shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Wedding Band!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I found my wedding band already (or at least one of them :cheeky: )
I wasn't really even looking but I took a girlfriend of mine to my favorite local antique/estate store and when I found this band I couldn't pass it up. I don't even have a wedding date yet but I knew if I waited it would more than likely be gone. I was able to talk the price down and got a great deal! I don't know a lot about the band except that it's platinum, channel set, and on the inside it's marked 1937. There are also some other markings but they are hard for me to make out with my crappy loupe (I need a better one!). It's stamped PLAT and there's also what looks to be a diamond shaped marking inside the band as well.

Normally I don't prefer channel set, but the more I've been looking at bands I realize that I don't mind them if they are very thin. I think this band is probably about 2.5mm, but it's in the safe now and I don't feel like pulling it out to measure, so that's my best guess. I think I still want to get another band, probably in rose gold, but like I said, I couldn't pass this one up. Once I tried it on I didn't want to take it off, and experience has taught me that's a good sign!

bandfrontview.jpg

bandbackview.jpg

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Here are images of the side of the band. This is what really did it for me....I just LOVED this little detail on the side. It's so unique and I've never seen anything like it, this is what sold me on the band :love:

bandonthumb.jpg

bandsideview.jpg

bandsideinbox.jpg

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
And here's the band with my ER...I'm definitely a non-matchy girl, and I like the gap. I wasn't sure about rounds with the asscher, but the whole thing is so petite and I just love the look. I may get a similar thin channel set band in 14k rose gold, or do something with a step cut, but most likely rose gold for the other band. The vintage band is also very delicate, so I want another band that I can switch out if I feel there is too much wear happening with the 1937...

weddingsethandshot.jpg

weddingsetside2.jpg

Am I allowed to change my avatar even though I'm not married yet??? :bigsmile:
weddingsetavatar.jpg

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I knew more about this, I'm not very knowledgable in antique jewelry at all, except that I know I love it, especially art deco and things from the 20's and 30's.... I louped the stones and couldn't really see any inclusions, but I know I need a better loupe, right now the one I have is a free 10x one I got, I'd like to get the Belomo 10x. I wish I knew more about "single cut" and stuff like that so I could tell what's going on with the rounds in the band, because they definitely don't look like a modern RB cut to me.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That's so pretty Bee! I love the little details on the side. Looks great with your stunning asscher :love:
The large pic with the two rings together has me swooning :lickout:

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
woofmama|1364697542|3417114 said:
That's so pretty Bee! I love the little details on the side. Looks great with your stunning asscher :love:
The large pic with the two rings together has me swooning :lickout:

Thanks woofmama! You know what I just noticed though? In that super close up, I think the prongs in the upper left are bugging me! :errrr:

They don't look symmetrical or something...like they should be placed better in relationship to the windmill....am I crazy? I might need to take this to my jeweler and check it out. Granted I can't see it this close up IRL, but now that I know it's there, I think it might drive me crazy...

ETA...maybe the same thing happening in the bottom right too.... :angryfire: Dang it! This is really gonna bug me!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't have noticed but do see what you mean. If it will bother you ask the jeweler to fix it. I'm sure they will. Perhaps they were hypnotized looking into those gorgeous steps while setting it and didn't notice the prongs weren't exactly where they should be ;))

I think your diamond is superb Bee! I hope I can get one that large and beautiful in the not too distant future :))

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Hahahaaa! :lol: Thanks woofmama, you're too sweet! I can't wait for you to find an amazing step cut of your own...I always have to check your posts to see where you're at in your search!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find! I really love how the band is made! :appl: Those definitely appear to be single cuts and are lovely with your asscher!

I'll tell you, I would think hard before doing anything with your prongs. These magnified images aren't how you really see the ring, and trying to alter something sometimes makes it worse!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Nice band, and I love that detail too on the sides.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1364701019|3417155 said:
Great find! I really love how the band is made! :appl: Those definitely appear to be single cuts and are lovely with your asscher!

I'll tell you, I would think hard before doing anything with your prongs. These magnified images aren't how you really see the ring, and trying to alter something sometimes makes it worse!

Thanks for chiming in DS! I was just doing a search on PS for "single cut" to see if I could learn some more. And I appreciate your feedback about the prong issue...I also had the thought that I could be opening a big ol' can of worms by trying to fix something that I probably can't discern IRL, and then ending up with an even worse problem. Now I just have to stop myself from staring at the prongs and convincing myself I can see something :cheeky:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Bee I really like it!!! That side detail is neat too.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a find! Its really pretty and unusual too. The side detail is so neat.

D

Deactivated member 42515

The side detail just completes it! It sure does! And I think it looks awesome with the asscher!

I don't think I would change the prongs. I understand what you mean, and I'm sure I would be freaking out too. But, you never noticed it before. This is why I do not like to loupe my jewelry. Because you're always going to find something that's not exactly perfect. I say if it doesn't jeopardize the safety of the diamond, just leave it as is :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1364729436|3417271 said:
The side detail just completes it! It sure does! And I think it looks awesome with the asscher!

I don't think I would change the prongs. I understand what you mean, and I'm sure I would be freaking out too. But, you never noticed it before. This is why I do not like to loupe my jewelry. Because you're always going to find something that's not exactly perfect. I say if it doesn't jeopardize the safety of the diamond, just leave it as is :)

I agree completely. Beautiful band! I love single cuts and antique cuts-I love them all! It looks awesome with your ER. A perfect non matchy match for sure!!!

And, I would leave those prongs alone-if you cannot see it with your naked eye (not through the magnification of the camera lens) just leave it be. It looks gorgeous as is and after being on PS for a while and seeing things go awry with fixes like these I would think twice. Unless you can see it with your naked eyes and then just be very careful!

Love the whole combo! Gorgeous! :love: Wear in health and happiness!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful find! It looks great with your ER and I love the detailing on the sides. :appl:

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone!

And regarding the prongs, I literally had a dream about it last night, or probably more accurately a nightmare! I dreamt I took the ring in to have it looked at and the next thing I know they are offering me a replacement stone, same stats but HORRIBLE light performance! So I go back to decline and ask for the ring back only to discover that they've begun taking it apart and have done something to my original stone in the way of recutting it or something like that.... Needless to say I think I'm going to try and forget about this whole prong thing. Only a PSer would have a nightmare about rings and light performance and diamond recutting right? :lol:

D

Deactivated member 42515

BriBee said:
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone!

And regarding the prongs, I literally had a dream about it last night, or probably more accurately a nightmare! I dreamt I took the ring in to have it looked at and the next thing I know they are offering me a replacement stone, same stats but HORRIBLE light performance! So I go back to decline and ask for the ring back only to discover that they've begun taking it apart and have done something to my original stone in the way of recutting it or something like that.... Needless to say I think I'm going to try and forget about this whole prong thing. Only a PSer would have a nightmare about rings and light performance and diamond recutting right? :lol:
It's ok! I have nightmares all the time that my diamond fell out and when I find it, someone had cut it into a square shape and I have to try to make it fit into me setting :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
How cool!! Neat band :appl: I love that side detail too!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Great find! I love your new band with your beautiful e-ring :love: I never used to like channel set bands either but I ended up getting one as my wedding band as well. I think as long as they aren't too bulky, they look great.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really pretty band!! Looks so nice with your ering, good find! :appl:

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
That is such a darling band! I love the side detail also and I think it looks fabulous with your asscher!! :love:

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
Simply perfect together. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results