shape
carat
color
clarity

VS2 and “Clarity Based on Clouds Not Shown”

checkoutthehook

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I ran across your forum in my effort to learn more about a GIA comment that “Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown. Additional pinpoints are not shown” for a VS2 diamond. Additional info:

The diamond is a round brilliant 2.00 carat, J color, and the cut, polish, and symmetry are all very good. No fluorescence.

Table 55%, depth 63.9% (a little deeper than what’s ideal), crown 37.5%, pavilion 39.8%, slightly thick to thick faceted girdle, and no culet.

I am not sure if I need to be worried about cloudiness since the clarity is VS2. Everything I read about clarity grade clouds say that it’s not really a problem unless the clarity is SI1 or lower.

I’m obviously concerned about the diamond looking cloudy/milky/dull. But I don’t know if it’s an issue at VS2.

I ran the specs through HCA and got a score of 1.3 (Excellent within FIC range). But I don’t think that will tell me anything about cloudiness.

The diamond fits within my budget so I am hoping that it’s okay. I don’t have the diamond yet. I could cancel the order or wait until I get it to get it checked out (which would cost more money). I will have 30 days to return it for a full refund.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Brent

Reactions: AV_

checkoutthehook

Rough_Rock
Ask the admin to move this to the rocky talky section. You will get a lot more advice.

Thanks. I’m new here but I thought this post is under the Rocky Talky section. Is it not??

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, sorry @checkoutthehook. I probably need a cup of coffee right about now!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome! There are a lot of folks here who love coffee and SOMETIMES that is combined when looking for jewellery!:bigsmile:

Can you share what criteria are you looking for in a diamond?

cheers--Sharon

checkoutthehook

Rough_Rock
Hi Sharon. Sure. I’m looking for a round brilliant solitaire diamond setting. Around 2 carrot is ideal. But my budget for the diamond alone is $10k. I realize that means I have to compromise a little in some areas. But still hope to get a really nice diamond in that price range. I am totally new to all of this. So I don’t know what to expect for that amount.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You linked to a GIA cert. Buying local? Online? Any preference?

cheers--Sharon

checkoutthehook

Rough_Rock
I don’t really have a preference but the diamond that I ordered is from Blue Nile.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy this stone because of the depth and cut grade (not due to clouds). Basically you're paying for a 2ct stone that won't actually be as big as 2ct should be.

What is your budget? I think we can help find alternatives!

checkoutthehook

Rough_Rock
Okay thanks. This is very helpful. I’m looking to spend about $10,000 on the diamond. Not counting the ring setting.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't buy this stone because of the depth and cut grade (not due to clouds). Basically you're paying for a 2ct stone that won't actually be as big as 2ct should be.

What is your budget? I think we can help find alternatives!
@checkoutthehook said "But my budget for the diamond alone is $10k."

checkoutthehook

Rough_Rock
I went ahead and cancelled the order. Just too many red flags with that diamond. But, now to find a good alternative!

checkoutthehook

Rough_Rock
P.S. - any suggestions for different diamonds are very much appreciated! Thanks!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I am with you cancelling the order as the proportion is not good enough and it’s thick girdle and high crown could be hidiling weight just as Lovedogs mentioned, not as big as 2ct should be.

is reaching 2 ct a hard criteria for u?believe it will be easier to get a well performing stone if you are fine with smaller ones, while you can try to look for something like1.7or 1.8 ct if we are lucky enough.

For example these are what I found by using the “find your diamond” function on the top left corner of this page. This can be an easy way to estimate whatwe can probably get under a given budget, and you can freely adjust other criteria to fit your requirements as well.

Good luck and happy diamond hunting^^

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2ct for 10k won't be possible if you want a stone that falls into ideal cut parameters. However, you can likely get 1.7ish with some looking around. I would contact yeukitiel of ID Jewelry in NYC and tell him you are looking for a "pricescope quality" stone within budget. But make sure you contact Yeukiteil rather than some of the other staff, as he is the best at this type of thing (IMHO).

The other person known for getting great stones on a budget is USA Certed Diamonds.

Those two are how I would go about finding the best stone in your budget while also maximizing size.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear you are skipping this stone. That's a nasty note that almost ensures you will have transparency issues. IMO, you avoided a bullet. Not to mention VG cut that is overly deep due to the crown and extremely shallow pavilion (<40), and some extra weight in the girdle as well.

@checkoutthehook can you share a link to the stone so I can look at the video?

@Garry H (Cut Nut), can you further explain why the HCA is kicking back a 1.3 score with excellent on LR, fire & scintillation?

Taking on OEC attributes? But without the super chunky facets?

Cut Advisor Score 1.3

FactorGrade
Light Return:Excellent
Fire:Excellent
Scintillation:Excellent
Spread:Good
HCA Score :1.3 - Excellent - within FIC range
Looks Like size Beta
lls-big-na.png

For more info

Diamond Stats
Carat:2.00
Depth:63.9
Table:55
Crown:37.5

Pavillion:39.8
Symmetry:VeryGood
Measurements:7.83x7.92x5.03
GIA/AGS report # :

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a smidge of wiggle room.

GIA XXX 1.82 J VS1 @ $10,498

55 table, 62 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF

Proportions are in ideal territory.

And notice that although "only" 1.82 carats, the spread measures out at 7.79 x 8.83. Less carat weight, but it will look the same size as the 2 carat stone you originally inquired about.

If interested in this stone, put a hold on it and ask them to provide an ASET, idealscope (IS) and/or hearts image so you can learn more about the stone.

Cut Advisor Score 0.8

FactorGrade
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :0.8 - Excellent - within TIC range
Looks Like size Beta
lls-big.png

For more info
Should sparkle beautifully and look a good size for its carat weight. Confirm with an Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser.
Diamond Stats
Carat:1.82
Depth:62
Crown:34.5

Pavillion:40.6
Symmetry:Excellent
Measurements:7.79x7.83x4.84
GIA/AGS report # :6204818151

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
The other person known for getting great stones on a budget is USA Certed Diamonds.

I would also recommend Martin @ USA Certed Diamonds he is great at working with a budget. You can also check out the Testimonial section for positive feedback on his behalf.

sully

Rough_Rock
I 3rd the referral to use Martin Sheffield @usacerteddiamonds he got me my stone and was excellent to deal with.....

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad to hear you are skipping this stone. That's a nasty note that almost ensures you will have transparency issues. IMO, you avoided a bullet. Not to mention VG cut that is overly deep due to the crown and extremely shallow pavilion (<40), and some extra weight in the girdle as well.

@checkoutthehook can you share a link to the stone so I can look at the video?

@Garry H (Cut Nut), can you further explain why the HCA is kicking back a 1.3 score with excellent on LR, fire & scintillation?

Taking on OEC attributes? But without the super chunky facets?

Cut Advisor Score 1.3

FactorGrade
Spread:Good
HCA Score :1.3 - Excellent - within FIC range
Looks Like size Beta
lls-big-na.png

For more info

Diamond Stats
Carat:2.00
Depth:63.9
Crown:37.5

Pavillion:39.8
Symmetry:VeryGood
Measurements:7.83x7.92x5.03
GIA/AGS report # :

the spread is bringing the score down. The opposite reason why shallow stones get better scores Sledge.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results