shape
carat
color
clarity

Visual Difference CLarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcola

Rough_Rock
Is there much visual difference between WS2 and a VS1?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
NO expert here, by any means... but my (humble!) opinion is that NO, there is very little (if any) visible difference to the naked eye between a VVS2 and a VS1.

(I guess I should clarify that to say that I am talking about round brilliants. It may be different w/ fancies.)

Lynn

reena

Ideal_Rock
i second that, even for fancies. (Edited to add: I can't speak for step cuts!)

both the vendor who sold me my stone AND the person who is doing my setting refused to believe me when i said i could see the inclusion in my VS2 cushion with my naked eye, and they almost fell out of their chairs when i proved that i could.

and keep in mind that even that was SUPER difficult for me to see--obviously, or i wouldn't have bought it--takes me about 20 seconds of staring under intense lighting and at just the right angle.

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
If you want a good idea of how stones look, go to a reputable jeweler and see some GIA certified stones that are SI1. I guarentee you won't see many (if not most) of the inclusions when viewing the diamond face up. If you really want a bargain, in most carat sizes eye clean SI1 stones can be found with a little searching. These offer the best value. A lot of stones in the SI range are heavily discounted over VS or VVS stones. I would have never been able to afford a 1.43 ideal if i didn't get an SI1. I got an eye clean diamond on my first pick. With a < 1 carat diamond it will typically be harder to see an SI1 inclusion, and usually require a loop to see. I think you'll find that when you first start looking for a diamond, most inclusions are difficult to spot even with a loop.

So in summary, clarity can save you either a lot of money, or get yourself a bigger diamond. A lot of people have gotten SI2 diamonds that are eye clean, but that can be harder to find. Even more rare, I1 diamonds that are eye clean do exist. If you are willing to put enough time into it, you can get a REAL bargain.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
When you are making your decision, remember that VVS2 stones are more expensive than VS2 or SI1 eye clean stones because VVS2 stones are more rare, NOT more beautiful. IMHO spend your $ on cut and size
appl.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope!
1.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
The only difference that I can point out between the VVS2 and VS1 options is that you'll pay more money for the VVS2. You honestly don't need a VVS2 or a VS1 clarity diamond if you are simply looking to purchase an "eye-clean" diamond. I bought a VVS2 for my wife, but that was pure EGO, nothing more nothing less. So if your like me you'll most likely pay more money for something that you don't need. Keep in mind though that you could go down to a VS2 or SI1 and still achieve the same appearance regarding what the inclusions will look like to the naked eye when looking down at the diamond. Just an FYI. Good luck....

1.gif

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Unless it's a fancy or an unusually large round brillant, you will not be able to tell the difference between those levels of clarity. Spend your money on eye-clean SI stones.

-jesrush

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everyone is different. Tastes and personalities vary, especially along cultural lines. Some cultures truly value "perfection" while the general USA customer values "looks" and "size" although a growing number are now well aware of cut quality, too. DeBeers and GIA has led us all to believe blindly that VVS is more rare than VS. This remains to be proven, but it is the accepted convention of the business. Without this convention, the price structure would make little sense. I can assure you that the market structure is not truly as perfect as the system we use. Supply is somewhat controlled and only a very small number of folks really know what clarity is the most rare...And they are not telling anyone.

The advice about VS being as good looking as VVS is valid. If you are not seeking perfection, then VS will certainly do in nearly all cases. If your idea of "fine" means no inclusions, then you are an exception to the general rule and must follow your own path in selecting a diamond that makes you happy.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
But let me throw this into the pot....I'm asking b/c I'm not sure...

what if you have a vs1 that has ONE single inclusion...say it's a black carbon dot and it's right in the center of the stone...it got the vs1 grade b/c it had only one inclusion- but does that mean you can't see it? Maybe not. I'd prefer a vs1 with lots of little inclusions on the plot- which would probably mean you can't see any of them. Catch my drift?

kcola

Rough_Rock
Old Miner. I loved your advice. I am now looking at a diamond that is 3300. I am married to an asian american and it sounds stupid but they are very hard judges when it comes to diamonds. I unlike my other sister in laws who were given there beautiful rings to them have to buy my own.
I have to find a nice quality diamond and setting so I don't always feel like a second class citizen in the family.
Have any suggestions?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have found a few things out over the years. Asian cultures typically dictate higher "quality" over larger size. In honor of your husband, I'd suggest giving his likely cultural bias the opportunity to lead you in your selection. Instead of following the pack, your family, be a leader and do it your own way. This is probably how they feel about you anyway since you are crossing over cultural boundaries and also paying for your own diamond.

