shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Watch - Patina Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering buying a vintage watch (well, actually hubby is considering buying it for me for my birthday!) and although it appears to be in excellent condition, the watch face/dial has a very slight patina. The watch is pre 1940 so this is to be expected but I''m wondering if (a) it can be cleaned and (b) are there any risks involved?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the patina is part of the charm of a vintage cocktail watch. Are you looking for one on Ebay? The one I got recently ended up being MUCH nicer in person than in the pictures we saw. The crystal needed to be replaced, which the seller did before sending it out to us, and the photography was bad. So like any purchase on Ebay, check the return policy and if you don''t care for the color when you get it, return it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know anything about them, but I just wanted to say I love vintage watches and would love to see it if you decide to go for it!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HH - Yes, this is on Ebay. The seller has 100% feedback and I''ve been like a stalker with the auction! It finishes tonight so I''m keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed that I win! I agree about the patina/charm by the way but it was just curiosity in case the patina was more pronounced that the photos.

Lorelei - photos will be posted if I win tonight!!! Ooooooooo I''ve got butterflies now!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 8:03:23 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
HH - Yes, this is on Ebay. The seller has 100% feedback and I''ve been like a stalker with the auction! It finishes tonight so I''m keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed that I win! I agree about the patina/charm by the way but it was just curiosity in case the patina was more pronounced that the photos.

Lorelei - photos will be posted if I win tonight!!! Ooooooooo I''ve got butterflies now!
Keeping my fingies tightly crossed that you get it!!!
35.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 8:07:31 AM
Author: Lorelei

35.gif
That''s so sweet of you - thank you Lorelei. I need to also confess that my childhood crush was Captain Scarlett! I had no idea he was a puppet and that unrequited love would not be returned! Oh well! Actually, looking at my yummy hubby, worringly, I can see a resemblance to Capt. Scarlett!
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 8:27:52 AM

35.gif
That''s so sweet of you - thank you Lorelei. I need to also confess that my childhood crush was Captain Scarlett! I had no idea he was a puppet and that unrequited love would not be returned! Oh well! Actually, looking at my yummy hubby, worringly, I can see a resemblance to Capt. Scarlett!
31.gif
Oh Capt Scarlett was a hunk, definitely crushable!! Hehe!!!
11.gif
Too funny your Hubby resembles him a bit!!

I will be sending you all the Andy Pandy power I can muster so that you can get your new watch!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 8:33:03 AM

35.gif
31.gif
11.gif

I will be sending you all the Andy Pandy power I can muster so that you can get your new watch!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Well with Andy Pandy power, there''s no way I can loose! Thank you!
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 8:52:12 AM

Date: 3/1/2009 8:33:03 AM

35.gif
31.gif
11.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Well with Andy Pandy power, there''s no way I can loose! Thank you!
2.gif
Hehehe!!! Most welcome!!!
9.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
If you don''t win that watch, do check out holbensfinewatches on ebay. This week he has a lot of men''s watches, but that''s usually not the case. He and another guy restore old watches and they are absolutely beautiful when he is done. I''ve also had email correspondence with him and he is really awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results