shape
carat
color
clarity

Waiting on an AGL cert for this blue beauty

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
A couple of weeks ago I reached out to Inken looking for a replacement sapphire for my ring since I wasn't having much luck finding one in the size I needed (6.2mm round). I totally understand now why the standard advice is to buy a stone first and find a setting second since it's so limiting to have to fit specific dimensions, but unfortunately that doesn't work for replacements! :))
Although it's smaller than what Inken typically works with, she agreed to take this on. She checked with a supplier and found this lovely sapphire - her pic first, mine second. I really like how straight-up Inken's "glam shots" are... what I saw in her pictures was very true-to-life with what I saw in person.

01inken1.JPG 01.JPG

It was a new arrival so it doesn't have a cert yet, so we agreed that I would review the stone in person and if I liked it, I would send it back for a cert, and my purchase is contingent on it being certified unheated/untreated. So that's where I'm at now - she received it yesterday and is bringing it to AGL, which I think has a several-week wait time.

So as I'm waiting out the clock, here are a few more pics & some video!

Direct sunlight - this glows nearly electric blue. The color in the pic is close but doesn't fully do it justice since cameras have a tendency to make the brightest spots white and adjust the rest from there. It flashes a very bright light blue in the sun, not white like the camera makes it.

02.JPG

I'd asked Inken for something a bit sleepy (my personal preference) with enough silk to help hold color in all lighting. Here's her pic in diffuse light - I really like that glow!

02inken2.JPG

And here's a video of mine in similar conditions. My home office has a large window that faces east and a small one facing south, so in late afternoon it's very shaded and diffuse. Here's how it looks in that lighting, compared with the sapphire in the ring I'm going to replace - it's a very saturated teal which blacks out in a lot of lighting (which is why I want to replace it).

Indirect sunlight - by and large this is about as dark as it gets (and still a very pretty blue!)

04.JPG

Even in really terrible lighting, it still throws off blue! This is in a dark room where the only light source is a computer monitor.

05.JPG

And one more video, this is in my living room which has LEDs with a sort of reddish tone - great for sparkle, terrible for color. You can see that the original sapphire is nearly black with only a few minor teal flashes, but the new one holds color extremely well.

Fingers crossed that AGL certifies it unheated/untreated - if they do, we'll try again with another stone, but I was really happy with the color performance across all kinds of lighting with this one!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of weeks ago I reached out to Inken looking for a replacement sapphire for my ring since I wasn't having much luck finding one in the size I needed (6.2mm round). I totally understand now why the standard advice is to buy a stone first and find a setting second since it's so limiting to have to fit specific dimensions, but unfortunately that doesn't work for replacements! :))
Although it's smaller than what Inken typically works with, she agreed to take this on. She checked with a supplier and found this lovely sapphire - her pic first, mine second. I really like how straight-up Inken's "glam shots" are... what I saw in her pictures was very true-to-life with what I saw in person.

01inken1.JPG 01.JPG

It was a new arrival so it doesn't have a cert yet, so we agreed that I would review the stone in person and if I liked it, I would send it back for a cert, and my purchase is contingent on it being certified unheated/untreated. So that's where I'm at now - she received it yesterday and is bringing it to AGL, which I think has a several-week wait time.

So as I'm waiting out the clock, here are a few more pics & some video!

Direct sunlight - this glows nearly electric blue. The color in the pic is close but doesn't fully do it justice since cameras have a tendency to make the brightest spots white and adjust the rest from there. It flashes a very bright light blue in the sun, not white like the camera makes it.

02.JPG

I'd asked Inken for something a bit sleepy (my personal preference) with enough silk to help hold color in all lighting. Here's her pic in diffuse light - I really like that glow!

02inken2.JPG

And here's a video of mine in similar conditions. My home office has a large window that faces east and a small one facing south, so in late afternoon it's very shaded and diffuse. Here's how it looks in that lighting, compared with the sapphire in the ring I'm going to replace - it's a very saturated teal which blacks out in a lot of lighting (which is why I want to replace it).

