shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Style Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
I think I have found my diamond (yay!) and now I just need the setting. I am looking for a vintage style cathedral (engagement ring only) setting that has scroll (swirly) style engraving and milligrain edges. No additional stones, just a solitaire with the engraving.I tried to find a local hand engraver since I found a setting that I liked (see link) that is plain, but there are none local. I will be checking local antique shops as well but thought I''d see if anyone here had any info about where to find something like this. Any help appreciated! Thanks a bunch! :)

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/engagement-solitaire-ring.html

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who are you getting your stone from? Have you asked them if they can do engraving on a ring (if they
have one you like)?

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
We bought from James Allen. They just do the very basic simple engraving. I may still buy the setting I like and send it off for engraving if it''s not too pricey, with the $ we saved on the stone it may be in our budget! :)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Greenlake jewelers does the best engraving IMO, comparable to genuine antique pieces. I had them engrave a setting that they did not make. To engrave pretty much the whole thing- three sides of the shank, the profile which was solid metal- was $500. This was for a custom design that they created from scratch. It was pricey for sure, but totally worth it, the work was amazing. There are other jewelers that do really, really good engraving too. But GLJ is definitely top notch. It may be less expensive if you have them create a ring from scratch for you- they're somewhat expensive but certainly not like designer-jewelry expensive... more like pretty much what you'd expect for top of the line workmanship. They do both CAD and hand fabricated if I remember right.

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I will check them out!

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
I created a design page with them but then was quoted $2500-3000! Just for the engagement setting!!!!
23.gif

I told the artist my budget ($500-700) and she said they may be able to fit something into that range if the ring isn''t custom molded. We shall see what happens.

Does anyone know where else to get a vintage style engraved setting in my price range?

Thanks....
1.gif

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
I was not able to buy a setting with Whiteflash but Liza was such a nice and great person to deal with. I would call and ask for her to look for a quote. If you get a simple setting from them, ask if they can do an engraving for how much of a charge.

When I talked to them about getting engravement done on one of their stock settings, they said it was possible as long as I send them pictures of what I had in mind and for a small charge.

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Cinna!

I will check them out!
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think hand engraving will be out of your budget, but there are stock setting with engraving. WF may be able to source it for you if they cannot fit hanf engraving into your budget.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
just to clarify is your budget $500-$700 for just the engraving, or is it the total amount for the setting with engraving?

If it's the former, you could look into something from Bev K, like this:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/78PP1/

or this

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/80PP1/
30.gif

(of course those have diamonds and engraving, wasn't sure if your metal shank was a budgetary or an aethetic decision
2.gif
)

If you are sticking with plain, I actually love the one DD posted, esp. the head...I wouldn't change that out.
1.gif

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, those are some great options!

Talked with a rep from Whiteflash and he suggested breaking into 2 phases - get the setting I want then when I have more $, get the engraving done. I may do that unless I see a style I like already made. I am looking for a swirly, frilly edwardian look but everything out there right now is really patterned and art deco looking.

The hunt continues!
2.gif

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
This is the style of engraving I am looking to get

engraved ring.jpg

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
with this style setting

MTG_A_10045.jpg

33nayurd

Rough_Rock
or this but with 4 prongs

55139.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would talk to greenlakes about doing it in stages then. Perhaps you can get the setting now with *some* engraving, and then add it later? Fine quality hand engraving costs money and I hate to see you scrimp on something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results