shape
carat
color
clarity

Vitamin Deficiency - Your Stories?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rheumatologist said I was vitamin D deficient a few years ago. After supplementing with 4000 iu of D3 per day for a while, a follow up blood test showed I was above 50, so I have been maintaining that dose.

A DEXA scan (to measure bone density) two years ago revealed osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis) so I've been supplementing with calcium orotate daily. The supplementation, and maybe daily smoothies containing yogurt in the summer, helped increase my bone density as revealed in more recent DEXA scan results late last summer so I'm happy about that. Still trying to get out of osteopenia range, though. Maybe I'll start making smoothies without ice during the non-summer months. I prefer the ones with ice, though, because I make them have a consistency of a milkshake. Yum. Too cold when the weather gets cooler, though.

Back to vitamin D. It looks like the recommended daily allowance and optimum level has increased after discovery earlier this year of mistake in prior research which lead to lower values.

Abstract: Since 2006, type 1 diabetes in Finland has plateaued and then decreased after the authorities’ decision to fortify dietary milk products with cholecalciferol. The role of vitamin D in innate and adaptive immunity is critical. A statistical error in the estimation of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin D was recently discovered; in a correct analysis of the data used by the Institute of Medicine, it was found that 8895 IU/d was needed for 97.5% of individuals to achieve values ≥50 nmol/L. Another study confirmed that 6201 IU/d was needed to achieve 75 nmol/L and 9122 IU/d was needed to reach 100 nmol/L. The largest meta-analysis ever conducted of studies published between 1966 and 2013 showed that 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels <75 nmol/L may be too low for safety and associated with higher all-cause mortality, demolishing the previously presumed U-shape curve of mortality associated with vitamin D levels. Since all-disease mortality is reduced to 1.0 with serum vitamin D levels ≥100 nmol/L, we call public health authorities to consider designating as the RDA at least three-fourths of the levels proposed by the Endocrine Society Expert Committee as safe upper tolerable daily intake doses. This could lead to a recommendation of 1000 IU for children <1 year on enriched formula and 1500 IU for breastfed children older than 6 months, 3000 IU for children >1 year of age, and around 8000 IU for young adults and thereafter. Actions are urgently needed to protect the global population from vitamin D deficiency.

Conclusion: Unfortunately, medicine took a very long time to realize that vitamin D is not simply a vitamin that prevents rickets. For that purpose, 400-600 IU/d may be enough. However, we know today that vitamin D is a powerful nuclear receptor-activating hormone of critical importance, especially to the immune system. With the available data mentioned above, the proposed doses would probably suffice to maintain vitamin D levels around or over 75-100 nmol/L, with practically zero risk of toxicity. Undeniably, further studies are needed to clarify the optimal supplementation of vitamin D, although it is uncertain whether a universal recommended dietary allowance is feasible. Meanwhile, actions are urgently needed to protect the global population from the threats posed by vitamin D deficiency.
ETA: quoted study here https://www.jpmph.org/journal/view.php?doi=10.3961/jpmph.16.111

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have discovered another piece to the sleep-issue puzzle.
For two nights in a row I took Magnesium before bed and slept over 7 hours both nights.
That’s up from 3-4 hours a night on average.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating info @mary poppins ! My current dose of Vit D is 800 iu twice each day. After that I have been given an all round multi vitamin with all the necessary included, including iron, zinc, collection of B's & magnesium, plus an additional small dose of Vit D to take alongside this each day, once a day. It seems that they've covered all bases with this maintenance plan & despite being absolutely FULL of the most horrid cold & throat infection (so bad I couldn't work yesterday) my daily energy levels have improved over the last few days. I am 8 days into the meds. Fingers crossed I'm sorted & I'll certainly be keeping regular checks on it. The last 2 shampoo's have yielded far less hair than has been over the last few months, significantly less, which has made me really relieved. I am also using the Nioxin hair system, which I am 2.5 weeks into now, as I have seen recovery with this in the past at times of hormone disruption. And I had no idea that Vit D is vital for regulating hormones??!!

I am being optimistic & upbeat. The last 2 nights i have made a very large hot toddy in the hour before bed, and managed to sleep really well. I'm out of lemons now though. Might have to just go with the whiskey & honey tonight :lol-2:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been dealing with ongoing hair loss that started after a fall down some stairs resulted in a concussion. I've seen several dermatologists and have been told it's telogen effluviam and just to wait it out. It's been over 3 years now so in my mind it's either chronic effluvium (unknown cause) or androgenic alopecia. It's ongoing diffuse loss all over the head.

Initially I did have bloodwork done and was anemic and vit D was low. The derm and GP did not seem concerned. I did take some supplements for awhile, but kind of fell off them. I haven't seen anyone about the issues for over a year so I don't know what my bloodwork is like now.

I use Rogaine, not sure if it's helping. There is still diffuse loss, and I don't see noticeable regrowth. I know it's not indicated for effluviums, but some derms think there is a theoretical benefit.

By now I'm guessing I've lost about half of my original hair. Initially I was quite panicky, but over time I've just become used to it.

Anne

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anne_h This must be pretty stressful to deal with. I think you definitely need to get some follow up blood tests done if it's been over a year since you were checked. Also, you really should keep up with the supplements. They may very well help, but sometimes when you stop these things, your health steps back to the gear it was in before.

I don't understand how a bang on the head & concussion can cause hair loss from all over the scalp? Wouldn't it just cause trauma to the area hit in the fall, which would recover as you healed?

