shape
carat
color
clarity

VS Blue Fluorescence effect, why pinkish in the sun?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I’m back with a question that’s really got me intrigued. I’ve noticed that my new diamond, which has a strong blue fluorescence, changes to a pinkish hue when exposed to sunlight. Once I take it out of the direct sun, it returns to its usual appearance, resembling a normal stone under UV light.

This normal to purple transformation takes a few minutes in the bright, direct sunlight to become noticeable.

On a cloudy day, though, this doesn’t happen; the diamond’s color does become lighter as expected but it doesn’t get that strange pink glow. Can anyone explain what’s happening here?

(Edited for clarity)

Normal L indoors no UV
1000003286.jpg

After sitting in the car for a while. This photo captures the pinkish glow and is not reflecting sky.
1000003271.jpg

Is this just a normal blue that somehow reads pink?

1000003438.jpg

1000003439.jpg

1000003412.jpg

Shade blocks the effect.

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh, and is this an over blue issue?

Also, will mention it as it may have an effect, but it is a strong phosphorescent white stone too.

1000003383.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Hi! IDK about the science of this, I agree it really is interesting! Just came by to say from my uneducated view point, I think it's super cool! Your stone has such an intriguing personality, it's very pretty IMO. If you like it, then I wouldn't worry, just sit back and enjoy her different moods =)2

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi! IDK about the science of this, I agree it really is interesting! Just came by to say from my uneducated view point, I think it's super cool! Your stone has such an intriguing personality, it's very pretty IMO. If you like it, then I wouldn't worry, just sit back and enjoy her different moods =)2

Why thank you. It is a fun stone to play with to be sure! Not a great cut or clarity or anything, but she does have a variety of moods I am enjoying the heck outta.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Okay no pink today....and this is compared to a D colored lab. I just see bluish flourescence and sky reflections. I think you called it, @Karl_K .

1000003471.jpg

1000003476.jpg

Edit: The edges of the VSB on the left does have a pinkish cast.

1000003454.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of curiosity, is your new one VSB or SB? Trying to figure out if I'd ever be satisfied with "strong" instead of "v. Strong"

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you see it by eye or just pictures?
It could be the camera.

take some bright purple paper or other bright color other than blue or red, cut a slot the shank of the ring fits through, put the ring through it and put the ring on so the paper is on top of the hand
Does the pink change?

It is also possible for a diamond to show different colors under different UV wavelengths which sunlight has but not the artificial sources your using. This is less likely.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Do you see it by eye or just pictures?
It could be the camera.

take some bright purple paper or other bright color other than blue or red, cut a slot the shank of the ring fits through, put the ring through it and put the ring on so the paper is on top of the hand
Does the pink change?

It is also possible for a diamond to show different colors under different UV wavelengths which sunlight has but not the artificial sources your using. This is less likely.

I see it with my eyes just like the photos. It comes and goes, and seems to increase with time in the strong sun.​
More attemps:​
1000003527.jpg 1000003528.jpg 1000003502.jpg 1000003520.jpg
Just including the fire shot because it is fun.​
1000003500.jpg

This one may be environmental, maybe reflecting my skin?

1000003529.jpg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be a combo of the lower color (faint brownish) with a little bit of Fluorescence activated giving a pinkish tint?

Very interesting stone what ever it is!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
More on orange background...

1000003542.jpg

1000003536.jpg 1000003530.jpg

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am absolutely curious and have not an answer.
colors.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
1000003542.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so cool, to me it looks lavender in the last picture. I imagine it would be a lot of fun to play with it outside, under a tree, in the sun, back and forth to see the different optical effects.

I have to ask, how do you keep your step cuts so clean? I feel like I try to clean mine regularly and it’s looks okay in dim light but in brighter light, not so great:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Yada, I see that too, a lavendar overtone. I guess this can be chalked up to some funky UV thing. 1000003366.jpg

I use a ultrasonic with simple green (lemon scent) before pictures. Also just bought a steamer. Works great!

You called it! Playing in the light. From the sun into the shade. In the shade things change up quickly. The other thing about this stone is it' s clarity. It definitely has leaking and the outer facets are more window than mirror, but the "good ones" are super clean and reflective. Comparing the crystal quality against my lab diamond, this earth grown rock has very clear crystal, with inclusion polka dots suspended in it.

Fun how much the UV almost causes a color change.

