shape
carat
color
clarity

VS2 vs. SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kvitanis

Rough_Rock
Is there a noticable difference to the naked eye between VS2 clarity and SI1? Is it worth saving the money to go with SI1 clarity? The stone will be about 1.15-1.25 G color, Ideal cut, GIA. Thanks for the help

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you have to judge each stone individually. There is no way to tell. Most will say you can't see an inclusion in a vs2. I have. There have also been si1s and si2s where I could see nothing.

JC

Shiny_Rock
I don't think that you can go wrong with a GIA graded diamond. Most GIA graded SI1 diamonds do possess an "eye-clean" appearance. If you can confirm that the SI1 option that you are considering is 100% eye-clean than why pay for the VS2. If both diamonds look eye-clean than the only difference will be that the VS2 will be more money. That's my 2cents.....Good Luck.

9.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Most times, the visual difference between VS2 and SI1 to the naked eye is nil. Most accurately graded SI1/SI2ss are great buys--in a well-cut RB, no one will notice anything. But keep your own tolerance in mind. Vtigger, a member here, just coined the phrase "mind clean" which i think is brilliant In other words, no one else, even upon close scrutiny, will likely see a thing, hence the SI1 is the way to go, but if YOU know the inclusion(s)is there, will it drive you nuts? So, pay attention to "mind clean' as well as "eye clean" which applies to everyone but you, the owner of the stone.

I have an SI2 RB because it allowed me to get the size stone I wanted and I know NO ONE can see anything but a fire storm. Also keep in mind that RBs, when well cut, tend to "drown out" inclusions better than other cuts, especially step-cut stones like emerald cuts, whose planer facets aren't too forgiving.

Good luck!
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
To me, a well cut G or H/SI1 (eye clean of course) is the best bang for your buck. I'd use the extra money to put into a nice setting or even go higher in color. Key words are well cut and eye clean.
2.gif
Good luck with your decision. Remember that each stone is individual. Where you cannot see it in person, rely on someone who you can trust to view it for you. Consider sending it to an independent appraiser if you're really unsure.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
All the comments offered so far are dead on. As long as the SI1 is eyeclean (which most are in RB), and as long as you like how it looks, SI1 offers a much better value for the money.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Will the stone be a RB? Assuming so, each stone must be judged on it's own accord.

And, ask yourself, do the feathers reach the surface, etc. Make sure there aren't any durability factors.

SI's do represent an excellent value when purchased with care.

Good luck.

kvitanis

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone for all your help. It is great to be reasurred with such a big investment
1.gif

caseyt

Rough_Rock
I am also purchasing a G / SI1 in a princess cut and the SI1 thing has bugged me too. The stone is eye clean, now I just need to get over the "mind clean" thing. Reading these posts has actually gotten me to be comfortable with the stone I bought. I debated on better clarity but the stone is beautiful and really is eye clean and I thougght, why spend more money when no one will even know the difference except the pros. Thanks for the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results