shape
carat
color
clarity

visual differences between ACA .7ct and .8ct studs?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Purchasing a set of studs as a gift for my fiance. I was looking at Whiteflash's selection: they seem to have some paired studs around .7ct that are both I color ($5200 for the combo) and J color ($4500), as well as a non perfectly matched set of I color for just a bit over $6,000. $6000 was my budget. Also saw a similar pair at Brian Gavin of I color .715-ish studs, similarly priced.

Questions:

1) visual difference between a .7ct and .8ct diamond? My fiance has small earlobes, and 1 ct. is out of budget but also a bit large.
2) if I mix and match (one is 5.84mm and one is 5.99mm) the I color stones (which totals out around $6,000), will it look odd?
3) strictly speaking, is the matched set of .7ct J color diamonds for $4500 the best bang for the buck? Her engagement ring is an AGS 000 Fiery Ideal cut, I color, 2.35 ct. As far as studs go, are J and I more or less interchangeable in terms of facing up white?

Saw that BG was having a sale (up to 9% off) but the code wasn't working. They also have a .752 carat diamond that would match the .772 I at WF (almost the same face up size), and that would save me several hundred over the non-matched .803 at WF. Might be a pain buying from 2 different vendors I suppose, I would need to get them set locally (and pay more for the setting, no doubt).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side by side you'd notice a difference but on the ear probably not. You mention she has small earlobes. I do too and I have 1 ctw studs and like the size; I doubt I'd ever go bigger. If she has a pair of studs she wears a lot try to see how many mm they are. Unless of course you already know she wants 1.5 ctw for studs.

Also I would stick with getting them from the same vendor. Either WF or BG would do a nice job for you.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As far as budget goes, .8 ct is the max really.

1 ct. looked a bit large on her ears, she wasn't totally comfortable with it at her age, .6 actually looked quite good, but a bit small.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are .5 carat each so 5mm each and sound like they are a little bit small for what she wants. I think sticking under .75 each will save you money and you won't notice a size difference on the ear. Once you hit the next 1/4 carat mark the price really jumps. I have worked with WF quite a few times and they are great at finding you what you want sticking in your budget.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed you mention mixing and matching sizes - are you looking at the pairs on Whiteflash? I know the diamonds they list in pairs are scrutinized for size as well.

My ACA studs are 5.17 and 5.25 and on my ear you can't tell they are a different size. It seems like they said this size difference was about the most they recommend for earrings and the ones you mentioned have a bit more of a difference in size. They can tell you if they think they work as a pair or not.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
marcy|1459111776|4011801 said:
I noticed you mention mixing and matching sizes - are you looking at the pairs on Whiteflash? I know the diamonds they list in pairs are scrutinized for size as well.

My ACA studs are 5.17 and 5.25 and on my ear you can't tell they are a different size. It seems like they said this size difference was about the most they recommend for earrings and the ones you mentioned have a bit more of a difference in size. They can tell you if they think they work as a pair or not.

The diamond I wanted specifically, I color, and .775ct, they didn't have a match for. Closest was that .803ct

I bet they can take a picture of each side by side so I can compare!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure they would take a picture for you and give you an honest opinion if they would make a good pair. Many people think J and K are fine for earrings. The well cut diamonds face up white.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) visual difference between a .7ct and .8ct diamond? My fiance has small earlobes, and 1 ct. is out of budget but also a bit large.
2) if I mix and match (one is 5.84mm and one is 5.99mm) the I color stones (which totals out around $6,000), will it look odd?
3) strictly speaking, is the matched set of .7ct J color diamonds for $4500 the best bang for the buck? Her engagement ring is an AGS 000 Fiery Ideal cut, I color, 2.35 ct. As far as studs go, are J and I more or less interchangeable in terms of facing up white?

1) There is a small visual difference in those sizes, but as always, you choose the largest pair that fits the budget.

2) Yes, that is not close enough in diameter. If one is 5.84, then I would want the other one to be no more than 5.89.

