shape
carat
color
clarity

Visited GOG. What is the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Butterfly123

Shiny_Rock
Hello Everyone
So I took my daughter on friday and off we went to see Jon in Long Island, where Good Old Gold is located.
I would recommend to see him and his store and staff whoever has a chance! They are great!!

Ok, here is the question. I saw diamond studs in martini setting, Hearts and Arrows, G, SI1, 2.35 ct total weight in white gold, that sell for $ 8.330.
Then I saw another pair, I think it was good cut, I color, SI1, total ct weight 2.07, oh and I think they mentioned that diamonds were enhanced, sell for $ 6.020

I left the store without buying anything for now, but I am sure I will be back with my husband this time OR without the baby because she did not want to stay still.. Anyway, I came home and now I looked at this website and compared what they have and I got more confused and was hoping someone can help me to find out what is the deal.

Here is a link to http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179726.htm
here it says, H&A stone, ct weight $ 1.117, G, SI1 sell for $ 6. 877.

Why is the stone soo much more expensive on WF? Is it because it is AGS certified? I think Jon said the stone at GOG is not certified, but I would get an apraisal from the store..
THanks for your help on this one! Am I missing something here?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan happens to have the equipment to accurately grade diamonds close to what they would get by a lab. Yes, jewelers can buy diamonds that are uncertified that cost a lot less than AGS and GIA. I would never again buy an uncertified stone from just any local jeweler (been there, done that, learned my lesson!!!). But would I buy one from Jonathan? You bet!!! That sounds like a terrific deal! If he says the stones are well cut (and especially if you can see them through a hearts and arrows viewer), then I wouldn't hesitate to buy them, IF you thought they looked beautiful! (I wouldn't consider enhanced diamonds, personally, so I'd eliminate the second pair.)

Butterfly123

Shiny_Rock
The second pair diamonds were enhanced, not the H&A. THey mentioned that there were inclusions which were eye visible and they enhanced them and now not eye visible.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
2.35cts of G/SI1/H&A in 2 stones is a terrific deal. Even if they’re H/SI2/very good it’s a pretty good deal so if this is what you’re looking for. Buy ‘em.

AGS paperwork accounts for about $150/stone so no, this isn’t going to be the major issue for the price difference. The usual reason for big disparities between GIA/AGS graded stones and their competitors is that they aren’t using the same grading scales. AGS/SI1 may be called something completely different by another lab and you end up not making a fair comparison. If you’re concerned, you can always get them regraded by an independent expert who is working for you instead of the seller. If you really want, you can even get AGS or GIA paperwork on them. Your appraiser should be able to help you with the logistics of it. Act quickly, that sort of deal is unlikely to stick around very long.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2007 2:33:56 PM
Author: denverappraiser
2.35cts of G/SI1/H&A in 2 stones is a terrific deal. Even if they’re H/SI2/very good it’s a pretty good deal so if this is what you’re looking for. Buy ‘em.

AGS paperwork accounts for about $150/stone so no, this isn’t going to be the major issue for the price difference. The usual reason for big disparities between GIA/AGS graded stones and their competitors is that they aren’t using the same grading scales. AGS/SI1 may be called something completely different by another lab and you end up not making a fair comparison. Jon is a capable grader and I wouldn’t expect this to be the root of the difference either but by all means ask him. My guess is that he got a good deal on them and is just passing it on through. If you’re concerned, you can always get them regraded by an independent expert who is working for you instead of the seller. If you really want, you can even get AGS or GIA paperwork on them. Your appraiser or Jon should be able to help you with the logistics of it. Act quickly, that sort of deal is unlikely to stick around very long.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
I was thinking the same thing! They may have 20 calls about that set on Tues. morning when they reopen!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honey, I have to be honest. If I had the money, I''d buy those out from under you.
23.gif

Butterfly123

Shiny_Rock
Well, I can''t buy them because they were sold already and the lady was going to pick them up.. Jon just showed them to me because I was interested in diamond studs. I think he would be able to find me similar studs in the similar price range if I decide to buy from them.

So is it safe to buy a diamond without AGS or GIA certification? What if want an upgrade later? Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''d have to ask Jon if there would be an upgrade policy on non-certified stones. But yes, I''d buy uncertified stones from him because he can do the analysis on the stones to check light return and cut quality as well as color. I would not do it if I thought I wanted to upgrade later and they aren''t able to be traded in.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 1:13:02 PM
Author:Butterfly123

Here is a link to http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179726.htm

Why is the stone soo much more expensive on WF? Is it because it is AGS certified? I think Jon said the stone at GOG is not certified, but I would get an apraisal from the store..
It may be a number of things. We don’t sell diamonds without grading reports or diamonds that have been treated/enhanced.