You might as well do it differently and make your case. Buy a very fine, yet smaller stone. Enjoy it in the way one might enjoy the miniature bonsai tree versus enjoying the huge California redwoods. Each has beauty and interest. Each has feeling. Make it a riddle for the rest of the family to unravel and enjoy their struggle with how differently you see things of importance... It could be looked upon as an opportunity not a problem.

kcola

Rough_Rock
I have 1 diamond I am looking at tell me what you think of this first one. I like fluorescence. TY

GIA12196372_zoom (2).jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Once you know an inclusion is present, as the wearer/owner, you will "see" it (good example: reena's post) but it's a 99.99% chance no one else ever will, especially in a VS stone. Clean SI1 or 2s are rarer but out there and can net tremendous savings. I have an SI2 that if I look just the *right* way, in the *right* light, tilted, with my glasses on, I think I can see the feather--the only inclusion the stone has--off to one side. The fact that it's located under a prong is another clue where to look--I have an automatic 1 in 6 chance of spotting it if I look hard enough.
2.gif

Clarity tolerances vary just as color tolerances and shape preferences...best to view mutlitple stones and see what you think. For me, the $10,000+ jump in price to a VS stone wasn't worth it when I knew no one could see any difference... especially since I fell in love with the stone and all the other specs were awesome too. The day after I got my SI2 stone, my friend (who happens to have a 2 CT VS1 Emerald she scrutinizes every day) held it 2 inches from her eye in flourescent lighting, tilting it, turning it all around and asked me (verbatim), "It's so clear--what grade is this????" I done good.
2.gif

If money is no object (lucky you!), VS1 is the highest I'd go in clarity personally...VVS2 and up, you're paying for somehting no one can see. Perhaps a very large step cut might necessitate a VVS1-2 but I would think there are VS stones out there that would be just fine. My advice is spend on cut, color and size.
1.gif

LGail

Shiny_Rock
I am one of the few people that has an I1 stone with almost no visible inclusions. The only visible inclusion is a feather on the side of the diamond that partially covered by the prong. This allowed me to be able to get an ideal cut larger diamond with F color. It still takes me a few second to point out the feather. Once some people see their diamond's inclusions it bothers them. I think the feather helped create a personality for my dimaond (I know, call me crazy
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/8/2004 7:07:49 PM kcola wrote:

I have 1 diamond I am looking at tell me what you think of this first one. I like fluorescence. TY----------------

This stone is perfect in every way.
9.gif

I trully hope that your choice was not unpleasantly influenced by anybody else - family or not.

I am a bit puzzled about one detail of one of your posts: you say it is unusual that YOU buy your diamond. But wouldn't it be completely silly if any women would buy herself and wear a wedding band or engagement ring BEFORE she is about to get married? Not that most can't pay for these, but such jewelry is made appropriate by the respective relationship. You could not trully get it "on your own", IMO.

About that theoretical inclusion again... well, down to SI, you could probably never see that inclusion even if you do know where to look. Why talk about these grades in general when all you want is just one diamond though
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the same standard of perfection in mind...

There are two candidates you may want to take a look at: a 0.6cts D-VVS1 and 0.8ct, G SI1 From 5.5mm to 6mm diameter there is some difference, but not spectacular. Prices are close, and close to the 3.3k you mentioned. Between these two there is just a purely philosophical difference, for what I know. Your choice falls in the midle
2.gif

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Lgail ~ that's beautiful! I wish more people would consider I1 stones, there are some shocking deals to be had on eye-clean ones! -jesrush

kcola

Rough_Rock
Yes theoretically I am getting it on my own. I had a ring I got married with that was a .10 carat ten years ago. We didn't have much money then, minimum wage. We have come along ways since.I have more to spend on the diamond but I would much rather put it towards a car! One thing that is so true about us Americans we always assume things before we get all the details of a story!

kcola

Rough_Rock
In my husband culture the males parents give their daughter in law an diamond ring when they get married and believe me its usually gorgous. I refused to have a asian tradition wedding so I didn't recieve one! There is alot of favortism that gos on in his family and point blank they treat me second class samw as they do my brother in law who is black.

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I've never heard of the diamond-giving tradition before. Which ethnicity is your husband?

kcola

Rough_Rock
Vietnamese. It also depends to they sometimes let the daughter in law pick it out then buy it for her. Nice idea I might do the same one day with my son but he doesn't have to have a vietnamese wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results