3) Why would you go for the J pair if there is a .70 I color pair still under your budget? No, J color can have visual tint that can be seen more than I color. I once ordered an I-J pair and I absolutely could easily see the J color. Do both I color or both J color.

I would never buy from 2 different vendors. There is always a chance you might want to upgrade them later, and it is MUCH easier to do that buying from one vendor. Not to mention, it's always best to have the diamond vendor set the stones.

I would choose the .716 I SI1 pair, personally. That is a perfectly matched pair.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
marcy|1459116960|4011843 said:
I am sure they would take a picture for you and give you an honest opinion if they would make a good pair. Many people think J and K are fine for earrings. The well cut diamonds face up white.

Perhaps I should look at a slightly larger K stone therefore, better value? Still faces up close to white?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1459119380|4011855 said:

1) There is a small visual difference in those sizes, but as always, you choose the largest pair that fits the budget.

2) Yes, that is not close enough in diameter. If one is 5.84, then I would want the other one to be no more than 5.89.

3) Why would you go for the J pair if there is a .70 I color pair still under your budget? No, J color can have visual tint that can be seen more than I color. I once ordered an I-J pair and I absolutely could easily see the J color. Do both I color or both J color.

I would never buy from 2 different vendors. There is always a chance you might want to upgrade them later, and it is MUCH easier to do that buying from one vendor. Not to mention, it's always best to have the diamond vendor set the stones.

I would choose the .716 I SI1 pair, personally. That is a perfectly matched pair.

Thanks! Say I stepped up the budget a bit, grabbed that pair at just over .8 ct (5.99mm and 6.01mm, I color, for just under $7k): would they be visually different than the .7ct pair you recommended, in terms of size? Marginally, or not really unless side by side with the smaller diamond? The price difference is around $1800, just trying to determine if it is one of those "if you can't tell a difference, there is no difference; why spend the $" situations.

Q

Queenie60

Hi Dumbo: I am certainly not an expert however I will share my recent experience with diamond studs. I initially wanted 1 carat per ear however the cost to purchase either ACA stones or well cut GIA xxx stones was a lot of $$. Just did not feel like dishing out that much. So, I had IDJ search for a nice matching pair of .90 studs - I ended up with a .93 and a .91. I saved a few thousand dollars by going under 1 carat each and because they are very well cut stones, they sparkle like crazy and have the look of 2 ctw. Glad I did it this way and saved a bit of cash for something else in the near future! Just an FYI from a consumer.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1459184342|4012052 said:
Hi Dumbo: I am certainly not an expert however I will share my recent experience with diamond studs. I initially wanted 1 carat per ear however the cost to purchase either ACA stones or well cut GIA xxx stones was a lot of $$. Just did not feel like dishing out that much. So, I had IDJ search for a nice matching pair of .90 studs - I ended up with a .93 and a .91. I saved a few thousand dollars by going under 1 carat each and because they are very well cut stones, they sparkle like crazy and have the look of 2 ctw. Glad I did it this way and saved a bit of cash for something else in the near future! Just an FYI from a consumer.

Thanks! I called WF, they said the .775 and the .803 were a great match, that .13mm is not a visible difference when on the ears, and recommended it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Rockredo

Shiny_Rock

Hi, are you happy with your IDJ stones? I just had Yekutiel find me the same. I went with .90 top quality H VS2. Now I am wondering if I should have bumped it to 2ctw. I want the 2 ct look but wanted absolutely best quality so I went down a bit in size.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
HI- someone on here recently got K colour from WF ACA range and they looked pretty white. i think Matt was the poster? in SMTB.. i will try and find the link.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, are you happy with your IDJ stones? I just had Yekutiel find me the same. I went with .90 top quality H VS2. Now I am wondering if I should have bumped it to 2ctw. I want the 2 ct look but wanted absolutely best quality so I went down a bit in size.

It will be better if you post a new thread. This one is over 3 years old.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results