shape
carat
color
clarity

VVS1 G color Vs IF H diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buyaring

Rough_Rock
Hey,

I purchased a 1.11 carat princess stone and the GIA certificate says its VVS1 (one pinpoint) and color G. I got it appraised by the local gemologist that is very trusted and she downgraded the color to G but said its IF (she could not find the pinpoint at 15X).

My question is why would GIA certify it G and not H? How large of a difference am I looking at price between VVS1/G and IF/H.

Thanks,

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 1 grade variance is acceptable in grading.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 4:18:48 PM
Author:buyaring
Hey,

I purchased a 1.11 carat princess stone and the GIA certificate says its VVS1 (one pinpoint) and color G. I got it appraised by the local gemologist that is very trusted and she downgraded the color to G but said its IF (she could not find the pinpoint at 15X).

My question is why would GIA certify it G and not H? How large of a difference am I looking at price between VVS1/G and IF/H.

Thanks,
Various reasons, one grade variance is reasonable, plus the skill and opinion of the grader.

buyaring

Rough_Rock
But how big is the difference color between a G and an H?? Both looks and price?

Thanks,

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:18:48 PM
Author:buyaring
Hey,

Thanks,
I am confused. How did she downgraded a G to a G?

DLSecret

Rough_Rock
But she also "upgraded" the diamond from a VVS1 to IF?

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 11:44:57 AM
Author: DLSecret
But she also ''upgraded'' the diamond from a VVS1 to IF?
i think the op meant to write that the appraiser upgraded the clarity but downgraded from a g to an h

is that correct?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/13/2009 11:48:54 AM
Author: MikeRato1

i think the op meant to write that the appraiser upgraded the clarity but downgraded from a g to an h

It sure sounds that way. It sounds as if the GIA cert said that the stone was a G color and a VVS1 clarity. Then the gemologist said it was a lower (H) color, but a higher (IF) clarity.

The color difference between G and H is not as great as between G and F if I remember correctly. I think that the eye takes a leap between F and G...but my memory may be failing. At any rate, being one grade off is considered acceptable as stone-cold pointed out!

AGBF
34.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m not 100% sure of this, but I believe the price difference from VVS1 to IF is greater than the price difference from H to G, because IF carries a high price premium, just as D color does. So by "upgrading" the clarity, even despite the "downgraded" color, you may have a diamond that''s "worth more" than what you thought.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results