shape
carat
color
clarity

victorian pendant. got it! and now?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
I am not too much of a pendant person, but I surrendered to the geometrical, almost antique roman look of this victorian pendant.
It measures 4.2 cm by 2.7 cm across.
Of course, in all the euphoria associated with the new buy, I am also realizing there is a lot I don't know yet, and therefore I call your help on a couple of issues.

It is stated that it is 15k yellow gold, but the 60 cm chain that comes with it is quite ugly, very fake looking gold plated metal, so this will be substituted. Therefore, I have quite some flexibility in the length of the chain I'd like to get for it. I am a bit worried however that it will be difficult to find a chain matching well in color, since 15k is quite rare. Am I completely wrong here?

On top of it, the pendant is also very very dirty, especially in he little corners between the cabochon and the enamel and on the cammeo on the back side (please apologize me for the gross close-up.. I just thought it might show better the situation). How can I clean this properly without damaging the surfaces?

Thank you :)

d.

__kgrhqjhjfmfchdnu9oebqtomngkgg__60_12.jpg

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
and the back side (possibly, representing Leda and the swan). again, sorry for the dirt!!

__kgrhqzhjcwfcd-sqnysbqtomqhuoq__60_12.jpg

beckweed

Rough_Rock
Your pendant is beautiful. I love it!

I don't know about the chain. I think read somewhere that 9kt and 15kt yellow gold is more common in europe. If that is where you're at, perhaps you can find a 15kt chain.

I did a quick google on cleaning cameos and here is what I found:

"Cameos require special care and cleaning to keep them as beautiful as when first purchased.

Shell and coral cameos in particular need a beauty regimen. Shell cameo-jewelry is prone to discoloration and cracking from drying as they age.

To prevent the color-change and discoloration they need to be moisturized a couple of times of year with baby or mineral oil. Just apply the oil with your finger or soft-cotton swab and let it sit overnight.

In the morning, wipe any remaining oil from the cameo with a soft fabric cloth--DO NOT use a paper towel.

DO NOT wash the excess oil off or the moisturizing effect of the oil will be washed away also. Moisturize or rehydrate your cameos twice or year and each time after cleaning them. To clean your shell and coral cameos, use a jewelry cleaner that is safe for cleaning pearls.

Many jewelry cleaning solutions available have harsh chemicals in them that are unsafe for pearls, shell cameos and coral cameo-jewelry. If a jewelry cleaning solution says to not clean pearls with it, do not use it on your cameos.

For care-of-cameos, use only those cleaners that state specifically they are safe forpearls.

Pearls, shell cameos and coral cameos all calcium carbonate and must be cleaned gently. A soft toothbrush may be used gently to scrub the cameo.

Follow the pearl-cleaner manufacturer's directions. Do not leave your cameo in the cleaner for longer than thirty seconds.

If you are uncertain about cleaning your cameo jewelry, take it to a professional jeweler for cleaning.

Follow any cleaning of your cameo with a moisturizer of baby or mineral oil. Care-of-cameos includes properly storing it when you are not wearing it.

Again, like pearls, cameos can be scratched or chipped when stored with other jewelry.

Cameo jewelry should be stored individually--not in a jewelry box with other jewelry pieces. It is best if you store your cameo in a fabric jewelry-pouch to protect it from being scratched and chipped."

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous piece! I loved the pic of the front that I saw while reading your text, but then scrolled down to see that there is a beautiful cameo on the back too! Precious.

The only cleaning tip I can recommend is a good painting brush instead of a toothbrush. There is a big selection at arts & crafts stores, and a good one that is sturdy but with a good tip or edge would make those little details easier to clean (and is probably gentler than a toothbrush too).

Please post more pics!

Rosa

Shiny_Rock
That pendant is gorgeous! Congratulations on such a find.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
beckweed|1355274262|3329004 said:
Your pendant is beautiful. I love it!

I don't know about the chain. I think read somewhere that 9kt and 15kt yellow gold is more common in europe. If that is where you're at, perhaps you can find a 15kt chain.

To prevent the color-change and discoloration they need to be moisturized a couple of times per year with baby or mineral oil. Just apply the oil with your finger or soft-cotton swab and let it sit overnight.

If you are uncertain about cleaning your cameo jewelry, take it to a professional jeweler for cleaning.

Hi Beckweed!

thank you!! :)

I do live in Europe (a bit in the Netherlands, where I have my job and my boyfriend, and a bit in Italy, where I have my roots), so I am happy to hear I have higher chances to find a 15k chain here! I took a look at a jeweler and it does seem that nowadays they only carry 14k and 18k, so perhaps I should try to search in vintage jewelry and antique shops. These are however more common in Belgium and Italy, and not so much in the Netherlands.

