shape
carat
color
clarity

Vietnam red spinel question

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. Long story but I am now addicted or at least fascinated with red spinels so I was shopping again and found this red spinel that I liked. It looks very bright and neon, is fluorescent and so my question is whether Vietnamese spinels can rival the ‘neon’ or ‘Jedi’ ones found elsewhere? Or are they limited to Burma?

Also, I won’t be doing business with this guy because apparently I asked too many questions and so he raised the price on me saying I was wasting his time. ☹️ He had also balked at my return policy question so I’m posting his info as a warning. He lives in the US so I was hopeful that it would be an easy transaction but oh well.

Here are the photos.

3FCA3F12-5F3C-4A68-A8CC-0715BF01A650.jpeg
4327C025-7B1E-498F-AFB9-8C35FA75A606.jpeg ED59D49D-8B07-453C-99A8-5E7434845F06.jpeg
D03A5FCF-A2BB-439E-9A16-F6D5CCD30EB0.jpeg

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Forget this vendor, all he will be is problems.

Truthfully, the Spinel's color is ok, but not close to Jedi. I would also say from the pictures the stone it is shallow and windowed, though the pictures are not good.

Yes, there are truly amazing reds to be had from Vietnam, but they are not cheap.

I'd continue your search if I was you.

Last edited:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I also found this other one for half the price. I’m still waiting for more photos but it looks pinkish-red. It may be less neon but still bright.

7434D74B-13A3-4959-80C0-35DF1F76CAF2.jpeg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
What is the carat weight? Really cannot help unless I/we know the carat weight.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
What is the carat weight? Really cannot help unless I/we know the carat weight.

Good point. The first one is 1.14ct. The second is a little over a carat. Thanks!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I also found this other one for half the price. I’m still waiting for more photos but it looks pinkish-red. It may be less neon but still bright.

7434D74B-13A3-4959-80C0-35DF1F76CAF2.jpeg

The color looks to have less orange in it. No window, the price is good, but, know that it will look more pinkish red in Vietnam, than if you live in a temperate climate. Red stones are always more vivid under tropical light. The closer to the equator the more vivid.

Don't be surprised if this stone looks hot pink in if you are not in the tropics.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg, run from the first vendor, and also please name them so we can avoid this person! Also, not even close to jedi. Not. even. close. The 2nd one is nice, but also not jedi color. It will be more pink than red.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
omg, run from the first vendor, and also please name them so we can avoid this person! Also, not even close to jedi. Not. even. close. The 2nd one is nice, but also not jedi color. It will be more pink than red.

His Insta handle is on the snapshot I posted of our chat. I apologized for wasting his time and left it at that even though my time, of course, was also wasted. So annoying.

I don’t need it to be officially Jedi but I am aiming for something bright and glowy and vivid if that makes sense. And pinkish is ok as long as it’s still in the red category. I just wasn’t sure if Vietnam stones would qualify or if these are only found in Burma. My budget is under $1k and I would like 1ct.

I have these little hot pink ones. And my recent purchase is a very nice, bright red but it doesn’t ‘glow’. If I could find a pinkish-red one that glows a bit like a ruby that would be awesome. Whether I can find an affordable one is the big question.

7C51DF70-2CDB-4119-89D2-46A317A62F0A.jpeg
260D9212-490F-4F4E-AC37-D3AC44A61710.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
He just officially listed the one he offered to me for the higher price. He had sent me videos of 4 stones and I liked this one the most. I guess the extra $240 is really worth it to him.

M

maru8888777

Joe Henley has Burmese spinels that he's advertising as jedis on his website. A few are close to 1ct and under 1K. There isn't much info on the stones, but maybe you could ask? I don't know what the return policy is and they look fairly included, but he's reliable and has been very eager to provide info for me in the past.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joe Henley has Burmese spinels that he's advertising as jedis on his website. A few are close to 1ct and under 1K. There isn't much info on the stones, but maybe you could ask? I don't know what the return policy is and they look fairly included, but he's reliable and has been very eager to provide info for me in the past.

I love joe Henley. So honest ans kind

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
He just officially listed the one he offered to me for the higher price. He had sent me videos of 4 stones and I liked this one the most. I guess the extra $240 is really worth it to him.

After seeing the videos, it is a very nice color and there may not be a window or much of one. But I bet you his videos are taken in Vietnam sunlight.

Still, I would not buy from him after what he wrote to you. If he makes such a big deal out of what you asked him, just think of the hassle trying to get a refund.

