shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Whimsies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, sometimes something someone says on this board sticks in my head. This time, it was Glitterata. Allow me to repost the comment and the piece that inspired it so you can see what I mean. (Um. I hope this isn''t presumptuous - G., if it is, say the word and I''ll ask a mod to delete the topic!) She was writing about one of her gorgeous vintage finds, and she said:

...the style of the setting is so very 1920s. It''s funny how big this setting and its sister setting (the one I have my Infinity in, the one I''m wearing with this new ring in the pictures on this thread) make the diamonds look. I love the brash, roaring 20s atmosphere of them.

I hope the original owner wore cloche hats in the day and peacock-feather headbands and mink stoles and short, fringed dresses in the evening. I hope she bobbed her hair and smoked cigarettes with a holder and danced the Charleston at speakeasies.

I wish the ring could tell me all about it.

Since the ring(s) can''t, I think it would be fun it we did. Thread rules: post an image of your vintage piece, and write out the elements and attitudes that it exemplifies for you, and that you hope will rub off on you and dust you with their virtues and their vices.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And the image ....

Post Already!.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''ll start: my new ring, an Art Deco Eastern Star ring. All I know about it is that the original owner was apparently one of the first lady vets in San Francisco, and that she belonged to an organization that still garners a little bit of suspicion even today, back in the days of gaslight.

I hope the original owner wore Bloomers for practicality, and richly embroidered Chinese silks that gleamed in the candle-glow at night for pleasure. I hope that she swept through rooms with her head held high to balance out a Gibson Girl pompadour at one end and a bustle at the other. I hope that she gave hell to anybody who told her that she couldn''t or shouldn''t pursue her dreams, that she was a dignified, glittering, rebellious woman and not, by any means, a lady.

How ''bout you?

Recalcitrant Website.jpg

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Circe: What a lovely thread.
I have not much to say,( limited imagination) , but I can tell you that the ring in your avatar has a lovely history and also has a twin.That I will always remember.
You are so talented that perhaps we post our pics of our pieces and you could give us your commentary.
Just don''t ask me to post any yet .I just got adobe photo elements 7 and have yet to install it.Then of course I have to master it so I can start using it.Then on the other hand if I return it unopened.??just thinking here..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be an excellent thread!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 11:08:17 AM
Author: scarleta
Circe: What a lovely thread.

I have not much to say,( limited imagination) , but I can tell you that the ring in your avatar has a lovely history and also has a twin.That I will always remember.

You are so talented that perhaps we post our pics of our pieces and you could give us your commentary.

Just don''t ask me to post any yet .I just got adobe photo elements 7 and have yet to install it.Then of course I have to master it so I can start using it.Then on the other hand if I return it unopened.??just thinking here..

Lorelei, Scarleta, you are such sweethearts! And, Scarleta, am I reading you right - you had your diamond set? Yay! No pressure whatsoever, but ... I can''t wait to see it!

Tell you what, you post it, I''ll tell a whole story about it (or, better yet, somebody with a better ear for language will). That would actually be a lot of fun, and maybe a better idea for the thread than the original - a kind of a round-robin where anybody who''s inspired by an image can wax lyrical. I can see that having a lot of potential ....

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
"you had your diamond set"

Yes Circe you are reading it correctly and your ring has a twin now!!! It looks great.
I have to master my digital skills before I can post a picture.
You have a great idea for a thread.With a little patience we may just make it happen.Maybe I will take my camera and practice and see what happens???? Then again its the software that is not even opened or installed.
So little time, I will do my best my friend to post.
In any case sooner or later you will see the picture.That is a promise.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 10:36:10 PM
Author: scarleta
''you had your diamond set''

Yes Circe you are reading it correctly and your ring has a twin now!!! It looks great.
I have to master my digital skills before I can post a picture.
You have a great idea for a thread.With a little patience we may just make it happen.Maybe I will take my camera and practice and see what happens???? Then again its the software that is not even opened or installed.
So little time, I will do my best my friend to post.
In any case sooner or later you will see the picture.That is a promise.

Oh, I am so happy to hear this! Congratulations! I honestly cannot wait to see it and will be waiting with bated breath - if I can give any advice on how to take/post photos, just say the word. It is really weirdly fun - I look forward to seeing your results!

Advance story: Your ring is a vintage fan with great taste and a slightly retro sense of style and ...? For more, I need handshots!

Out of town this weekend to celebrate a birthday, but will check back soon!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Circe: have a great weekend.If its your B.Day have a great one.
I will post it one day? Hand shot ? now that requires a serious manicure as my gardening season has started.That could delay it a bit.Just kidding hopefully I will post it sometimes in 09.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results