I am really sorry you are going through this. Keep using the Rogaine but remember, that particular product is a life long commitment for most people. My hair volume has definitely lost a lot over the years. It used to be SO thick that my curls on the top of my scalp stuck up like transmitters if they were cut too short! My hair is curly & so I do get away with volume loss, but it is heartbreaking. You're right about the passing of time - it makes you more accepting & less shocked about it. But you really shouldn't give up. Hugs to you.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Alex T - an effluvium is a sudden onset hair loss that can be caused by many things. It could be nutritional, stress, a high fever, surgery, physical trauma (like in my case), etc. One derm I saw said he had another patient develop the issue after a motor vehicle crash. And yes, the loss is diffuse (all over the head). My onset was classic... I sustained a head injury, and a few months later my hair started to fall out. But unfortunately, it hasn't stopped. Most effluviams self resolve after a few months or after the triggering factor is addressed (eg: nutritional). Most resolve in 6-12 months, if they go on longer or return in cycles they are called 'chronic'. I think I am now in this category.

My hair was never thick to begin with, and now it is quite thin. The texture is as before (fine, straight) and the hairs that don't fall out do keep growing longer. I tried a short bob but that was not flattering so now I just wear it sort of shoulder length.

Thanks for your advice. Agreed, I should get tested again. The doctors I spoke to didn't really seem to care about the issue and I wasn't ready to get onto a medical treadmill of trying to figure out what's going on. So for now I just live with it.

Anne

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in Maine, I am always very low on Vitamin D. I take supplements when I remember :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anne_h Thanks for explaining the condition. Sometimes Dr's can be a bit shitty. I know they have heaps of really upsetting, urgent illness to detect & attempt to resolve, but when us women start to lose hair & they just shrug at you like in the grand scheme it really isn't important, which I fully respect, you feel like slapping them. It can be soul destroying to lose hair. I understand you don't want to be broggled & sent on the medical merri-go-round, but you should definitely get more blood work. Please do. Sending hugs across the Ocean ((_))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than reporting the shill / spam above, lack of D turned out to be my issue, which is the cause of losing heaps of hair, extremely dry skin to the point it itches, depression, anxiety, inability to sleep, and more. I believe I was hovering around 10 but after 3 months of supplements, I was up to 50 and can maintain with OTC supplements.

ETA
I take the D3 form and it includes K2 for better absorption and prevents calcification in the blood.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had blood work done, now I’m compelled to ask what my vitamin D levels are (if they checked). I have been taking it daily since the pandemic began.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than reporting the shill / spam above, lack of D turned out to be my issue, which is the cause of losing heaps of hair, extremely dry skin to the point it itches, depression, anxiety, inability to sleep, and more. I believe I was hovering around 10 but after 3 months of supplements, I was up to 50 and can maintain with OTC supplements.

ETA
I take the D3 form and it includes K2 for better absorption and prevents calcification in the blood.

Just wanted to add you might want to consider taking both forms of K2...that is MK4 and MK7 as they have both been shown to be helpful in that regard. Glad you figured out what the issue was and are doing well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had blood work done, now I’m compelled to ask what my vitamin D levels are (if they checked). I have been taking it daily since the pandemic began.

@OreoRosies86 ask your doctor to check both forms of D. That is 25OH and 1.25 dihydroxy Calcitriol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add you might want to consider taking both forms of K2...that is MK4 and MK7 as they have both been shown to be helpful in that regard. Glad you figured out what the issue was and are doing well.

Yes, it contains 500 mcg MK-4 and 180 mcg MK-7 per 5 drops.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is good. I am taking 45mg of MK4 which is a huge amount but that is for my bone health. The amount you are taking is good for putting the D and Calcium where it needs to be.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now daily I take 5000 IU vitamin D3 and 500mg of Quercetin. I get a lot of vitamin C and zinc through my diet. Wondering where I should be making adjustments to these supplements? I’ll probably ask my doctor in a couple weeks when I see her, I’ve kind of just been winging it. I take the Quercetin because I want to support cardiovascular function and I find it helps with my allergies.

I had a subscription to the frou frou Ritual vitamins that are so Instagram pretty, but ultimately found it too steep at $30 a month. I did like that they are vegan.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono.. I might have missed it, but what brand do you take?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now daily I take 5000 IU vitamin D3 and 500mg of Quercetin. I get a lot of vitamin C and zinc through my diet. Wondering where I should be making adjustments to these supplements? I’ll probably ask my doctor in a couple weeks when I see her, I’ve kind of just been winging it. I take the Quercetin because I want to support cardiovascular function and I find it helps with my allergies.

I had a subscription to the frou frou Ritual vitamins that are so Instagram pretty, but ultimately found it too steep at $30 a month. I did like that they are vegan.

Getting tested is key to know how much you need to supplement. Though testing isn’t always accurate it’s better than not testing. I like Emerson Ecologics for vitamins. They have many different brands on their site. Lots without harmful ingredients. Good luck.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono.. I might have missed it, but what brand do you take?

I'm using Pure TheraPro Rx (but it's not prescription, despite the name).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ETA

This is great news & i am so glad you managed to get it resolved!

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of the information in this thread! So useful and eye opening. I am ordering supplements for myself and my daughters. My oldest daughter has been having bloodwork done thinking it is her hormones. Hormones are fine, yet hair is falling out and she is exhausted all the time. She eats well and works out 4-5 days a week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results