shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Platinum/Diamond Rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dtherren

Rough_Rock
Hi Everybody! I''m new to the forum! Hello From KY!

I recently inherited my grandmothers rings and I know very little about them. They are beautiful rings. I have worn them on occasion and everybody loves them!

I are more than likely Antique, maybe 1930 or 1940 but that is all I know. I was told they are "mine cut"?

I need to insure them but I know very little to establish any kind of value for insurance purposes.

Anybody tell me anything about them as to know whether I should have them appraised or not? I am going to try and post a picture, but not real familiar with posting.

Thanks

DSC06005.JPG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome. You will need some kind of appraisal for insurance purposes-they usually require that in order to offer you insurance. So yes, you probably will need an appraisal. Try to find someone who does NOT work for a jewelry store. They will be less biased and more likely to give you an accurate appraisal.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Got any closer pictures? From the picture I'd guess the one on the left is the 1940s piece based on the yellow gold and the fairly simple styling, probably reset at some point if it is actually an Old Mine Cut- those are usually c. late 1800s (ish).

The other one, without being able to see the style up close, could be Edwardian (1900-1910s) or Art Deco (1920s-1930s)- roughly of course. Edwardian work is usually delicate and feminine in styling, with curvilinear lines and sometimes "sweet" sort of details like bows, flowers etc, with a lot of piercing and other intricate details. Deco can also be quite ornate, with piercing and engraving, but usually displays more angular lines, more structural/architectural looking in general. I'd hesitate to say Deco rings are more masculine, but they don't have the super-sweet-feminine look of Edwardian pieces. From what I can see of the styling it looks a bit more Edwardian to me, and if it has an Old European Cut in it, it's probably original to the setting. Of course the styles overlap and mix too, dating antiques is obviously not an exact science
2.gif
Both are quite pretty, especially the one on the right
3.gif

I'd get them professionally appraised by an independant (non-jewelry-selling) appraiser and insure them. If you don't care to insure you probably wouldn't need an appraisal except for curiosities sake. Definitely try to find someone with experience in antique jewelry. Not all appraisers know antiques well.

ETA: wait, is the one on the right yellow gold? Maybe not... anyway, if it isn't yellow gold I'd still guess '40s, but it could be 1930s too- yellow gold was pretty much out of style until the '40s.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, beautiful rings, Dtherren.

LGK - I do have to say you are amazing with your knowledge of old stones, settings, jewelry. Really.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful rings. I''m afraid I can''t help with info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results