shape
carat
color
clarity

Wait??? Round vs. Fancy? Fancy is cheaper for same size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:46:53 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Date: 2/25/2009 4:36:08 PM

Author: Rockdiamond

Date: 2/25/2009 10:53:02 AM

Author: lovindiamonds

Thank you for all of this GREAT education!!!! What knowledge you all have. With regard to saying that only the background mathmatics have become available in recent years, it makes me wonder if people have become more crazy about the math - the angle the measurements, etc......rather than just by going with the 4 C''s. I know there is more involved, but probably the advent of shopping on the internet rather than just putting the rock on your finger changed a lot of that??

I mean, if I put it on my finger and it''s sparkly and lovely....I probably won''t care about the pavillion!
This is a great point lovingdiamonds.

If a person is shopping for a round diamond, the ''established parameters'' are much easier agreed upon by those in the trade. Not to say everyone agrees on what looks the best, but the parameters are fairly well established.

There are efforts to ''standardize'' fancy shapes, but I feel that will never be practical as there''s far more subjectivity involved.

After all, how many shapes can a round diamond be?

A cushion, for example, can be almost round, almost square, oval shaped, or rectangular.

In terms of which gives the most bang for the buck, again it''s an interesting conversation- with no hard fast answer.

For example, some fancy shaped diamonds can be far more shallow than a round, and still manage to look very nice.

Generally a more shallow stone will have a greater ''spread''- although this is not true in every case.

If we''re considering emerald cuts, for the purposes of this conversation, we''ve seen some doozies that were cut to 50% depth. Such a stone could dwarf an emerald of similar profile cut to 70% depth- and both could be gorgeous.

AS I mentioned before, my method for selection is to focus more on the visual aspects. Of course knowing the numbers is vital, but if you''re a ''visually driven'' shopper, looking for a fancy shape, don''t let numbers cloud what you''re looking at

.....use the force Luke
35.gif
If we are talking about colorless diamonds (opposed to fancy colored), then I think that an emerald cut with a 50% depth would indeed be a doozie, and not in a good way
23.gif
It isn''t necessary to proclaim every oddball gorgeous even if you do run a diamond orphanage.
Someone runs a diamond orphanage? I''ll take home the little babies!
2.gif

(No need for a reply! Just a harmless joke!)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Double post.
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results