shape
carat
color
clarity

Visit with Nancy Stacy... appraiser review.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring was appraised by our own Neil Beaty, and it was a great experience and I can honestly say Neil is worth his weight in gold. So it was with some apprehension that I considered a local appraiser in the San Francisco Bay Area. I knew that Nancy came recommended on here and so, biting the bullet I called for an appointment and took my pieces in for appraisal.

Nancy was very warm and cheerful, but very professional as well. Her office is a magpie''s dream. And her RINGS. She has the most swoontastic three stone with the most gorgeous sapphires in a very beautiful yellow gold setting. Her office was just meticulous and so organized and her personal jewelry was so clean. I immediately felt comfortable. We chatted while she apparised my gold and talked about the PS and the pieces and being an appraiser. I know it''s kind of funny for me to go on about her jewelry, but for me... a person who appraises or sells jewelry but who doesn''t love jewelry themselves, and have beautiful peices is like a skinny chef-- very suspicious. But Nancy''s jewelry was fabulous quality and obviously well cared for. It spoke well of her to me.

Her appraisal document when I recieved it was formatted very professionally, all the information I wanted was there, along with pictures of the pieces. The appraisal estimates were fair for the pieces I had appraised. And the documentation I recieved was comprehensive without being incomprehensible.

Overall, I was very pleased with my experience with Nancy and would use her again for a local appraiser.

One thing of note is that Nancy does consign pieces (gold for example) and she will recommend good local jewelers for repairs. Which is something that some independant appraisers won''t do, but was very helpful to me because the only local jeweler I trust for repairs is some 50 miles away from me, and it just isn''t practical.

She also recommends a waterpick over an ultrasonic or a steam cleaner for jewelry cleaning... so I might look into that. Her jewelry was so clean it was just dazzling.

So, for what it is worth. Thumbs up.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy, thats a great writeup!

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
I was curious, did she do an Idealscope and ASET image in your documentation? Or did you ask her to for things such as insurance purposes? Or maybe even crown hieght?

I went to a very repsected and well known appraiser with extremely high credentials. When I mentioned idealscope and ASET he said that they were just gimmicks and not practical in determining the diamond's quality. I insisted on just seeing it because I spied them on his desk but it was very contrary to what I've heard on Pricescope. So I basically got a glimpse of reds and greens intertwined from my emerald cut diamond but I'm not sure if I was doing it correctly. And I forgot to ask about crown height and my appraiser didn't mention it either. Also said that my faint flourescence might only serve to make my diamond whiter (which I was under the impression that it only could make it better in lower grades of color). It was a very high E, almost D. (Not meant to threadjack, if so I'll open another thread) I'm just not sure what consitutes as a great appraiser.

capitang

Rough_Rock
What a coincidence! I have an appointment with her this afternoon! Good to hear a vote of confidence!

BAM54321

Rough_Rock
I used Nancy Stacy about three months ago and was pleased with the service and documentation. She- her assistant actually-even boxed my stone the right way to send off to the designer. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I appreciated it. Took the finished ring back and was pleased the second time as well. As for the ASET and Idealscope, I already had images from Excel, so the topic never came up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!

Cinna, I'm not sounding impressed by your experience. I didn't want my stones unmounted as they are all bezel set and it would have been a nightmare. None of mine were bigger than 15 pointers anyway in any of my pieces I took to Nancy. I had already seen my pieces with an IS, so I didn't need one, and a ASET wasn't something I wanted to pay for for these pieces-- nor did I find it valuable in this instance as my pieces were both designer and the appraisal took that into account-- so if they were replaced it would be with like designer goods. I only wanted insurance valuations for replacement value and pics. And that's what I got.

NEIL, when he appraised my asscher did so both set, and unset at my request and did every possible scan, test, pic you could imagine. But that was for my most valuable piece and the one I am the most concerned with if something happens. It is not a designer piece so something of "like quality" has a wide array of interpretation unless the scans and the pics and everything make a POINT of documenting the cut quality-- which was the point of all that information so that if something happens and I need to have something replaced the valuation of my diamond can be predicated on something other than basic specs (1.09 F VS1 Asscher Ex/Ex) which could result in a beautiful asscher or a dog of a stone.

If I were you, I would get another appraisal... heck consider sending your stone to Neil, or Richard, or... well, any of the POSTING appraisers on here... or Nancy. Make sure you speak to them on the phone before you go in and make sure they have the same philosophy of appraising that you expect and that they have the tools, and the willingness to use them. Also outline your expecations of what the report would contain-- if that means crown height, make sure to stipulate it. My report from Neil on my engagement ring is SEVERAL pages long. My report on the two pieces I got evaluated this week is also pretty long from Nancy. My loose stone evaluation includes a sarin... so yes, my crown height was documented.

It sounds like your appraiser was dismissive, condescending and left you feeling insecure. As with any relationship-- diamond vendor, car salesman, your realtor... or even your checkout clerk at the grocery store-- those are not good qualities. I expect respect, professionalism (which includes not being dismissive or condescending) and patience or willingness to start an mutually beneficial dialog key in any relationship. And I don't think your needs were met.

Capitan I hope you had a great experience. BAM, it is the little things that matter in a transaction, my impression was that Nancy and her assistant were very thoughtful and cared about their customers, which is very important, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results