shape
carat
color
clarity

vvs2 or vs1 please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thomasw

Rough_Rock
I had a 0.9, d colored, oval, vvs2 diamond with no flurosence with a medium girdle. i have been offerred as a replacement a 0.91, d colored, oval, vs2 diamond with medium blue fluorescence with a medium to thick girdle. The "face" of the new new diamond is smaller than the face of the original. Do you think these two diamonds are equally valuable?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
No they are not the same! Is someone telling you that they are?

I don't have exact pricing, but I'll bet that VS2 to VVS2 in a D color is a 15%-20% jump in price. In addition, the cut quality plays a role, so make sure you are comparing apples to appples.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Likely not the same. Get more information of the cut. Remember, you have to compare potatoes to potatoes, I mean apples to apples.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Two clarity grades difference, D color .90/.91 oval same price...not a chance. I will trade the VS2 for a VVS2 any day. Does that sound like a fair trade? NOT unless the VVS2 is a very bad cut and ugly.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Clarity is one issue, here; but Cut is equally
if not more important.

What was the cut quality of the Oval you lost?
What is the Cut quality of the Oval being offered to you?

You say the "face" of the offered Oval is 'smaller" than the one you lost. How does this one look to you compared
to the one you had? As good, better, worse?
Difficult to advise you without more information such as
a MegaScope/Sarin analysis.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, cut's the wild card here. If the second diamond is a significantly nicer cut, then that would tend to balance things out.

Rapaport lists a 13.7% difference in price per carat between two stones of equal cut grade, while Palmieri lists a 6.7% difference. Both are respected price guides, with Rapaport probably commanding more credibility.

If you like the stone, tell them that you'll take it along with the difference in value credited towards the mounting of your choice.

thomasw

Rough_Rock
thanks for all your help. i posted more details of the original and replacement diamond under "i don't want to be awkward" from the help i got from this and your answers i decided to ask the jeweller to look for a new stone

thomasw

Rough_Rock
thanks for all your help. i posted more details of the original and replacement diamond under "i don't want to be awkward" from the help i got from this and your answers i decided to ask the jeweller to look for a new stone

barry

Shiny_Rock
Let us know what he comes up with.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results