shape
carat
color
clarity

vintage 9 gemstone ring?

lolo

Rough_Rock
I got this ring from a charity sale in NYC about 8 years ago, the only marking inside is what appears to be 925. At first I thought it was all the birthstones or chakras, but the numbers and stones don't match up for either, any ideas? Perhaps someone with a lot of children?

Anyway I've been curious for years and just found this place, thanks!

img_11345.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 925 most likely indicates the silver purity, as you probably know. .925,or 92.5% silver, is the minimum amount of silver needed in a alloy for the mixture to be called sterling silver. as to what the stones represent I think you're right, it's anybody's guess. The closest thing I've seen to this ring is a gold ring that one of my coworkers wears as a reminder of his home country, Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka has a wealth of many different kinds of gemstones so his ring, with many examples of country's mineral wealth, represents his homeland. Your ring might be a souvenir from that part of the world or another gem-rich area, or it could be a birthstone ring that uses "alternative birthstone" where the more excepted birthstones were not available or too expensive.

Enjoy your mystery ring!

lolo

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for the reply! I finally googled "9 stone ring" and I found the answer, you're on the right track with your coworker.

"The ancient origin of the 9 Gems—called Navaratna in Sanskrit, Hindi, Kannada, Burmese, Indonesian, and Nepali, Navarathinam in Tamil, Navarathnalu in Telugu, Navarathnam in Malayalam, Navaratna in Singhalese, and Nawarat or Noppharat in Thai—has proved impossible to trace. Yet such importance is given to this combination of nine gems that they are recognized as sacred and royal in almost all the countries of Asia, including, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia, regardless of religious and cultural differences.[1]"

"Top quality and flawless ruby is the gem for the Sun, natural pearl for the Moon, red coral for Mars, emerald for Mercury yellow sapphire for Jupiter, diamond for Venus, blue sapphire for Saturn, hessonite for Rahu (ascending lunar node), and cat's eye for Ketu (descending lunar node)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navaratna

navaratna-setting-system.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very cool! I'm glad you were able to find definitive information about your ring. I think I did ask my coworker ( more accurately, former coworker as we've both moved on since then) about the meaning of his ring, and I seem to recall that he gave me a very vague answer. I guess he either didn't know or didn't feel the need to explain the sacred meaning behind his ring. Thank you for coming back to share what you've learned with the rest of us!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results