GOG has earned their strong reputation so you are safe purchasing there. When the seller is unknown our advice to any consumer considering a diamond with no laboratory paper, or one that has been treated or enhanced, is to proceed with caution and include a qualified independent appraiser in the transaction.It’s a big world out there and some sellers are not as stand-up as the people you''re dealing with.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just wanted to clarify ...

We will shortly be featuring a new stud program with one of our most dependable/reliable H&A resources. The diamonds will not feature AGS or GIA Reports and are graded at the factory and come to us preset in either 3 prong martini, 3 prong basket or 4 prong basket mountings and will be featued in 2 different quality levels (perhaps a 3rd). VS2-SI1, G-H and SI2-I1, G-H, all H&A goods. These diamonds will not feature independent web pages since we do not inspect each one loose. The focus of this program will primarily be *bling for the buck* with an emphasis on excellent H&A makes. The pair mentioned in this thread (2.35cttw) are in the 2nd quality category and each pair is Sarined before being set by the manufacturer whose measurments will be included on credt card certs made by the supplier. When they get here we do check for optical symmetry face up (H&A viewer, Ideal-Scope), clarity and estimate the color as best as can be done in the setting and these will be backed by our lifetime warranties meaning that folks can trade up for full value at any given time.

This is a brand spanking new venture for us which I have not yet made public on our website as I want to garner and publish accurately all the information which I''m currently working on.

Kind regards,

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 3:04:44 PM
Author: Rhino

We will shortly be featuring a new stud program with one of our most dependable/reliable H&A resources. The diamonds will not feature AGS or GIA Reports and are graded at the factory and come to us preset in either 3 prong martini, 3 prong basket or 4 prong basket mountings and will be featued in 2 different quality levels (perhaps a 3rd). VS2-SI1, G-H and SI2-I1, G-H, all H&A goods. These diamonds will not feature independent web pages since we do not inspect each one loose. The focus of this program will primarily be *bling for the buck* with an emphasis on excellent H&A makes. The pair mentioned in this thread (2.35cttw) are in the 2nd quality category and each pair is Sarined before being set by the manufacturer whose measurments will be included on credt card certs made by the supplier. When they get here we do check for optical symmetry face up (H&A viewer, Ideal-Scope), clarity and estimate the color as best as can be done in the setting and these will be backed by our lifetime warranties meaning that folks can trade up for full value at any given time.

This is a brand spanking new venture for us which I have not yet made public on our website as I want to garner and publish accurately all the information which I'm currently working on.

Kind regards,
Oooooh, exciting
36.gif
Butterfly, I can't wait to see which earrings you decide on.
41.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone
So I took my daughter on friday and off we went to see Jon in Long Island, where Good Old Gold is located.
I would recommend to see him and his store and staff whoever has a chance! They are great!!

Ok, here is the question. I saw diamond studs in martini setting, Hearts and Arrows, G, SI1, 2.35 ct total weight in white gold, that sell for $ 8.330.
Then I saw another pair, I think it was good cut, I color, SI1, total ct weight 2.07, oh and I think they mentioned that diamonds were enhanced, sell for $ 6.020

I left the store without buying anything for now, but I am sure I will be back with my husband this time OR without the baby because she did not want to stay still.. Anyway, I came home and now I looked at this website and compared what they have and I got more confused and was hoping someone can help me to find out what is the deal.

I wouldn't even consider drawing any conclusions about comparing enhanced stones to stones that aren't......the two are completely different. That's like saying "hey, a Ferrari costs more than a Ford Pinto? How come?" Yes, they are both cars, but that's where the similarities end.
9.gif
Same with enhanced stones.

As for the G, SI earrings you mentioned (2.35 cwt, G, SI, H&A for $8,330)......that seems awfully low. Are you sure you got the figures right? Even for diamonds with no grading reports, that seems awfully low.

That doesn't mean it's not possible, but the consumer in me would have to wonder why the stones were priced so low if they truly were of comparable quality. As Neil mentioned, the grading report doesn't drive up the price that much. Why would any supplier move top-quality goods without getting a the market price for them? If the goods were actually AGS0 worthy, wouldn't the supplier expect to get paid top dollar?

It doesn't make sense that someone would sell the equivalent of Kobe beef for a plain ole tenderloin price. Not that tenderloin isn't still good -- it is......but it's not Kobe.

Jon, I know from your remarks above that you weren't quite ready to unveil it yet, but since the poster's commented already, perhaps you can add some info on this?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 3:17:52 PM
Author: Skippy123

This is a brand spanking new venture for us which I have not yet made public on our website as I want to garner and publish accurately all the information which I''m currently working on.

