shape
carat
color
clarity

vintage star sapphire question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acw13

Rough_Rock
My mother had given me her grandmother''s star sapphire ring from the 1920''s-1940''s. I was wondering the specs of the stone, if it''s genuwine, the clarity, and maybe how much it could be worth? Can anyone help me out? I attached a photo of the ring.

elsiestar1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take it to a reputable gemologist to make sure it's not synthetic. They were making synthetic star sapphires back then. The perfection of the rays, and the fact that they're so sharp, as well as the even color, leads me to believe it might be synthetic.

acw13

Rough_Rock
this is the bottom of the stone, i have read that synthetics would have a L stamped on them?

elsiestar2.jpg

acw13

Rough_Rock
Here is another view of the ring as well

elsiestar3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 11:54:39 PM
Author: acw13
this is the bottom of the stone, i have read that synthetics would have a L stamped on them?
I have not heard that, but regardless, it could be removed.

acw13

Rough_Rock
The ring has been in my family since my Great-great grandmother... I do not think it was removed, does anyone know a reputable jeweler in pittsburgh who does appraisals?

acw13

Rough_Rock
If i take the ring to be appraised can they tell me the specs of the stone and such?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 12:17:37 AM
If i take the ring to be appraised can they tell me the specs of the stone and such?
Yes. Since it''s mounted, they might only be able to estimate the carat weight however.

Adah

Shiny_Rock
I would take it to a Gemmologist for the specs.

I agree with Tourmaline_love - I suspect you may have a synthetic but best to check.

acw13

Rough_Rock
I did some research and found that synthetic star sapphires were first created in 1947, my great-great grandmother had already had this ring before that time.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don''t believe that ring is as old as you think. It looks like a synthetic sapphire from the 1950s-60s. Synthetics were very popular then, and the style of the setting fits that time period. Natural star sapphires would not be such a bright blue or have such a sharp and even star.

If you want to know for sure, you can always take it to an appraiser.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 12:40:15 AM
I did some research and found that synthetic star sapphires were first created in 1947, my great-great grandmother had already had this ring before that time.

All the more reason to take it to a gemologist for confirmation, and for an appraisal -- so you can get that beauty insured!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The awesome bright blue, very strong star and straight legs hint strongly at being a synthetic star sapphire. It just looks too perfect. However, the setting and sentiment behind it is sweet so whatever the outcome, it will always be a treasured piece. Enjoy it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 12:40:15 AM
Maybe the center stone was replaced with the sapphire at a later time. Glitterata, who commented on your ring, collects antique jewelry from various periods, and she is pretty well versed in what periods existing pieces are from In any case, let us know what the appraiser says. No matter what the outcome, it will always be a priceless piece to you from your Great-Great Grandmother.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 1:27:43 AM
Author: glitterata
I don''t believe that ring is as old as you think. It looks like a synthetic sapphire from the 1950s-60s. Synthetics were very popular then, and the style of the setting fits that time period. Natural star sapphires would not be such a bright blue or have such a sharp and even star.

Ditto.

The ''L'' that is seen on some synthetics stands for Linde - they were produced by a division Union Carbide from 1947 onwards and marketed as ''Linde Stars''.

Using a loupe, you should be able to see the growth lines - they are straight in natural stones and curved in synthetics. The natural stones will also show typical sapphire inclusions, but you''d probably need a microscope for that.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
FYI, Linde stars marked with an "L" haven''t been on the market for years. The "L" would be an indication of age as well as synthetic origin. But synthetic star corundums in many colors without any markings took over Linde''s market when their patent ran out many years ago and are abundant. They are now made mostly in Asia.

Richard M.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 1:27:43 AM
Author: glitterata

+1; FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results