shape
carat
color
clarity

Voice your opinion about this natural sapphire (below 3 ct)

alexandra2301

Rough_Rock
Hello, many many years ago this forum helped me with my engagement ring, and 6 years later I am still very happy with it (my engagement ring with photos https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-an-1-or-1-3-ct-oval.228965/#post-4140258)
I wanted an oval halo, a very classic choice, yet slightly unconventional due to an oval elongated shape, and I never regretted.

This year I am choosing a cushion sapphire below 4 ct.
My ultimate choice is this one (currently on hold by me) for $4500
1.png

Can people voice their opinion on what they think?
Thank you!
@ac117 @tyty333 helped me 6 years ago!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Back! What's your budget and preferred size? Unfortunately JA isn't known for good quality gems (diamonds are good, but their CS are pretty poor). But we are happy to help find you something!

alexandra2301

Rough_Rock
I am approved for their finances and I usually go thru them for cleanings. I want a stone around 3 ct (emerald or sapphire, but not ruby). Maybe you can look at their inventory and see anything you like? Shapes are: oval, emerald, cushion, would consider others except round (never liked rounds, I am not sure why). If you don't it's ok, I can eventually switch to another vendor too. I would like to buy the stone below 5k.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly I just can't in good conscience recommend JA for colored stones. They don't disclose treatment level accurately and their stones are overpriced and mostly low quality.

Here are options I significantly prefer from trusted CS vendors:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am approved for their finances and I usually go thru them for cleanings. I want a stone around 3 ct (emerald or sapphire, but not ruby). Maybe you can look at their inventory and see anything you like? Shapes are: oval, emerald, cushion, would consider others except round (never liked rounds, I am not sure why). If you don't it's ok, I can eventually switch to another vendor too. I would like to buy the stone below 5k.

Crap I just saw you said 3ct for under 5k. That's going to be really difficult. Are you open to smaller? Otherwise the stone likely won't be great quality.

alexandra2301

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies! Correct, under 5k price. I was looking at 2.9 carats too and smaller, but I prefer not to go below 2 carat. I prefer any shade, except the pastel. I know I love the deep royal blue shade, but I would consider others, even darker shades, just not the pastel one. Are their emeralds (in emerald cut) unimpressive as well, right? And how do u feel about their fancy colored diamonds (lab-made though, due to budget) for a cocktail ring?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your replies! Correct, under 5k price. I was looking at 2.9 carats too and smaller, but I prefer not to go below 2 carat. I prefer any shade, except the pastel. I know I love the deep royal blue shade, but I would consider others, even darker shades, just not the pastel one. Are their emeralds (in emerald cut) unimpressive as well, right? And how do u feel about their fancy colored diamonds (lab-made though, due to budget) for a cocktail ring?

I love lab diamonds! There are lots of us who have them, and if you post in the MMD section we are happy to help! I think a fancy colored lab stone would be great for a cocktail ring.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I had a similar budget and desire for a royal blue sapphire and ultimately, it's really hard to get a big, spready royal sapphire for that price. Ultimately, I went with a mystery sapphire from Komehyo and then I sent it to GIA and reset it to be under budget. I don't recommend that route, it was very risky.

I'm not sure how you're wanting this sapphire finished/set, but David from Diamonds by Lauren offered me this sapphire and said they could re-set it in the style I liked for a competitive price. (I wanted more of a cluster style halo). Honestly it's probably the best deal I saw for this size of a stone that had the right color.

r8832-01.jpg

Edit: This finished ring is also really nice; this stone is 2.78 cts and $5195.

1704557671739.png

And this one could be a good value option, it's 2ct and around 3k but has a nice face up size for the carat weight.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am approved for their finances

Please don't do this. If you are contemplating financing a sapphire purchase (which seems unthinkable to me -- I could see maybe an e-ring as a lifetime one-off), I would instead look at a well-cut lab sapphire like what Finewater is offering.

