really want to live in a house that screams "outdated," I'm also far too lazy to constantly remodel.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
GOOD wallpaper is not the same as cheap paint store paper. It's very expensive and beautifully made with amazing inks and dyes. There is also the option of using fabric to cover the walls...yes! Sort of a lost art. It's incredible when all is said and done. Provides great insulation, the walls never feel cold to the touch ( very nice in a nursery for example) and lasts forever.
I love the idea of doing one wall...behind the bed for example, or in the entrance way.

Your office will feel like a cozy nest !

You know what? My mom suggested the fabric idea too. I think I'm going to get my estimate. I like the large scale prints. It may not be for everyone but I like it. Nice paper is expensive.

I could also do a half wall thing. Top half paper bottom paint with separation by chair rail. I see that a lot too with busier papers.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You should. You know I have good taste. :lol:

OMG look at this wallpaper. I LOVEEEEE.......

102888154.jpg

See, I love that too! I think it's classic looking.

I wouldn't want every room in the house like that, but it's kind of like its own little piece of artwork.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I’ll take your word for it.

Lol- it's actually in a lot of design magazines but I get it! Some folks are very opposed. One of my co-workers asked if I was going to start wearing a bonnet in the room if I did the wallpaper...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol- it's actually in a lot of design magazines but I get it! Some folks are very opposed. One of my co-workers asked if I was going to start wearing a bonnet in the room if I did the wallpaper...

Lol. Mean, but funny :lol:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I adore that first wallpaper, colour, pattern everything. And it would look gorgeous with the wood you've stated. I think wallpaper is fantastic and a great option to brighten and transform a room.

I'm going to get my quote for installation. And room measurements. I know it won't be cheap, but it's one room where I don't have to compromise on colors or anything really. Everything else is a mutually agreed with my OH. I had to really push for him to agree to the pale yellow kitchen. :lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh the idea of fabric walls, I like.
One thing is true, is that wallpaper is a b- to remove. My mother had wallpaper in her kitchen since late 70's. At one point it started to look dated, and man was that hard to remove! So doing it in a small room, on an accent wall, etc might be best rather than doing every single wall.
One thing I do detest, is those wall paper strips that people sometimes put up usually along the top of the wall. Sometimes in the kitchen, sometimes in a kid's room. Just -no.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO living in a place and getting it ready for sale are two different things. So put up all the wallpaper you like and enjoy it but be ready to take it off when it's time to sell. We didn't buy a house because it was wallpapered up to kazoo. Our contractor gave us an estimate to remove and then patch the walls that was in the thousands and i wasn't about to start removing wallpaper myself from 2 story foyer at 7mos pregnant.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can also get adhesive, hand-painted wall murals like this:
6130norBLaL.jpg

I also like the idea of not overdoing it and just doing an accent wall. I forgot how much I liked this one. Found it on Amazon. You can also search Wayfair and Joss & Main, I believe.

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember in the late 80s I was dating a boy whose family was very wealthy and in their Brooklyn Heights townhouse they had painted walls that looked like wallpaper. It was really quite amazing and I wish I remembered more details about it. All I can remember is how beautiful it was.

As for how I feel about wallpaper it's complicated. I grew up with wallpaper. I had a purple flower wallpapered ceiling in the late 60s and 70s. It was pretty awesome. Purple was my favorite color and well who wouldn't want a purple ceiling filled with flowers at age 4? :lol:

We had wallpaper in the dining room and bathrooms. It was pretty to start but with time it started to look less nice and as mentioned above it can be challenging to remove and replace.

To answer your question about wallpaper. I like it but it depends entirely on the wallpaper.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You can also get adhesive, hand-painted wall murals like this:
6130norBLaL.jpg

I also like the idea of not overdoing it and just doing an accent wall. I forgot how much I liked this one. Found it on Amazon. You can also search Wayfair and Joss & Main, I believe.

I like the large scale murals too. I’ve been thinking about that as well. That’s a neat one.

I should be getting an estimate this week. I wish the ceilings weren’t so high. We could do it ourselves then.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
IMO living in a place and getting it ready for sale are two different things. So put up all the wallpaper you like and enjoy it but be ready to take it off when it's time to sell. We didn't buy a house because it was wallpapered up to kazoo. Our contractor gave us an estimate to remove and then patch the walls that was in the thousands and i wasn't about to start removing wallpaper myself from 2 story foyer at 7mos pregnant.

I can see that! This would be only one room. Everything else is paint.

I see this as being our last permanent house too, unless we have to relocate due to work, but that’s really unlikely. I feel like an entire house of wallpaper is a lot though!

We looked at a house that had a master bath with a spa tub that had of all things, a stained glass window that stretched the length of the tub that was a giant swan! We didn’t like it, but we were willing to live with it for a decent bit of time. We passed on the house for other reasons but it was weird!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love wallpaper..although I don’t have wallpaper in my house. I’ve been thinking of putting it up in my small entry in my house in Maryland. That house was built in 1904. Old houses are quirky..My living room is a big long room..but the entry next to it is very small. It would give it a pretty pop when you come in.....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it depends what country you live in
the Brits seem to use a lot of wallpaper
i like it
it looks warm and can improve the look of a less than perfect wall
right now huge florals are all the go
we have a 1950s house
im thinking about palm trees down one side of out quite narrow dark hall
sometimes people - maybe younger people are scared of what they can't remember and its sad people don't always have vision to see beyound decor
we brought our house because it was structurally sound not because we liked the borring safe dove grey paint every thing is painted - i now hate grey

there are some beautiful wallpaper murals around that can be made to size
id love to wall paper my small entry - just on one wall and then mirror that on another small wall once you get into the main living room

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results