I'm a bit worried about the moisturizing procedure suggested here. I have not yet received the pendant, but from the pictures it does look like there is a glass protection in front of it.. so perhaps advice 3 'take it to a jeweler' is exactly what I should do..

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
GemFever|1355289189|3329139 said:
Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous piece! I loved the pic of the front that I saw while reading your text, but then scrolled down to see that there is a beautiful cameo on the back too! Precious.

The only cleaning tip I can recommend is a good painting brush instead of a toothbrush. There is a big selection at arts & crafts stores, and a good one that is sturdy but with a good tip or edge would make those little details easier to clean (and is probably gentler than a toothbrush too).

Please post more pics!

Hi Gemfever :wavey: thank you for your kind comments!
I am not very knowledgeable in jewelry matters (and in many other things as well), so I was a bit afraid of being ripped off :bigsmile:

Good tip that of the brush!! I love painting so I already have a bunch of these at home to play with once the pendant is here.
Do you also dip the tip in water and mild detergent before brushing over the details or is meant more for eliminating the dusty dirt?
I suspect that what we see in the picture has been encrusted there for ages.. ewww.. :nono:

Another picture upcoming!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Rosa|1355298971|3329178 said:
That pendant is gorgeous! Congratulations on such a find.

Hi Rosa, thank you!! :) so sweet!

I have a close up of the cameo here. there is a bang on the side of the golden frame, and to me it does look like there is dirt accumulated on the inside of the protective glass. but it's all speculation.. might be that there is no glass at all..

__kgrhqfhje_fcdcqf_kibqtomnki2q__60_12.jpg

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
another picture from the seller. I really thing the chain color looks wrong with the pendant..

__kgrhqzhjdyfc0zhsp9vbqtol4bjgq__60_12.jpg

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
The first thing I noticed was that the bird doesn't quite resemble a swan to me, more of an eagle, at least to me. The lack of long neck and the distinctive feathering is more eagle like. The eagle appears as a common symbol in Roman (messenger of Zeus and used in Roman flags to stand for the empire), Greek (symbol of Jupiter), and Christians (Saint John the Evangelist).
The designs on the other side of the pendant seem to have a subtle Eastern geometric influence rather than the very fluid Roman styles, although maybe Etruscan or Greek Geometric.

1. Roman- the female personna is more prevalent there. The female could stand for Venus, Roma (Rome), Victoria (Victory). I have a little trouble believing any other of the goddesses other than Venus as Roma and Victoria were usually depicted in military garb and the eagle is usually a military symbol while the pendant is very peace like.
2. Greek- Most probable in my opinion. "Zeus took the form of an eagle when he carried his young lover Ganymede to Mt. Olympus" from http://www.eaglespiritministry.com/works/ese.htm This is consistent with the laid back appearance of the bird and woman/goddess.
3. Byzantine. I initially leaned toward this due to the geometric patterns and the eagle is present in Christianity as a symbol of St. John the Evangelist, but I just can't find a reason for the woman other than maybe as a symbol for Roma.

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
The more I see it, the more the combination of the design and the use of blue and gold reminds me of Eastern influences. I think I lean towards Byzantine for the front and Roman for the cameo, which makes little sense. Maybe from the eastern Providences during the Roman Empire?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
starrylight|1355336313|3329513 said:
The first thing I noticed was that the bird doesn't quite resemble a swan to me, more of an eagle, at least to me. The lack of long neck and the distinctive feathering is more eagle like. The eagle appears as a common symbol in Roman (messenger of Zeus and used in Roman flags to stand for the empire), Greek (symbol of Jupiter), and Christians (Saint John the Evangelist).
The designs on the other side of the pendant seem to have a subtle Eastern geometric influence rather than the very fluid Roman styles, although maybe Etruscan or Greek Geometric.

1. Roman- the female personna is more prevalent there. The female could stand for Venus, Roma (Rome), Victoria (Victory). I have a little trouble believing any other of the goddesses other than Venus as Roma and Victoria were usually depicted in military garb and the eagle is usually a military symbol while the pendant is very peace like.
2. Greek- Most probable in my opinion. "Zeus took the form of an eagle when he carried his young lover Ganymede to Mt. Olympus" from http://www.eaglespiritministry.com/works/ese.htm This is consistent with the laid back appearance of the bird and woman/goddess.
3. Byzantine. I initially leaned toward this due to the geometric patterns and the eagle is present in Christianity as a symbol of St. John the Evangelist, but I just can't find a reason for the woman other than maybe as a symbol for Roma.