Yes, I recognize that this is none of my business but, really, no posts on this forum are :cool2:

alexandra2301

Rough_Rock
Please don't do this. If you are contemplating financing a sapphire purchase (which seems unthinkable to me -- I could see maybe an e-ring as a lifetime one-off), I would instead look at a well-cut lab sapphire like what Finewater is offering.

Yes, I recognize that this is none of my business but, really, no posts on this forum are :cool2:
Valid questions. So I'll consider and research what you suggested! I'm open minded about lab sapphires too! Finances are, as I noticed, for better or worse, treated very differently in every single family. I assure you most things we spend money on, or finance, is not something you personally would do at the same income level, and vice versa, a lot of things that have become the "norm" in USA are unthinkable to me. Such a personal subject. I'll give examples. I have never spent over $30 on my phone bill in my life (I do a cricket prepaid plan), and never ever financed a phone or another electronics piece. Always bought used, cheap and maintained it at least 5-6 years using the device till it literally stopped working. I have never had an iPhone or Mac or even an iPad, yet our household income is higher than that of American friends, and I have friends with unlimited phone plans that cost $400 a month (by the time they add their kids phones, and unlimited plans, as well as those fancy watches). We also never had kids, so the reality of paying 2k for a daycare has never hit us, or even knowing what's it's like to spend more than $300 a month on groceries (never happened to us). You mean some people literally spend 1k on groceries and eating out? Instead of making cheap and efficient meals like chicken, saute veggies and rice? Never could have imagined. Alternatively, we are car enthusiasts, and strongly believe that a good nicely maintained Porsche is aesthetically more pleasing than your average car, provides an amazing value for the price if you buy it used, and guarantees a nice joy ride and daily coffee dates. The value it provides is more to me than what we paid. To you, it may be different. You may see a car as "point a to b" vehicle. Alternatively, we didn't do a wedding, skipped it completely because of outrageous costs and as two foreigners with 0 family here, who would we even invite? College "friends" who magically stopped talking to us the minute our class schedules became different and we were no longer in the same major? Instead we financed a gorgeous ring, paid it off, never regretted, I wear it daily and it always uplifts my mood. Even then people rolled eyes on 5-6k ring when we didn't even have a wedding reception and opted for a courthouse wedding. Similarly, we are approaching our anniversary and I want to finance a fancy stone that's not a colorless diamond, since I already have that. The ones that are currently in my price range, and are mostly small earth mined stones, smaller than even my engagement stone, don't excite me and don't particularly provide the cocktail "wow" ring experience I'm looking for. And that's ok to admit. I'll again have a big down payment and pay it off in under one year. But I'll happily consider and research the lab sapphires you mentioned.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
If you're not tied to James Allen and because you mentioned you were open to labs,
Finewater gems has the most beautiful lab created colored gems (https://www.finewatergems.com/store/c33/Lab_Created.html ). I've loved the ones shared in PS in the past and hope to add one to my collection in the future. The only reason, I haven't yet is because I can't decide which one! They are all too beautiful, ha!

I also think the 2.17 sapphire option shared above is stunning.

The stone you shared looks lovely but I'm not an expert and can't offer any helpful insight on value.

All the best to find a ring you love! Looking forward to seeing where this journey leads!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ones that are currently in my price range, and are mostly small earth mined stones, smaller than even my engagement stone, don't excite me and don't particularly provide the cocktail "wow" ring experience I'm looking for. And that's ok to admit. I'll again have a big down payment and pay it off in under one year

Thank you for the longer explanation than my comment deserved. I hear you and it sounds like you have done your due diligence and have your priorities sorted!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
The ones that are currently in my price range, and are mostly small earth mined stones, smaller than even my engagement stone, don't excite me and don't particularly provide the cocktail "wow" ring experience I'm looking for. And that's ok to admit. I'll again have a big down payment and pay it off in under one year. But I'll happily consider and research the lab sapphires you mentioned.
How are you planning on having the stone set? You'll get the most bang for your buck with a pre-loved setting and stone combo. Personally, I think for the cocktail look you need a stone that's at least 8x7mm - which can be done with your budget.

This is one from Komehyo I considered for myself:

1704575027599.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results