That is the problem with many of these dealers from Vietnam, Burma, Pakistan, India, and sometimes Sri Lanka, getting a refund. Sure you pay less, but the risk is so much greater.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing the videos, it is a very nice color and there may not be a window or much of one. But I bet you his videos are taken in Vietnam sunlight.

Still, I would not buy from him after what he wrote to you. If he makes such a big deal out of what you asked him, just think of the hassle trying to get a refund.

That is the problem with many of these dealers from Vietnam, Burma, Pakistan, India, and sometimes Sri Lanka, getting a refund. Sure you pay less, but the risk is so much greater.

He’s actually in the US (Virginia) with family still in Vietnam. He sent me photos of him and his wife and the kitchen he is remodeling which I really didn’t need to see but I thought he was being friendly yesterday and all of a sudden I’m wasting his time asking questions about a $900 stone? Don’t worry, I will find another stone!

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
He’s actually in the US (Virginia) with family still in Vietnam. He sent me photos of him and his wife and the kitchen he is remodeling which I really didn’t need to see but I thought he was being friendly yesterday and all of a sudden I’m wasting his time asking questions about a $900 stone? Don’t worry, I will find another stone!

After taking a look at his Instagram, I know him, he is on FB too. Yes, he is in the USA. His sister sales out of Vietnam. Small world, but that does not make what he said, right. Maybe a bad day.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
After taking a look at his Instagram, I know him, he is on FB too. Yes, he is in the USA. His sister sales out of Vietnam. Small world, but that does not make what he said, right. Maybe a bad day.

Interesting. When I asked about a return policy his response was “Let’s not go there. My stones are high quality”. I’m sure they are but what if the color just isn’t what I want when I see it in my own lighting? He also bragged about selling a $13k stone to someone in Hong Kong and sent me photos of 5ct spinels. He wasted his own time with all of that. Maybe I’m just too small a customer for him. I used to be in retail and was taught that small customers can eventually become big customers so….

I just don’t get it. Asking questions saves us both the hassle of a return. Doesn’t really matter. There are plenty of other vendors.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. When I asked about a return policy his response was “Let’s not go there. My stones are high quality”. I’m sure they are but what if the color just isn’t what I want when I see it in my own lighting? He also bragged about selling a $13k stone to someone in Hong Kong and sent me photos of 5ct spinels. He wasted his own time with all of that. Maybe I’m just too small a customer for him. I used to be in retail and was taught that small customers can eventually become big customers so….

I just don’t get it. Asking questions saves us both the hassle of a return. Doesn’t really matter. There are plenty of other vendors.

I understand.

If I was you I'd think the same thing. You are completely right.

Lot of vendors out there, and as I said, beware of the countries I wrote about above.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don’t get it. Asking questions saves us both the hassle of a return. Doesn’t really matter.

I think you get it perfectly. He sounds awful and I am glad you ran away. I have never had an experience even close to that. I have had vendors respond more slowly to each question and I have read between the lines. I also think some men feel that they can treat women like sh$t.

If he is flexing on a kitchen remodel (ooh!) and a single low-five-figure sale half a world away, he is not a big deal. :lol-2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have actually bought Jedi spinel from Joe Henley before. It was really neon but itty bitty tiny at only 4mm. I put it in a ring and have it away as a gift.

@CaseyLouLou Any competent vendor understands that an informed buyer is a better buyer. They also welcome questions (and have a generous return policy), because they believe in their product. As you said, communication prior to a sale helps avoid returns as well, so it's mutually beneficial. I'd say run, don't walk, from that vendor. He raised the price out of spite? How silly.

A little anecdote from my dad... he collects classic cars. We were at a car show once, and an unkempt gentleman in a grease soiled t-shirt and jeans was inquiring to another owner about his car. That owner was less than engaging. My father pointed out the interaction to me. He said, "you never know who the big spenders are in this business... his car collection is around $3 million... he's eccentric but a hell of a nice guy." Some folks could use a little less hubris and a little more humility.

Good luck in your continued red spinel hunt, my friend!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
@CaseyLouLou Any competent vendor understands that an informed buyer is a better buyer. They also welcome questions (and have a generous return policy), because they believe in their product. As you said, communication prior to a sale helps avoid returns as well, so it's mutually beneficial. I'd say run, don't walk, from that vendor. He raised the price out of spite? How silly.

A little anecdote from my dad... he collects classic cars. We were at a car show once, and an unkempt gentleman in a grease soiled t-shirt and jeans was inquiring to another owner about his car. That owner was less than engaging. My father pointed out the interaction to me. He said, "you never know who the big spenders are in this business... his car collection is around $3 million... he's eccentric but a hell of a nice guy." Some folks could use a little less hubris and a little more humility.

