shape
carat
color
clarity

Videos of ovals - opinions wanted.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just getting vimeo's homepage. Looks like vimeo now requires you to be a member to view their videos?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Well it was hard to compare the first one since its tilted. The last one has a too pronounced bowtie for my tastes. The middle one has a bowtie that is not as distracting and is my favorite of the three.

However, if you're working with Gold Old Gold, you might ask them if they can find you an oval cut similar to the 2.22 oval in the video below (starting at 2:18 minutes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54V_Hzh8SM

In the video, Jonathan was really impressed with the cut quality of the 2.22 diamond. Its got a minimal bowtie and really nice proportions. Of course, you may not need an E VS1 but at whatever color or clarity grade you decide on, I think this cut is magnificent.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
The one on the right was my least favorite.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the left and middle ones, but they are noticeably smaller and yellower than the E. Tint wouldn't bother me so long as I knew ahead of time and wasn't expecting icy white. Reshoot between the two to get a better ideas, as the left one was too far away to compare.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also preferred the middle and left over the one on the R.

The middle one took the edge, for me.

Allabouticeice

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! Can someone comment on the ASET pictures too please. I will get Sarah to redo the video and post another link soon.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not that familiar with reading ASETs for ovals but the ASET and DiamXRay on the G SI1 look slightly better. I'm not as impressed with the microcophic photos of the G SI1 diamond though. However, comparing the G and H diamonds by their photos is still a bit of an apples to oranges comparison since one of the diamonds is in E-W orientation and the other is photographed in N-S.

I agree with JulieN. Have them reshoot the video with just the first two in the same orientation. In other videos, Jonathan is really picky about getting the diamonds to sit straight up for easy comparison and this video is not up to his standards if you need to compare the first two diamonds.

Quite frankly though, I looked at both of these ovals awhile back when I thought I was getting an oval and I decided to pass on them. Neither one looked as good as the cut of the 2.22 carat in the video I posted above which Jonathan said was almost the perfect oval. You're already getting a price break by going with an oval rather than a round by sacrificing some brilliance so it makes to get the most brilliant cut in an oval you can. I'm sure Good Old Gold can get more ovals for you to compare. You're shopping at the best place for fancy cuts.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer the H over the G. When I looked at the pictures/images I was thinking G but after the video I'm thinking H.
They looked very similar to me. I would ask for a video with just the two you are looking at.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
I love the 2.00ct G SI1 Oval (I think that is the one on the far left). I like sqauttier ovals as opposed to elongated ones. I think they look better when set

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Jonathan did a great video! :appl: I never realized how hard it was to keep those pesky ovals in line. It was great to see the handshots on Sarah as well as the natural lighting shots; they really made a difference.

Like Jonathan's commentary in the video, I prefer the length to width ratio of the H; however, the G is a little more attractive to me, especially in natural lighting. I think with this video you can truly just pick which oval is more appealing to you and be satisfied with your purchase.

Allabouticeice

Rough_Rock
Hi AmeliaG

Thanks for your input. Jonathan likes the E the best followed by the H. But I have to agree with you somehow when you put the G on Sarah's finger the G looks slightly better than the H. However, the overall look i prefer the E not sure if it is because it is bigger. I have a dilemma because though I like the E, it is $7000 price difference! I am not sure if the visual difference is worth $7000.

Decisions decisions!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Allabouticeice,

I think I see what Jonathan means about the 2.20. It has less light leakage at the tips than the other two so the oval is overall more sparkly even with the slightly larger bowtie. The $7000 difference is probably due to the higher color and larger size. The larger size is nice-it will not be an overpowering size if you get it; I'm not that color sensitive so I couldn't tell the difference between the color in the E and G but I could between the E and H. The slightly larger bowtie is distracting enough for me to prefer the G even though the larger diamond is overall more sparkly, but if you're not as sensitive to bowties as me, the 2.20 is a very, very sparkly diamond with good color and probably the best size of the bunch. Ovals face up a bit smaller than other shapes.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I like the look of the G better. Also I can see the tint in the H compared to the G. Personally I would not pay $7k more for the 2.2!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before seeing Jon's commentary, I like the G because sparkle and size wise it looks basically the same as the H but it is noticably less tinted. I also loke a fatter oval, and the bowtie seems even less noticable in the G than the H.

But seeing the second videos, the H is more lively than the G. I think in most natural lighting the slight tint would be not noticable. So I would lean to the H. I would trust Jon, too, since he is seeing it in person.

But I think you should choose what you like the look of the most, at this point, in conjunction with Jon's opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results