Kind regards,
Oooooh, exciting
36.gif
Butterfly, I can''t wait to see which earrings you decide on.
41.gif

Okay. So I know where I''m getting my studs from. No bezels settings though, huh? Can we um... put in a request for bezels?
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2007 5:22:40 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 10/9/2007 3:17:52 PM

Kind regards,
Oooooh, exciting
36.gif
Butterfly, I can''t wait to see which earrings you decide on.
41.gif

Okay. So I know where I''m getting my studs from. No bezels settings though, huh? Can we um... put in a request for bezels?
9.gif
Sounds like to me the price will make it worth having them reset, Gypsy. I''m envious because this looks like a GREAT way to get fine quality studs without the high price!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/9/2007 5:19:29 PM
Author: aljdewey

Hello Everyone

I wouldn''t even consider drawing any conclusions about comparing enhanced stones to stones that aren''t......the two are completely different. That''s like saying ''hey, a Ferrari costs more than a Ford Pinto? How come?'' Yes, they are both cars, but that''s where the similarities end.
9.gif
Same with enhanced stones.

As for the G, SI earrings you mentioned (2.35 cwt, G, SI, H&A for $8,330)......that seems awfully low. Are you sure you got the figures right? Even for diamonds with no grading reports, that seems awfully low.

That doesn''t mean it''s not possible, but the consumer in me would have to wonder why the stones were priced so low if they truly were of comparable quality. As Neil mentioned, the grading report doesn''t drive up the price that much. Why would any supplier move top-quality goods without getting a the market price for them? If the goods were actually AGS0 worthy, wouldn''t the supplier expect to get paid top dollar?

It doesn''t make sense that someone would sell the equivalent of Kobe beef for a plain ole tenderloin price. Not that tenderloin isn''t still good -- it is......but it''s not Kobe.

Jon, I know from your remarks above that you weren''t quite ready to unveil it yet, but since the poster''s commented already, perhaps you can add some info on this?
Hi Alj,

If you have any specific questions let me know and I''ll do my best to answer. We literally got in the first batch just recently and we will be featuring sizes 1/2cttw, 3/4cttw, 9/10ths, 1cttw, 1 1/4cttw, 1 1/2cttw and 2cttw. Of course when a supplier "split grades" stones I naturally assume the lower of the 2 that they identify on the grading card and am told the pricing is based from that. Considering both the liberal and conservative approaches that appraisers take in this industry I understand their approach to the split grade. My concern ultimately is value for the money and that I am not overpaying. From what I''ve been able to determine so far this isn''t the case.

As I consider more details in how we will be marketing these I will be making a specific web page outlining exactly what people can expect. My next step actually was having the manufacturer send me a batch of these *unmounted* so I can more accurately determine how accurate the split grade is before going live with em.

Kind regards,

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 5:58:29 PM

Hi Alj,

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer. We literally got in the first batch just recently and we will be featuring sizes 1/2cttw, 3/4cttw, 9/10ths, 1cttw, 1 1/4cttw, 1 1/2cttw and 2cttw. Of course when a supplier 'split grades' stones I naturally assume the lower of the 2 that they identify on the grading card and am told the pricing is based from that. Considering both the liberal and conservative approaches that appraisers take in this industry I understand their approach to the split grade. My concern ultimately is value for the money and that I am not overpaying. From what I've been able to determine so far this isn't the case.

As I consider more details in how we will be marketing these I will be making a specific web page outlining exactly what people can expect. My next step actually was having the manufacturer send me a batch of these *unmounted* so I can more accurately determine how accurate the split grade is before going live with em.

Kind regards,
Gotcha.

Sounds pretty much like a mimic of WF's Ready-Set-Go concept (except in your case, they come to you already mounted.) Higher than maul store quality and fine make, but not necessarily AGS0-grade worthy. Ideal with a little "i".

Out of curiosity, how would upgrading such stones work considering they have no paperwork to identify them as the actual diamonds you sold?

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 6:07:37 PM

Hi Alj,

If you have any specific questions let me know and I''ll do my best to answer. We literally got in the first batch just recently and we will be featuring sizes 1/2cttw, 3/4cttw, 9/10ths, 1cttw, 1 1/4cttw, 1 1/2cttw and 2cttw. Of course when a supplier ''split grades'' stones I naturally assume the lower of the 2 that they identify on the grading card and am told the pricing is based from that. Considering both the liberal and conservative approaches that appraisers take in this industry I understand their approach to the split grade. My concern ultimately is value for the money and that I am not overpaying. From what I''ve been able to determine so far this isn''t the case.

Kind regards,
Gotcha.

Sounds pretty much like a mimic of WF''s Ready-Set-Go concept (except in your case, they come to you already mounted.) Higher than maul store quality and fine make, but not necessarily AGS0-grade worthy. Ideal with a little ''i''.