Indirect sunlight - by and large this is about as dark as it gets (and still a very pretty blue!)

04.JPG

Even in really terrible lighting, it still throws off blue! This is in a dark room where the only light source is a computer monitor.

05.JPG

And one more video, this is in my living room which has LEDs with a sort of reddish tone - great for sparkle, terrible for color. You can see that the original sapphire is nearly black with only a few minor teal flashes, but the new one holds color extremely well.

Fingers crossed that AGL certifies it unheated/untreated - if they do, we'll try again with another stone, but I was really happy with the color performance across all kinds of lighting with this one!

OOOH, that is so pretty!!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pretty! Hope it all checks out at AGL.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. That is a dream colored blue! :love::love:

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'm optimistic that it will check out fine, Inken was pretty confident about it and my appraiser didn't notice any obvious signs of heating (since some can be visible with a loupe!) It's just the wait that feels like forever :D

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sparkles like a diamond!!!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
That is an incredible sapphire. Love it!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it comes back as promised. Love the colouration in various light sources. Doesn't get too dark or too light or drab.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty! I'm glad you were able to find a stone worth falling for given the previously stated restraints. Im with you on loving slightly sleepy gems for the glow!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm with you and @Mrs_Strizzle on slight sleepiness too. I was admiring both my ruby rings. The slight silk in both hides tilt windows! Whereas my precision cut stones, while excellent cut, will still show tilt windows.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very nice color

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, good luck with the AGL report.

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
And the results (and ring!) are back in! Certified unheated/untreated (which I wanted), and turns out it's from Madagascar. I wasn't shopping for any particular location - someday I'd love a Kashmir but that's out of my budget for now!! - so the origin was more of a curiosity than anything else.

Anyway, pics! This baby just glows in partial light, which is perfect :D

1.JPG

And three other outdoor pics - full shade, direct sun, and light shade:
outdoor1.JPG outdoor2.JPG outdoor3.JPG

While (to my eye) it's more of a medium blue outside, inside it looks lighter.

indoor2.JPG indoor3.JPG

I wanted something that, at arm's length, was obviously blue and this definitely meets that goal!

indoor1.JPG

It's really hard to capture how it looks in the sun since my phone camera basically makes the brightest thing white, but the sapphire doesn't flash white, it flashes almost electric blue. The closest I got is my direct sun pic in my first post here, but even that doesn't exactly capture how it looks in real life.
indoor6.JPG indoor5.JPG indoor4.JPG

voce

Ideal_Rock
I've got a blue sapphire each from Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Burma. A blue sapphire from Madagascar is next on my collector's list. As @mpc's and yours (maybe @Lilith112's, as well, but not sure if I have remembered correctly) show, Madagascar's cornflower blues are quite a sight to behold, with silkiness as well as brilliance.

Congrats on your beautiful sapphire, and I hope you enjoy it for many, many years to come! =)2

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
I've got a blue sapphire each from Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Burma. A blue sapphire from Madagascar is next on my collector's list. As @mpc's and yours (maybe @Lilith112's, as well, but not sure if I have remembered correctly) show, Madagascar's cornflower blues are quite a sight to behold, with silkiness as well as brilliance.

Congrats on your beautiful sapphire, and I hope you enjoy it for many, many years to come! =)2

Yes, @mpc's gorgeous sapphire was one of my inspirations when I was looking for a replacement stone for this ring. I really like how hers kept beautiful color in so many different lighting conditions. This stone was the first one that I evaluated where I really liked how it stayed blue AND it was cut well (no window!) so the brilliance was really good too.

If you do get a Madagascar I'd love to see a lineup pic of all of yours, I bet that'd be a beautiful picture!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madagascar has sapphires that look like Kashmir origin. It’s beautiful, congrats!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and ring!!!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

Yep, mine is also from Madagascar! Personally, I'm finding I prefer sapphires coming from that region as opposed to Sri Lanka, but I'm quite biased XD

mpc

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone and love the setting! It looks amazing together!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results