shape
carat
color
clarity

Visually Pleasing vs. Certification - Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rustboy

Rough_Rock
I have the opportunity to purchase a pear shaped stone at auction (reputable auction house). The stone is 1.90 carats and looks very large - possibly like a 3 carat. The stone is a very white color, and only has a few noticible inclusions when looking through the loop (nothing with naked eye). The stone is not certified. What is your opinion on purchasing a stone that is very pleasing to the eye, but that you do not have specific information about? The intent would be to wear it(not for investment or resale). Do you think there is something wrong with the cut of the stone for it to appear so large? Thanks!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/15/2002 9:49:07 PM

I have the opportunity to purchase a pear shaped stone at auction (reputable auction house). The stone is 1.90 carats and looks very large - possibly like a 3 carat. The stone is a very white color, and only has a few noticible inclusions when looking through the loop (nothing with naked eye). The stone is not certified. What is your opinion on purchasing a stone that is very pleasing to the eye, but that you do not have specific information about? The intent would be to wear it(not for investment or resale). Do you think there is something wrong with the cut of the stone for it to appear so large? Thanks!
----------------

Reputable Auction House?

Which auction house? Even Christie's and Sotheby's were charged with price fixing.

The problem I have with auctions is that they charge both the buyer and the seller with a commission. Yet, they CLEARLY represent the seller.

There is nothing wrong with buying at auction PROVIDING you know what you're doing.

Have you thoroughly read the terms and conditions of the auction. Unless the description is printed in dark black bold letters, they do NOT guarantee the description to be accurate. This is especially important in the art world, as they credit a particular artist for doing the work, but they don't guarantee the authenticity of the work unless its spelled out in bold print.

This has several important implications for unknowledgeable buyers, as you can make a very poor purchasing decision. You should contact a well qualified gemologist and appraiser in the area where you and the auction are, and get an opinion from an expert who is going to work with your purchasing interest at heart, not the report provided by the seller, which clearly doesn't.

But the mention that you have a 2 carat that looks like a 3 carat already could be a serious red light. The diamond has to be seen as this COULD mean it is cut very shallow so the spread of the outline face up looks larger.
It also has the tendancy to elimiate the bow tie, but KILLS the real brilliance, dispersion and scintillation of the diamond.

I will admit that one in a while, such proportions to equal a really great looking stone. As with fancy shaped stones there is so much more to their analysis than the rounds, and their proportions cannot be counted on to be representative of the real cut quality of the diamond.

So there you have it... hope this helps

Rockdoc

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Reputable Auction House?

----------------
[/quote>

The poster had me laughing at that one.

Roc Doc, you offered very sage advice. I have from time to time been paid & also paid a % for counsel on items. It is money well spent; and, by doing that, the propective buyer can go in with full knowledge of what he/she may be buying. ..putting yourself at an advantage.

BUT...make sure you find someone who is not interested in purchasing the stone themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results