carat
color
clarity

Vintage Ring Restorer in the UK??

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

My mother's engagement ring needs some repairs. The shank is very thin & sharp, plus she had it re-clawed about 20 years ago & the high street jeweller my dad took it too, butchered it. She has an OMC & it was set in the traditional fishtail, but the jeweller who fixed it for dad just removed the head & fitted a new square shaped head, plonking the round diamond in the centre. She was devastated & very angry with dad, not wearing her ring again. Sadly we lost my dad 10 years ago & she has been desperately looking for someone who will restore the original setting with the fishtail claws, to no avail. I have Googled several times but cannot locate someone in the Cheshire area of the UK who can help. Are there any PSers who can help???

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Alex,

I'm not in the UK so I can't help with a jeweler. Have you considered buying a pre-owned fishtail setting to fit the stone? It may take some searching, but nice ones can be found sometimes. It may be less risky (and less pricey) than having a jeweler custom-make one for you.

Good luck with this project, I hope you find the perfect setting and your mom enjoys wearing the ring again!

Kab03

Rough_Rock
Hi there- I would contact Berganza - http://www.berganza.com/ - they are located in Hatton Gardens in London. I got my engagement ring from there and believe they do repairs. If they don't, I am confident they will know someone reputable who does. Good luck!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge thanks ladies. I have contacted a couple of these & they are willing to take a look. I have also come across Phillip Stoner in Leeds, who is also happy to restore for her & has a good reputation with antique work, so we shall be taking a few mum & daughter trips :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results