shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Cartier Ring on Ebay, good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=190055684487&rd=1

Some stats.

1 Round Diamond 6.79 x 4.15mm 1.18ct G-Vs1 "Ideal Cut"

25 Round Diamonds 1.8mm .48cttw G-Vs1

Platinum mounting 9.5 grams

Signed Cartier 10%IRIDPLAT

Ref# N8833x

Size 6

Ring top is 1/2" accross (12mm)

Not sure how much it will be bid up, but the starting price is low. I''m not crazy about the seller''s story, makes me wonder if they''re the disputing type, but the feedback is otherwise ok.

As far as the ring goes I tried on a similar one by Vera Wang and it was really stunning, the low set diamond with the halo, of course this is very different from the plain Tiffany solitaire that I''ve been leaning towards.

Anyways, any thoughts/comments are appreciated. I don''t think the ring looks very sparkley in the pictures and that makes me a little nervous - also where to get something like this appraised in Washington, D.C.? (To also make sure its real Cartier).

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
As Mrssalvo''s signature line says ... "it''s only a good deal if you''re getting exactly what you want."

I''m hesitant about this ring for a few reasons ... firstly - look at the bezel in this picture ... it''s doesn''t appear to be centered correctly within the halo. The ring would not fit flush (or even CLOSE) with a wedding band because it is so low set. And, if it even IS genuine Cartier, no one would ever know as it''s not a well-known Cartier design.

I think you''re right about it not looking so sparkly either ... what was considered "ideal cut" in the seventies or before is NOT what is considered "ideal cut" or "super ideal cut" TODAY. I''d guess this stone has a large table.

*cough* pass. But you already sense that, dontcha!

cartierfrontview.JPG

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
too risky for my blood

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for bringing up those points - I was concerned about the cut but didn''t realize that a 70s cut would matter. Also that off center picture bugged me but I couldn''t tell if it was lighting or something.

I think I''ll pass but its interesting how many Cartier pieces this seller has had recently.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 3:15:21 PM
Author: winternight
its interesting how many Cartier pieces this seller has had recently.
Hmmmm... the mystery deepens. I looked at their "completed auctions" and most of those Cartier pieces haven''t even gotten a single bid!

I also am suspicious that all the photos are taken in the SAME vintage Cartier box ... or, perhaps two. Similar if not identical wear patterns in the gold stripe around the bottom of the box on all the photos.
27.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Ebay is so scary sometimes! I wouldn''t have thought to check box wear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results