shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Chrysoberyl ring

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, so I have been on the hunt for a chrysoberyl. I found this on Ruby Lane. It's 14k yellow gold from the 1960's and the stone is 11x8mm.
Chrysoberyl seems to come in a variety of colours and for me personally I like the stronger colours. These are the vendor pics. I had to take a photo of the pics on my phone as RL wouldn't let me share pics so the stone does not look as bright on these attachments.

20200313_213241.jpg 20200313_213312.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the photos I would not have thought that stone was a chrysoberyl ... most chrysoberyls I come across lean to greenish-yellow rather than orangey/brownish yellow

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@marymm Hi, my understanding is chrysoberyl comes in a variety of colours (green, yellowish green, yellow to brown). This stone has been tested. Stones can be very pale through to deeper colours. This is a deeper colour for sure and seems to be slightly pleochroic under different lighting conditions. Some of the photos seem to show a slight greenish colour.
It will be very interesting to get the ring and see how the stone performs in different lighting conditions in person!
It would be interesting if any other PSers have chrysoberyl to share some pics to see the variations.

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
I have an Edwardian cat's eye chrysoberyl, the appraisal says it's "golden brown" in color and it's definitely more of a greenish; the gentleman I bought it from laughingly told me one woman who tried it on described it as looking like "pond scum," which, while hilarious, isn't entirely inaccurate. I'll post a picture tomorrow when I've got some light - remind me if I forget!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@paperunicorn Fabulous, I will be interested to see pictures. I am officially hooked on coloured stones. They are fascinating!

I have done some more reading and chrysoberyl can 'shift' in colour.
It's interesting as obviously alexandrite as part of the chrysoberyl family is a colour changer. Colour shifting can be, looking at a colour wheel can be a movement of one or two places as opposed to a colour change (movement to opposite side of the wheel).

download.jpeg-1.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a pretty ring. I have collected quite a few Chrysoberyls over the years and have had yellow to pinkish brown color shift ones. From the photo- I agree with marymm that it doesn't appear to my eyes to be a Chrysoberyl. Looks more topaz like to me.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I dont think ive ever seen a chrysoberyl to be that color before. It looks just like a citrine to me. Do you know how it was "tested"? Lab report?

Its a pretty ring though and if you enjoy it I say go for it. Just make sure you know what youre buying as sadly there are quite a few sellers out there who unknowingly and knowingly (unfortunately) misrepresent gemstones. I dont know how much the ring is but there would be quite a large discrepancy depending on whether its a citrine/topaz vs. a natural chrysoberyl. Good luck!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found this...looks like chrysoberyl can indeed be more of a golden, yellow color.

4B997BB2-D9AB-4FC3-869B-CD799BDB3316.jpeg

Edited to add...Love this ring @Niffler75! It's beautiful!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, I am buying from a well established shop on Ruby Lane. The vendor wanted to be sure so had it verified by a gemologist.
it's really hard buying online isn't it, being as careful as possible.Yes I agree as it is so gold yellow it does look like a topaz too.

I also think many people are used to Chrysoberyl being a lighter/ greener colour. It can be very saturated also.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, I am buying from a well established shop on Ruby Lane. The vendor wanted to be sure so had it verified by a gemologist.
it's really hard buying online isn't it, being as careful as possible.Yes I agree as it is so gold yellow it does look like a topaz too.

I agree it certainly could be chrysoberyl; color alone does not rule it out. I have one that's a lot browner/more orange. I like the quirky mounting, too!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Still waiting on this ring arriving. It seems to have disappeared into the twilight zone just now! ::)
I think delivery companies are just trying their best at the moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results