shape
carat
color
clarity

viewing inscription

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dcircle

Rough_Rock
Should I be able to view the laser inscription on my diamond with a loop? I can''t seem to find it. Is there a usual location on the girdle where it is normally done?

Thanks a lot

EZ

Rough_Rock
From my reading I understand one needs at least a 30X magnification to read and at least 50X is better.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Stones are usually set with the inscription "showing" (visible between prongs, etc.) but sometimes not. I think that's an "OOPS!" when that happens.

With reeeeallly good eyesight
2.gif
some people can view it with a 20x loupe. I prefer a microscope, though!

Lynn

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Guys,
I can easily see a laser inscrption with a 10 power loupe- and my eyes ain''t that great!

dcircle- try tilting the diamond so that the light bounces off the girdle.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too can see mine with my 10x loupe.
First I locate what looks like a dark smudge somewhere along the 360 degrees of the girdle.
Then to actually read the inscription I have to experiment with different lighting positions and viewing angles.

Rest your elbows on the table, with the far side of your hands touching for support and stability.
I also rest one of my hands against my chin and nose.

The loupe must be not be at an angle; keep it perpendicular to the line of sight for best resolution.

Look through center of the loupe not the edge.

Look straight ahead, and relax the eyes as if you are looking through a window at the horizon, focus by moving loupe and stone, not with your eye muscles.
Try to get used to keeping both eyes open.
(I may help to use your dominant eye. Google that one to determine it.)

In other words, get very comfortable.

Then, for my eyes I have slightly better visual acuity if I look slightly to the left or right of the inscription.
This is a trick I learned from astronomy when trying to locate faint stars.
The rods and cones in the center of the retina are basically worn out from relatively heavy use, so if you look just to the left or right of the faint star it will suddenly pop into view.

With practice and patience I can read all the numbers in the inscription clearly.
Of course, having a better loupe doesn't hurt either.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
David and Kenny,
WOW! Great info, thanks for sharing. I''ll try that!
10.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results