shape
carat
color
clarity

Waiting for my custom set, how did I do on stone/price?

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Can't say how helpful this site has been. I've gone from knowing very basic things to really delving in! First off my journey (fiance told me I'd be wearing it so I did all the research):

1) I initially went to a local B&M off of Yelp and tried to sell me a super deep diamond ".97" (67.7%!!), then I slightly educated myself on GIA vs EGL and went back and they downplayed the difference.
2) Then met up with a local guy who does the whole microscope deal but still showed a lot of me a lot of EGL options, it was all kind of sterile and ok experience overall, didn't really discuss cut quality with me.
3) Went to another B&M and showed me around 1 ct in my price range of around $5k for the stone. I started asking and looking at the stats, which I somewhat familiarized myself with he knew I was different from your average buyer. He gets a lot of engineers and they're in a business park so he started showing me how cut really matters, fell in love with a .77 XXX. I KNOW....smaller!! Although the cert did't indicate it, it's a pretty good H&A under the viewer!

Here are the stats:

GIA 2146107353
HCA: 1.4

ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements 5.84 - 5.87 x 3.65 mm
Carat Weight 0.77 carat
Color Grade F
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Excellent

PROPORTIONS
Depth 62.4 %
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 34.5°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None

FINISH
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent

FLUORESCENCE
Fluorescence None

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Clarity Characteristics Cloud

I don't have other photos than these showing the symmetry:

Price: $4,300. With a custom 14k White ering gold setting, 1/2 eternity pave, 2 mm width with milgrain edge and matching wedding band: $6,800 total. They're matching the melee on the ering band and wedding band so they'll be F/VS as well. Kinda wished I knew about Whiteflashes' ACA bands before, but oh well. I think I still did alright?

I'll post pics when I get it!! I know it's a touch deeper on the ideal side, but great deal for B&M imo and comparable to online prices. I'm aware of trying not to "advertise" but I had a really great B&M experience so if anyone is in Southern California I'd be happy to pass along the place. Thanks again for all the valuable advice PS'ers!

77_pointer_f_vs2.jpg

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
No feedback? I did either ok or REALLY bad, hahaha :)

darkadam

Rough_Rock
No problems at all ! The only thing is the depth as you mentioned, but other then that, it looks excellent ! Deifnitely a very good price for a B&M ! Your setting sounds wonderful as well ! Don't forget to post pictures ! :)

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Thanks darkadam, will do when I get it!!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think that you did ok. :)) I just looked up a few comps on JA and found a .82 F VS2 for $4300 (I think ....I just closed my screen, oops!) and you likely could have gone down a bit in color to get a larger and still very white stone. JA also offers a wire discount and an additional discount to PSers so you likely would have saved even more. That said, there is value in shopping locally. You support area business and people. You got to view and compare stones side by side IRL, you now have a personal relationship with a jeweler who will hopeful be able to assist you for years to come should you ever have problems or concerns about your ring. Did your jeweler discuss any available upgrade, trade in or buy back policies available to you? DId you purchase with a full money back guarantee in the case that you receive the ring and setting and are not as happy as you had hoped? DId you get all of these things in writing?

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Because it's custom work, that's not guaranteed money back, but they do strive to make people happy. I also saw my setting in store, just no pave, but then I saw their pave on another ring in store. They do offer diamond buy back if you upgrade to something at least double in price, but the guy I worked with said he'd buy back my diamond any day. Oh and their buy back is listed on their site and warranty on the receipt.....great point Christina!!

They have a pretty robust website and 2 locations, 1 in Los Angeles and 1 in Orange County and been in business 30+ years and actually do some diamond cutting as well. I did like seeing things IRL as diamonds I feel carry so much personality!

I did commit before really delving into PS, but I think it's a beautiful diamond, albiet maybe $200-$300 more than maybe some of the recommended online vendors here for something comparable. The thing was just exquisite when we took it outside!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You chose a great diamond! I appreciate local retailers who actually carry excellent cut stones and sell them at reasonable retail rates. You certainly should name your jeweler! No reason not to!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice well cut stone... :appl:

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Agreed Diamondseeker! Place is Liberty Diamonds in Irvine. Working with Troy, he's big cut quality guy.

brellymom

Shiny_Rock
Good job! It looks great. While there may have been some savings going online, I personally was willing to pay a slight premium to see it in person right away, look the vendor in the eye, and have a local place to go to for adjustments, issues, etc. Sounds like you did great in choice and price - YAY!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results