Out of curiosity, how would upgrading such stones work considering they have no paperwork to identify them as the actual diamonds you sold?
I''m in the same boat as Gypsy.... I''m dying for some bezel set studs (a la peretti)
31.gif
anything like that coming out in the near future?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 10:31:44 PM
Author: asscher_girl

Date: 10/9/2007 6:07:37 PM

Hi Alj,

If you have any specific questions let me know and I''ll do my best to answer. We literally got in the first batch just recently and we will be featuring sizes 1/2cttw, 3/4cttw, 9/10ths, 1cttw, 1 1/4cttw, 1 1/2cttw and 2cttw. Of course when a supplier ''split grades'' stones I naturally assume the lower of the 2 that they identify on the grading card and am told the pricing is based from that. Considering both the liberal and conservative approaches that appraisers take in this industry I understand their approach to the split grade. My concern ultimately is value for the money and that I am not overpaying. From what I''ve been able to determine so far this isn''t the case.

Kind regards,
Gotcha.

Sounds pretty much like a mimic of WF''s Ready-Set-Go concept (except in your case, they come to you already mounted.) Higher than maul store quality and fine make, but not necessarily AGS0-grade worthy. Ideal with a little ''i''.

I''m in the same boat as Gypsy.... I''m dying for some bezel set studs (a la peretti)
31.gif
anything like that coming out in the near future?
Me too!!! Me too!!! .60-.80 each in bezels, please.

Butterfly123

Shiny_Rock
Hello Everyone-
I wanted to thank everyone for your comments and input.
I did purchase the studs from GOG I mentioned in this thread and can't wait to wear them :))
Thanks GOG and Pricescope!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be sure and post pics and details, as you''ll be the first I believe. It will be a good reference thread.
28.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 4:16:54 PM
Author: Ellen
Be sure and post pics and details, as you''ll be the first I believe. It will be a good reference thread.
28.gif
Yay can''t wait to see them!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 4:31:41 PM

Date: 11/13/2007 4:16:54 PM
Author: Ellen
28.gif
Yay can''t wait to see them!!!
Me too!!!
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks butterfly. It's been a pleasure to serve.

Alj, my apologies for missing your question.

We physically inspect the clarity, color (as best we can within the mountings) and optical symmetry/light return/leakage via scope analysis. Since 99% of the diamond studs on the market are not H&A's they are pretty easy to identify. Also each of the diamonds are Sarin'd before being set with the DiaMension which we can also check. Each pair comes with that information on a credt card sized report listing the exact dimensions and measurements.

Warm regards,

singular

Rough_Rock
Thanks for making it easier when Christmas, Bdays, and Anniversaries roll around! You got a potential customer here.

Maybe it will be cost prohibitive but I vote for fancier documentation. For me, it would bring more prestige to the product especially if it really profiled the H&As aspect with Idealscope pics. I may also be less apt to lose something that is bigger.

Quash

Rough_Rock
My next step actually was having the manufacturer send me a batch of these *unmounted* so I can more accurately determine how accurate the split grade is before going live with em.

Jonathan,

By having the manufacturer send you stones unmounted for grading, doesn't this open up the opportunity for the manufacturer to pre-select diamonds and send you only the higher grades (or ensure that all diamonds are within the split grade)?

Isn't it better to take sample sets, unmount them yourself, test and remount? Then, you compare your assessment to the manufacturer's grade for these uncertified stones.

Quash

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 5:26:37 PM
Author: singular
Thanks for making it easier when Christmas, Bdays, and Anniversaries roll around! You got a potential customer here.

Maybe it will be cost prohibitive but I vote for fancier documentation. For me, it would bring more prestige to the product especially if it really profiled the H&As aspect with Idealscope pics. I may also be less apt to lose something that is bigger.
He has has stones with the works for reports but you will also pay more for them.
Its a trade off.
A bang for the buck line for less money vs stones with one of if not the most complete set of data in the industry for more money.
He can do both.
It makes sense to offer both too me.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 8:14:21 PM
Author: Quash

My next step actually was having the manufacturer send me a batch of these *unmounted* so I can more accurately determine how accurate the split grade is before going live with em.

Jonathan,

By having the manufacturer send you stones unmounted for grading, doesn''t this open up the opportunity for the manufacturer to pre-select diamonds and send you only the higher grades (or ensure that all diamonds are within the split grade)?

Isn''t it better to take sample sets, unmount them yourself, test and remount? Then, you compare your assessment to the manufacturer''s grade for these uncertified stones.

Quash
It would make sense to spot check them and Im pretty sure Jon will keep on top of it when he puts his stores good name on the line offering them.

singular

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 11:49:24 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 11/13/2007 5:26:37 PM

Author: singular

He has has stones with the works for reports but you will also pay more for them.

Its a trade off.

A bang for the buck line for less money vs stones with one of if not the most complete set of data in the industry for more money.

He can do both.

It makes sense to offer both too me.

I wasn''t referring to getting the stones graded by GIA or AGS. Just that GOG can produce bigger and more comprehensive documentation than just a credit card sized thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results