1000003558.jpg 1000003557.jpg
1000003561.jpg

1000003366.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! This diamond is by far one of the coolest that I’ve seen on PS, it’s just so neat with the fluorescence, love seeing all the pictures.

Funny that you mention using the ultrasonic, I finally bought one last year and it already died. I didn’t put super hot water in it or do anything that would burn out any parts, so not sure what happened. It’s been back to the toothbrush for me.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Why thank you! This was a lucky one.

The transitional cut with the culet....I just ran through the HCA. It may have to go back. Will evaluate in person, but it is a steep deep with an HCA of 4 :D. Who knows, maybe it will be pretty but that score is pretty ominous.

Years ago 1989 I worked in a hardware store and a Simple Green rep came in and sold Simple Green by cleaning ladies' jewelry as they walked past. It is nontoxic and will not harm metals. I heard the spiel all day long :D.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What are the numbers from the transitional cut? The hca is for modern RBs

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
57% table, 38 crown angle, 41.8 pavilion, crown height 17%, 63.4 depth .73 5.64 x 5.73 x 3.61

GIA called is a RB, so assumed the HCA would work.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
57% table, 38 crown angle, 41.8 pavilion, crown height 17%, 63.4 depth .73 5.64 x 5.73 x 3.61

GIA called is a RB, so assumed the HCA would work.

That does sound steep deep.
Whats the lower girdle/halves%?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K it does not say on the report. I have decided to cancel it.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
That does sound steep deep.
Whats the lower girdle/halves%?

By the way Karl, thank you as always for your valuable input on this thread.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Could it be a combo of the lower color (faint brownish) with a little bit of Fluorescence activated giving a pinkish tint?

Very interesting stone what ever it is!
Thank you: maybe? I am not versed enough to figure it out...whatever it is will just be enjoyed. I'm just going to call it "Magic". :D

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool diamond!!
It looks so nice in the pics.
Steps and corners look nice!!

What you're experiencing is the inadequacy of words in describing fluorescence in diamonds.
They call it Strong Blue....but that really doesn't cover the wide range of colors you might see. And it differs from stone to stone. Violet is a good descriptor of a lot of stones- and yours seems to be one of them.
This is why a J with Medium or Strong Blue can look as white as an H in certain lighting situations.

This normal to purple transformation takes a few minutes in the bright, direct sunlight to become noticeable.

On a cloudy day, though, this doesn’t happen; the diamond’s color does become lighter as expected but it doesn’t get that strange pink glow. Can anyone explain what’s happening here?

In terms of the effect getting stronger due to prolonged exposure - that is most likely due to your eyes adjusting, not the diamond.
The cloudy day is a perfect example of the sort of lighting where your L might look like a J or even better.
Direct sunlight is the sort of lighting where a bad fluorescent diamond gets very cloudy.
A good one- like yours apparently:) might look a little pink/violet- and not dull at all. There have been otherwise attractive Fl stones where direct sunlight did bring out a bit of haziness

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
David,

Thanks for popping in, always a delight. Cool to find out this violet pinky color is within the realm of florescence. I can confirm outside on a cloudy day the warm L is gone and replaced by a light whitish stone. I appreciate your input!

Thank you so much for the information (and reassurance) on this stone. It was deeply discounted, I guess for the VSB. I loved it the first minute I found it online. obsessing for 3 days until I bought it. I really love it.

I had a real over-blue years ago. It became quite hazy, almost opaque in full sun...I just found a post I made about this ring from 2009. So many years ago and omg, this young hand :D. Who is she?...anyhow...time marches on.
overblue.png

Last edited:

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Well whatever is going on with the stone, it is amazing and so unique and I love it so so much. I hope you enjoy all of it's flavours!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David,

Thanks for popping in, always a delight. Cool to find out this violet pinky color is within the realm of florescence. I can confirm outside on a cloudy day the warm L is gone and replaced by a light whitish stone. I appreciate your input!

Thank you so much for the information (and reassurance) on this stone. It was deeply discounted, I guess for the VSB. I loved it the first minute I found it online. obsessing for 3 days until I bought it. I really love it.

I had a real over-blue years ago. It became quite hazy, almost opaque in full sun...I just found a post I made about this ring from 2009. So many years ago and omg, this young hand :D. Who is she?...anyhow...time marches on.
overblue.png

Gahhhh all I want is an overblue that will go hazy in the sunnnnn!!!! Why are they so hard to find?!?!?!?!?!
@Rockdiamond why are they so scarce?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results