Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Voce's Gemstone Ramblings...

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if anyone else runs into this problem. Every time I go to LoupeTroop and see the letters RED my heart skips a beat, not at the prospect of a hot sale, but at the prospect of a red stone. When I then realize it's not a red stone, I'm disappointed. :'(

voce

Ideal_Rock
Bad news and good news this month. GIA chipped my emerald pair, so I'm back to square one with my mandarin duck project.

Three new rings were completed. I got some vibrant gems from Yvonne for some further projects.

IMG_20200228_111644.jpg IMG_20200228_111434.jpg IMG_20200228_111053.jpg IMG_20200220_105021.jpg

Polabowla

Shiny_Rock
Bad news and good news this month. GIA chipped my emerald pair, so I'm back to square one with my mandarin duck project.

Three new rings were completed. I got some vibrant gems from Yvonne for some further projects.

IMG_20200228_111644.jpg IMG_20200228_111434.jpg IMG_20200228_111053.jpg IMG_20200220_105021.jpg
Oh no what happens in such a case, do they reimburse you?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh no what happens in such a case, do they reimburse you?
They reimbursed my jeweler the wholesale price. The jeweler offered a full refund, and I decided to have her do a custom project for me using the refund.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock

Ooh, very pretty! Where is the sapphire from, and the right-hand red spinel?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, very pretty! Where is the sapphire from, and the right-hand red spinel?
LOL deorwine you jump straight to asking about the blue sapphire.

The blue sapphire is an 8x6 oval I bought from Inken off LT last year. It is unheated, Burmese, around 2 cts, but had color zoning and inclusions. However, the inclusions aren't bothersome to me, and the color saturation is such that I don't notice the inclusions in my office setting. The stone, including the GIA report, was just under $1k, which I thought was fantastic value. It's in a classic Stuller setting. Here's some more pictures.
730224 725769
IMG_20191119_095913863.jpg

Which red spinel are you asking about? There's a faceted cushion and a roval cab in that post I believe you are referring to.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock

The blue sapphire is an 8x6 oval I bought from Inken off LT last year. It is unheated, Burmese, around 2 cts, but had color zoning and inclusions. However, the inclusions aren't bothersome to me, and the color saturation is such that I don't notice the inclusions in my office setting. The stone, including the GIA report, was just under $1k, which I thought was fantastic value. It's in a classic Stuller setting. Here's some more pictures.
IMG_20200111_195611.jpg IMG_20191211_110446.jpg

Which red spinel are you asking about? There's a faceted cushion and a roval cab in that post I believe you are referring to.
LOLOLOL it's like you know me or something? :D I feel the way about blue sapphires the way you do about red rubies/spinels, hee. Anyway it's very beautiful and that ring sets it off so well! Nice job getting that value and that lovely ring!

I was asking about the spinel cushion, the one to the right of the cab? Is that the one you got off Etsy? (I swear I'm not stalking your purchases, but that particular one was the One That Got Away for me and so I am interested to see the eye candy for it, then I can console myself by realizing it has a beautiful home :) )

Rfisher

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
!Ugh! about the chip, but at least GIA was forthcoming about the situation and it resolved.
I love seeing all your pretties @voce
That 8x6 blue sapphire is fantastic and your two spinel florals are my faves :love:

voce

Ideal_Rock
LOLOLOL it's like you know me or something? :D I feel the way about blue sapphires the way you do about red rubies/spinels, hee. Anyway it's very beautiful and that ring sets it off so well! Nice job getting that value and that lovely ring!

I was asking about the spinel cushion, the one to the right of the cab? Is that the one you got off Etsy? (I swear I'm not stalking your purchases, but that particular one was the One That Got Away for me and so I am interested to see the eye candy for it, then I can console myself by realizing it has a beautiful home :) )
I do remember in a previous post you said you just collect sapphires, without having a lot of different gem types like tourmalines, zircons, garnets and etc. Because if you sink all your money on beautiful sapphires, what's left for the other types of gems? Thank you for the compliments.

I don't remember if you had mentioned the cushion spinel as the One that Got Away before; I thought there was one other member who mentioned to me they were going to pull the trigger on it; this is my Jedi spinel from thegemcollector back when she was more active on Etsy. Now it's been a long time since she posted any new stones on Etsy. The setting was originally an alternate design for Bron357's ruby that she had considered selling to me but then decided to keep for herself apparently, at least for now. I found a Mozambique ruby to fit the original design (my avatar with the super secret original gallery I've never shared) Dawn (Bron's unheated Burmese ruby) inspired, and this Jedi spinel got set in the second design Dawn had inspired. Both of these designs were executed with the help of Inken (Enhoerning Jewelry), and I'm happy to share the resulting eye candy. It's the least I can do when you gals graciously let ME have the Jedi spinel.

@Rfisher thank you! I love your current avatar picture; it's perfect as a beautiful gem RGB photo!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Haha, yes, I do some collecting of other stones -- red spinel and garnet are my second and third choices -- but I usually end up either taking the money I was going to use for them and buying blue sapphires, or buy those other stones and then resell them later on LT because a blue sapphire caught my eye and I need funds for it. It's rather silly :)

The cushion spinel: Yep, that was me unless there were two of us -- I was waffling because of thegemcollector not being in the US, and then I made up my mind to buy it but you already had :) So I'm glad that you were the one to buy it and that you posted pics of it!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Less sunlight coming through the windows now. I've decided I like this combination.
IMG_20200228_143247.jpg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful new rings @voce ! I loooove the pinky ring :love:. The cabochon ring is so gorgeous too!!

MrsKMB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dang, girl! Those are some beauties! :kiss2: I don't know which one I love more! I think you need more fingers, though.

YC

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_20200111_195611.jpg IMG_20191211_110446.jpg

I have to say that this stone is a good deal, with its colour and origin! And the intense colour masks the colour zoning and inclusions

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.