shape
carat
color
clarity

Wall decor ideas for a tall, echo prone hallway/open stair design

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am trying to figure out an economical solution for a bare hallway that echoes sound from the lower level.
Open living is great, until the noise travels through the home. Our first level has 14' ceilings and in the center of the home is an open stairway that leads to a second living room and kitchen. To help trap sound, I am thinking of adding acoustic panels or some other large cloth item to trap sound.

I have an idea to add a large antique quilt (or two), but not sure that it would fit the rest of the home, which I would say is transitional with a few antiques. Another idea might be to make a large wall hanging of macrame and fiber art, but my color scheme tends to be quiet and rather beige (I am dubbed the queen of beige by my color-loving friends). Not exactly fair, I like grey too.

Open to other ideas, suggestions! Thanks in advance for your time.
The front entrance opens into a hallway and the staircase balcony is on the left. My dear cat follows me around.
20190901_140910.jpg
The second view shows hubby's office. It was originally a formal dining room, but we have a lovely dining space elsewhere. Eventually would like to close that in and add 8' double doors (match entrance door) to close off the mess.
20190901_140917.jpg
20190901_140935.jpg
View from the other size near the kitchen.

It's just so boring, even to me :)

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
We had the same issue in our open concept condo. Unfortunately, I think there's not much you can do. I would invest in some stationary drapery everywhere that's feasible: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-case-for-stationary-draperies-stsetivw-vs~24798627

Especially the photo with the yellow chair, I'd do ivory stationary drapes starting at the ceiling over your front door. If you wanted additional privacy, use etched glass window cling.

If you pick basic fabrics, the cost will all be the labor.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your cat is awesome :D

A large glittering chandelier in that stairwell would create a great focal point!

As you say, though, you need to add absorbing materials to kill sound reflections - could perhaps the wall opposite the stairwell be a good location for something like a padded / cushioned wall installation? It could be a vibrant bold colour in a nice material, or it could be a bit 'arty' and have a pattern or several colours :)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m suggesting this idea as it is cheap an easy but it may not be your personal taste, although personally I really do like them. A ‘tapestry’ from Etsy company Decorvm. Lots of different designs to choose from and they do go big (88 x 104 inches for example)
3DD00AD7-A7F2-45E2-9E98-30AB37296229.jpeg C6B49B76-1412-4838-9529-605F77519701.jpeg 609FA0E0-4D77-4D56-B5C5-E8FF4E15823C.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you could do a tufted pillow wall piece? It would definitely absorb some of the sound. Between fabric/color/texture choice as well as tuft pattern/orientation there would be a ton of options. You could do choose an elegant ivory or beige monochrome wall piece or go for something more slightly more elaborate like a subtle grey/ivory/silver fabric.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts! I am continuing to think this through.

@Grymera I agree with the idea of additional drapes. I was going to add them to the living room on the other side of the central stairway to help trap sound. I never thought of such tall curtains by the front. I love the curtains you pointed out by the yellow chair in your link. Absolutely beautiful.

@OoohShiny Thank you! We adore him too. He has a Facebook page. My friends kept telling me they liked his photos :) He's a super sweet boy that is a big, ungraceful chonk.
https://www.facebook.com/chunkytunanow has more pictures

Yes, I do think it needs that sound catching installation of something thick. The wall at the landing (hidden from main hallway) would be a less intrusive place to put some heavy padding or wall installation and might trap it before it gets upstairs. I put a quilt over the railing this weekend to see if it would help the sound a little. Not a huge difference.

Oh yeah, I have long wondered about a cool chandelier there. :)

@meely I have considered thos tapestries, but I think to absorb this much echo, the item I hang will need to be thicker. If I did find and choose a tapestry, I would need to mount it to something. It's a good thought. I have looked and will continue to look.

@marymm
I love that thought. I may play with some mock-ups of this idea and see what it would look like. Maybe panels that treat the space like picture frame molding.

More later, I am off to work

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More cats! Their delightful fluff will muffle the noise.

If your kitty must be the king of the castle, with no other cats, then I like your initial idea of a hanging wall art and @marymm 's suggestion of a tufted wall. It looks luxurious and it'd be practical.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
More cats! Their delightful fluff will muffle the noise.

If your kitty must be the king of the castle, with no other cats, then I like your initial idea of a hanging wall art and @marymm 's suggestion of a tufted wall. It looks luxurious and it'd be practical.

Hahaha, you make me laugh in a meeting. What a GREAT solution. More cats!

@elizat Oh right, the noise may offset the echo. Cats in the stairwell. Mr. McFluffypants has noticed the stairwell has particularly favorable acoustics and loves to MRRROOOOWWWRRRRR on the stairs.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s a beautiful entry and upper landing. I would add area rugs and runners in hallways...drapes like the previous people suggested...If you can fit an upholstered bench or chair with pillows..and a large tapestry on a large wall would also work.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It’s a beautiful entry and upper landing. I would add area rugs and runners in hallways...drapes like the previous people suggested...If you can fit an upholstered bench or chair with pillows..and a large tapestry on a large wall would also work.

Great ideas, @Mamabean thank you! I love the idea of more rugs and an upholstered bench to absorb sound. I have been looking for a tapestry that would fit into the rest of the house. Am keeping an eye on eBay to see if just the right thing turns up. Also, I have thought about an old antique rug on the wall.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great ideas, @Mamabean thank you! I love the idea of more rugs and an upholstered bench to absorb sound. I have been looking for a tapestry that would fit into the rest of the house. Am keeping an eye on eBay to see if just the right thing turns up. Also, I have thought about an old antique rug on the wall.
An antique rug on the wall would be great!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results