shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please help me find a vintage setting!

Apologies as this is a bit of a repeat of an earlier post but I need HELP!

I''ve recently purchased this yummy OMC - something about it just kept calling my name!!! It''s only tiny 0.52ct and therefore I need an illusion setting to make it look bigger. I also would like fishtail prongs (partly to hide the damage to one corner you can see in the photo). Where can I get such a setting OR am I looking at having a bespoke piece made?

So, ideally I''d like (1) illusion setting (2) fishtail prongs.
Many thanks for your help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should bring the stone to a jeweler to evaluate first. That corner has a pretty big chip and you might have a hard time finding jewelers who are comfortable setting it and/or a setting that will cover it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey LD - cute stone!

Have you looked around ebay...?
here's one for $145 with a sapph already set in it.
I will scout around some more for you - they are reasonaly common on ebay - however I'm not sure if
you'll be in luck due to the shape...
5.gif

oh, pls what is the mm measurement of the stone..? I'm thinking you may have to go custom due to the shape of the diamond..
also I agree with NF though - what do you plan to do about the chip..?
LD, have you thought about asking one of the etsy sellers that work in gold..? I think you could have Sally, or Creative goldsmith perhaps,
create an imitation for perhaps $200 or so..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I quite like this one, however its YG. have you mentioned what metal you''re after..?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neat - Thanks for the heads up. I'm lucky that I know a number of jewellers who'll help out on this so I'm not worried about getting it set. I'm just trying to find the setting to cut back on having to go the bespoke route!

AJ - How on earth did you find that?????? I'm seriously impressed. I've been scouring Ebay with absolutely no luck. I'm wondering if this head would work and then asking my jeweller to add an illusion bit to it? If you find anything else will you let me know please? Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

ETA - AJ we were posting at the same time!!! My stone measures a tiny 4.73 x 4.36 x 3.24mm. Not bothered about what type/colour of gold. Would prefer white or platinum but I also wear yellow. So long as the illusion is in a white metal I'm not fussy. Great idea about Etsy. The problem is that I'd have to send my stone from the UK which might be problematic (although not impossible).

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 9:30:04 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Neat - Thanks for the heads up. I''m lucky that I know a number of jewellers who''ll help out on this so I''m not worried about getting it set. I''m just trying to find the setting to cut back on having to go the bespoke route!

AJ - How on earth did you find that?????? I''m seriously impressed. I''ve been scouring Ebay with absolutely no luck. I''m wondering if this head would work and then asking my jeweller to add an illusion bit to it? If you find anything else will you let me know please? Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

ETA - AJ we were posting at the same time!!! My stone measures a tiny 4.73 x 4.36 x 3.24mm. Not bothered about what type/colour of gold. Would prefer white or platinum but I also wear yellow. So long as the illusion is in a white metal I''m not fussy. Great idea about Etsy. The problem is that I''d have to send my stone from the UK which might be problematic (although not impossible).
Hiya LD,
you''re very welcome! I am still having a bit of a look around - but now I have found a bunch of things I want, lol!
Can I blame you this time?
2.gif

I don''t want to say for sure as I''m not up to speed on these illusion heads - but perhaps you could just have the ring made to exact measurements, then
sent to you to be set? I think that''s usually possible with prong settings.

Will post more as I find them, and thankyou for your help about THI
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey LD, I think this one is really cute, plus this seller usually has a bunch of 'em if you have a look in their inventory.

ETA: ah, I just remembered you're in UK and these guys only ship to US..sorry..perhaps you can have it sent to a friend or something..?

hth a bit!
I have a couple of q's for you over in the etsy thread when you have time
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 9:43:43 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 3/22/2009 9:30:04 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Neat - Thanks for the heads up. I'm lucky that I know a number of jewellers who'll help out on this so I'm not worried about getting it set. I'm just trying to find the setting to cut back on having to go the bespoke route!

AJ - How on earth did you find that?????? I'm seriously impressed. I've been scouring Ebay with absolutely no luck. I'm wondering if this head would work and then asking my jeweller to add an illusion bit to it? If you find anything else will you let me know please? Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

ETA - AJ we were posting at the same time!!! My stone measures a tiny 4.73 x 4.36 x 3.24mm. Not bothered about what type/colour of gold. Would prefer white or platinum but I also wear yellow. So long as the illusion is in a white metal I'm not fussy. Great idea about Etsy. The problem is that I'd have to send my stone from the UK which might be problematic (although not impossible).
Hiya LD,
you're very welcome! I am still having a bit of a look around - but now I have found a bunch of things I want, lol!
Can I blame you this time?
2.gif

I don't want to say for sure as I'm not up to speed on these illusion heads - but perhaps you could just have the ring made to exact measurements, then
sent to you to be set? I think that's usually possible with prong settings.

Will post more as I find them, and thankyou for your help about THI
35.gif
Of course you can!!! Happy to be your guilty conscience!
9.gif

I've been playing with Powerpoint (please excuse the rubbish drawing) but this is the sort of thing I'm imagining. The illusion setting will probably need to be wavy so it doesn't look too blocky.

ETA - we keep posting at the same time! That Ebay seller only ships to the US
15.gif
Never mind! Will pop over and look at the Etsy thread now.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ah yes, I know that setting, I've admired it in the past - I will keep this in mind when looking. You are currently helping
distract me from imminent uni work, lol!

I know this one is too blocky for you, but is very cute I think ! link
This seller seems to have a bunch though, you should check them out
5.gif

and this one looks like your pic above, but likely a bit small for your diamond
7.gif

Ok, thats me done for the night, lol!

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Hi Loving Diamonds!

I don''t have a setting suggestion for you, but I wanted to say I loved the shape of this one and was very close to trying to purchase it myself. I am so happy it went to a great PS home! Can''t wait to see how you set it!
35.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Lucy what a sweet thing to say. Thank you so much. I was absolutely determined to get my hands on this beauty. It just kept calling me! I promise to post up photos when it arrives and when it''s set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results