Good luck in your continued red spinel hunt, my friend!

Sooooo much this. If I wasn't too lazy (and if it wasn't against the rules :mrgreen:) I'd make 10 alt accounts just to give it 10 more likes.

I'm not a tradeswoman but I do sell my services to my clients. My field is in general complicated, and even though educating your client takes some extra time and effort, the returns of this non-monetary investment are so worth it. An informed client is a happy client, who understands what is going on, why it is the way it is, understands why sometimes things can't happen the way they want to and is a lot more likely to return for more work. If you fail to make your client/customer feel respected and valued, you will in all probability lose them.

To add my own anecdote, my husband is one of those people who, no matter how well off or poor he is at any given time, always dresses like a hobo. :lol: And he usually sticks to the places that respect him as a customer regardless of his looks and how much he is looking to spend at any particular moment. His way of gauging the businesses with pristine customer service, I guess, and it's been pretty effective so far. Considering how I benefit from it, I try to not complain about the hobo part too much. :lol:

Sooooo much this. If I wasn't too lazy (and if it wasn't against the rules :mrgreen:) I'd make 10 alt accounts just to give it 10 more likes.

I'm not a tradeswoman but I do sell my services to my clients. My field is in general complicated, and even though educating your client takes some extra time and effort, the returns of this non-monetary investment are so worth it. An informed client is a happy client, who understands what is going on, why it is the way it is, understands why sometimes things can't happen the way they want to and is a lot more likely to return for more work. If you fail to make your client/customer feel respected and valued, you will in all probability lose them.

To add my own anecdote, my husband is one of those people who, no matter how well off or poor he is at any given time, always dresses like a hobo. :lol: And he usually sticks to the places that respect him as a customer regardless of his looks and how much he is looking to spend at any particular moment. His way of gauging the businesses with pristine customer service, I guess, and it's been pretty effective so far. Considering how I benefit from it, I try to not complain about the hobo part too much. :lol:

Here, here!!
respect_01.gif

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look ridiculous sometimes! Think $10 mini skirt, $5 singlet and $15 tote bag while wearing a giant ring.

Haha I usually do this when I'm out by myself as I think it's a good disguise to not get mugged. People probably think my rings are from Sportsgirl (cheap teenage clothing chain that sells some jewelry).

Once I was out with the girls at night by myself for dinner at one of those hole in the wall places. Was wearing the big heart ring with jeans and a jumper. I was telling the girls about my scheme. They cracked up and said that my pokemon tote bag was really adding to the effect.

I look ridiculous sometimes! Think $10 mini skirt, $5 singlet and $15 tote bag while wearing a giant ring.

Haha I usually do this when I'm out by myself as I think it's a good disguise to not get mugged. People probably think my rings are from Sportsgirl (cheap teenage clothing chain that sells some jewelry).

Once I was out with the girls at night by myself for dinner at one of those hole in the wall places. Was wearing the big heart ring with jeans and a jumper. I was telling the girls about my scheme. They cracked up and said that my pokemon tote bag was really adding to the effect.

I sort of love the contrast of casual clothes with super bling... think athleisure and giant diamond studs. :geek2:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I sort of love the contrast of casual clothes with super bling... think athleisure and giant diamond studs. :geek2:

I went to pick up my ring on the way to the gym today. I looked so underdressed for the jewelry store (as usual) but I don’t care. I will wear jewelry with anything these days.

Here’s a preview. I need to take more photos tomorrow in daylight. These are indoor evening photos. The color is impossible to capture. It’s a nice vibrant red and has nice sparkle and bright red flashes. It doesn’t black out.

1E4E262A-EBB6-43F3-A799-29CF3CE3E73A.jpeg
C2367C43-B050-48E9-A0CA-0A9F3E7F717B.jpeg 15A62436-7E90-4815-8181-064F3FA12120.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some indoor, natural daylight photos, away from the window. The color is pretty close to what I see. When the sun is brighter I will take some in more direct light.

I realized I posted this in the wrong thread. It’s my Burmese spinel and not from Vietnam.

2EF0B6B8-2326-4AF1-8DC2-D3AE99E6536F.jpeg 41E0880C-D075-402A-8FB8-784E4A5C24D3.jpeg
4E6F6508-21F1-4842-BDB0-CFF4FFA2514D.jpeg C6008A1A-8BC3-442E-A278-496F724904D0.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results