shape
carat
color
clarity

VVS2 (is it worth the price difference?)

free-user

Rough_Rock

i cant decide between both. The SI2 is eye clean. The price difference is 1.5k (the VVS2 being more expensive). Im also not a seasoned image critic but the SI2 does have better symmetry and perhaps even IS image????

Attachments

• AGS-cert.jpeg
    AGS-cert.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this for an ering? IMO I would not go with a Si2 for my ering. I am fine with Si diamonds for earrings, pendants or RHR but for my ering I'd go stick with at least VS clarity. Knowing me I'd be looking all the time to see if I can find any inclusions and if I found them I wouldn't be able to un-see them. Whether it's worth the extra money is up to you - I'll pay more for color and clarity; others have different priorities.

free-user

Rough_Rock
Is this for an ering? IMO I would not go with a Si2 for my ering. I am fine with Si diamonds for earrings, pendants or RHR but for my ering I'd go stick with at least VS clarity. Knowing me I'd be looking all the time to see if I can find any inclusions and if I found them I wouldn't be able to un-see them. Whether it's worth the extra money is up to you - I'll pay more for color and clarity; others have different priorities.

Diamond ring

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
generally, a diamond for a ring on the hand, i am of the opinion, that an eye clean vs2 is best.

a very very small percentage of si1 stones, can be eye clean, and must be determined on a stone by stone basis

personally, i absolutely, think it is worth it to pay for vvs clarity

hope that helps

Not going into these two diamonds specifically because I’m not qualified to pass judgements on cut quality, but rather just sharing my opinion on VVS2 vs SI2:

I do think that there’s nothing wrong with considering an SI2 diamond for a ring, if it’s truly eye clean then it doesn’t matter in that it’ll look the same as a VVS2. However, you really have to determine how eye clean is the diamond in its face up view to you, and why exactly did it receive an SI2 grading? Are there any durability or transparency concerns? Are you going to be bothered by the thought of inclusions? What if there are eye visible inclusions on the sides? What is the opportunity cost of the extra money?

Personally my sweet spot is VS1-VS2, so if you can find something in that range I personally think you’d be better off, but of course it depends on if it checks off the rest of your boxes. If not, then you’ll have to make an assessment between the options you already have.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My own mind clean clarity is VS for an ER, however I would consider a lower grade if it is definitely eye clean, and I would want to verify that myself.

It really depends on your own 4C priorities.

DK :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks pretty eye clean. I personally like no lower than Si1 but that one looks better than many si1 I have seen. It’s all about what is clean enough for you.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I personally value VVS clarity especially for engagement rings. If all else is equal (except for maybe a tiny bit of carat size), I would definitely go with the VVS.

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not commenting on these particular gems.

My $.02 on clarity/colour combos:

SI1/G-H is the best bang for your buck in a well cut brilliant cut diamond, virtually nobody can spot inclusions with the naked eye in a SI1. G-H still shows white when being worn.

Emerald cuts or other step cuts must be at least VS1

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There must be lots of other stones on James Allan with suitable specs, surely? Why have you come down to between these 2 only?

free-user

Rough_Rock
There must be lots of other stones on James Allan with suitable specs, surely? Why have you come down to between these 2 only?

These two believe it or not are the best nah for your buck at these similar specs. I have not been bake to find anything close to their price when comparing to similar specs.

pandalicious

Rough_Rock
@free-user , did you get the SI2? Saw it was sold on JA. Please show us when you get it, it looked like a very pretty diamond!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even considering an Si2 at the same time as a VVS2 implies you don't care a great deal about clarity. If that's the case for you, then buying an Si2 simply leaves money in your wallet for some other purchase of importance. If you care a little bit more than for just the money and want some real assurance that the diamond you select will be good enough and no problem, then why not hunt up a VS2 that won't have the possible problems found with some Si2's. You'll still have some money leftover and not have a worrisome diamond, either.

You need to look at your personal feelings on the topic while remaining mindful of the good advice you have already been given. With a very well cut diamond the exact clarity grade takes on a slightly secondary role. You have found two diamonds at the relative extremes of what makes sense, but maybe there is a third diamond in the sweet spot you just have not looked hard enough for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other reason to choose the 1.5 H VVS is that it appears higher color, and the 1.6 stone looks much more tinted to me. The better color and clarity is definitely worth $1500.

free-user

Rough_Rock
One other reason to choose the 1.5 H VVS is that it appears higher color, and the 1.6 stone looks much more tinted to me. The better color and clarity is definitely worth $1500.

Yes it does after you mentioned this. Also, perhaps "investing" in a vvs2 maybe more beneficial in the future too. Not necessarily with money but ease of selling back out. What do you think?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love what David Atlas wrote. An eye clean SI2 is IDENTICAL to an otherwise identical stone ( same color/Make/Ct weight) EXACTLY identical.
Nothing against VVS stones at all- but if we're comparing eye clean diamonds, but it's a mind clean issue.

a very very small percentage of si1 stones, can be eye clean
Many people hold this impression. As a whole, looking at SI1-2 diamonds that have not been picked through, it's completely untrue. A large percentage of SI1 diamonds will be eye clean. Lesser in SI2- but still quite a few.
If we're looking in "pools" of diamonds- that is to say, SI1 diamonds that may exist in a database- the eye clean stones get sold and kept- and the non eye clean SI stones get returned. Over a period of time that give us less eye clean SI diamonds in that given pool of stones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take the WF and upgrade later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never regret buying quality. I'd say that the H VVS would be easier to sell than an SI2, and I do personally like the H VVS enough to buy it. I think the color issue is important, too. But it is a valid point that if you are considering upgrading in the future, Whiteflash has top cut quality diamonds and allows what you paid on the first stone toward the cost of a new stone assuming the stone is not damaged. I have diamond stud earrings from them and have upgraded my studs more than once.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There’s a saying that the prettiest flowers grow on the edge of the cliff. Just don’t step over. In the case of diamonds, many people count the ‘edge of the cliff’ to be if a stone has eye-visible inclusions. I’ll ignore the question of whether this is particularly bad and point out that there are some non-gemological elements that come into play here and that’s the reason this isn’t part of the grading standard, for example, the lighting and your vision. Most SI’s are eye clean to most people under most lighting environments. Not all. Most SI2’s are less expensive than otherwise similar SI1’s or VS’s so there’s money on the table here if you want to play the game. Is this your hot button or are you willing to pay extra to avoid the question? A lot of people are, and a lot aren’t. Neither is wrong. Most VVS buyers are there for more symbolic reasons than visual ones.

I am a bit curious about your choices. SI2 and VVS2 are 4 grades apart on an 11-grade scale. That’s quite a bit. Have you considered the things in between if you’re worried about it?

free-user

Rough_Rock
There’s a saying that the prettiest flowers grow on the edge of the cliff. Just don’t step over. In the case of diamonds, many people count the ‘edge of the cliff’ to be if a stone has eye-visible inclusions. I’ll ignore the question of whether this is particularly bad and point out that there are some non-gemological elements that come into play here and that’s the reason this isn’t part of the grading standard, for example, the lighting and your vision. Most SI’s are eye clean to most people under most lighting environments. Not all. Most SI2’s are less expensive than otherwise similar SI1’s or VS’s so there’s money on the table here if you want to play the game. Is this your hot button or are you willing to pay extra to avoid the question? A lot of people are, and a lot aren’t. Neither is wrong. Most VVS buyers are there for more symbolic reasons than visual ones.

I am a bit curious about your choices. SI2 and VVS2 are 4 grades apart on an 11-grade scale. That’s quite a bit. Have you considered the things in between if you’re worried about it?

I have. At the ideal specs and pricing these two offer the best prices on the market while the si2 still being "eye clean". I have looked snd cant find anything remotely close to their price. Ideal spec meaning 55-57 table...40.8, 34.5..etc. the si2 at sub 9k pricing and the vvs2 at 10.5k pricing.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This one is $13.7k with a great upgrade policy. It’s a super ideal and bigger than the ones you are looking at 1.65 ct. I’d look through HPD and Whiteflash before you pull the trigger.

not trying to push you into a higher budget range. But do compare with the super ideals before you buy.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
when i am not an expert and do not have the knowledge of finding the perfect SI2, i would trust color grading more to have a peace of mind. between the two, i would go with the vvs2. but imho, i think you could go down to vs2 and there's still a good chance that it'd still be eye clean.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
If resale isn’t a consideration then to be honest, it’s a good looking SI2 and at that size only those carrying a loupe will be able to tell the clarity apart. They are both nicely cut. I have two I1 stones (fancy cuts mind you) and while I can see where there’s light obstruction due to feathers, for most part they look pretty eye-clean. I don’t have any plans to sell them so I’m happy with the choices I made.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That 'etc.' in your specs covers a lot of ground and JA makes it specifically difficult to shop using those criteria but I don't think that's what they mean when they call something 'ideal'. Here are half a dozen stones that are remotely close to your SI2 for example.

In answer to your question, I would personally pay up to the VVS2 given those two options. That's not the same as calling it better.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To those suggesting a VVS is easier to sell than an Si2.
Maybe not.....
Say we have two hypothetical diamonds- identical except for the clarity grade- same carat weight, cut, color, etc.
They are visually identical yet one is twice the price of the other......
My point is that it's potentially easier to sell the far less expensive stone. It's by no means a "slam dunk" for the VVS

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results