Hi starrylight!

I agree with you that the bird does have some eagle-like features (including the claws). I did not notice this before reading your post, so thank you for engaging in this conversation! :)

Regarding the precise style of the ring, it is really a mystery to me. I am a bit clueless, but I think that the roman did absorb a lot of the greek style through their relationships with the greek islands and by importing educated greek are teachers and artists. the etruscan influence on the roman art was instead due to the fact that the roman empire arose from the destruction of the etruscan communities originated in central italy. Finally, the byzantine style absorbed then all of it and mixed it with its own roots.

perhaps in the victorian era these distictions were used very fluidly in the production of jewelry? :???:

I also have to say that I bought the pendant from a seller from the UK.. not that it really says anything about where it was produced..

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Starrylight, I've done some research and it looks like you are right on the eagle!!

I post a picture below. the website I took this picture from explains that the cameo below portrays Hebe and the eagle.

http://the-antique-shop.com/inventory/jewelry/hebe.htm

How exciting!! :bigsmile:

To me, the scene on this cameo look very similar to mine. What do you all think? :)

hebeandeagle.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, definitely see the resemblance!

Starrylight, what a thoughtful post! :read:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
indeed!! I'll do some research as soon as I'm out of the office :naughty:

Thanks girls!! :appl: so so fun!!!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
beautiful!! :))

I've read on the web that Hebe was the goddess of Youth, Purity, and Beauty. This website
( http://www.swedenborgstudy.com/books/C.Th.Odhner_Mythology-Greeks-Romans/23.html ) says:

As goddess of eternal youth, it is she who greets the apotheosized heroes on their entrance into Olympus, presenting to them the cup of Nectar which immediately restores them to the first bloom of youthfulness and beauty, and endows them with immortality as the reward of victorious combats. And since we know that "growing old in Heaven is to grow young," (H. H. 414), we find that Hebe constantly waits upon all the gods at their Olympian banquets, pouring out for them that same elixir of eternal life, from which each day they quaff unending and ever-renewing youth.

The eagle instead is supposed to represent Zeus.

On another website I´ve read that the figure of Hebe became very popular in the XVIII century, when European ladies liked to be portrayed in Hebe´s semblance, as a symbol of beauty and youth.

very nice story! and it comes right on time, as in a few days I´ll be turning 27.

will it help avoiding the wrinkles?? :naughty:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Hi girls!

I just received the parcel from the UK, and it looks magnificent!! :love:
Very helpful in providing some distraction for the boring days of a girl temporarily bounded to bed with a flu.

There is indeed a glass protecting the cameo, and I certainly think that a professional will be needed to give it a proper clean on the part covered by the glass. The manufacturing is excellent... breathtaking!!

thank you all for your help and support!!

I'll post other pics once I'm in better shape.

d.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking forward to the pics! Feel better soon!

Groucho

Rough_Rock
I thought you might want to know a bit more about 15 carat gold:

15 carat was the British Commonwealth standard for a high carat, strongly yellow and reasonably hard gold that was used in pieces that had a lot of wear like bracelets, chains, etc. It was discontinued in England as a gold standard in 1932 with the Commonwealth member countries soon following.

Your cameo is gorgeous --- enjoy!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gemfever! thank you! :))
I'll do my best to post the pictures soon!

Groucho! Thanks a lot for the info!! ::)
Totally makes sense: the pendant is also English.
Then I'll search for a chain in UK antique shops :)

Search_Ends_Here

Rough_Rock
Far more important when looking for your chain than looking for 15k is to look for the proper color match. 19th century gold jewelry was made in a variety of karats and also colors. Many 14 & 15 karat pieces were flashed with a high karat wash to create a look that emulated the archaic designs being interpreted which were in near pure gold. Not all 15k is the same color so not all will compliment your pendant.
The color of the cameo shown in your images indicates the possability of it being a hard stone carving rather than a shell cameo like the example shown by another poster. If it is a stone carving, you should not put oil on it and simply using diluted amonia and a soft brush will clean it.
It is hard to see the color of the front stone, but it is probably a garnet. Is it a dark red?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Hi SEH! thanks for your suggestions!

Indeed the cameo does look like a thin stone carving.

But I have bad news.
I was a bit uncomfortable taking such a dirty piece to my jeweler, so I wanted to clean at least the exposed parts of the pendant before taking it to the shop. As I took the time to clean it, in the very bright light of the bathroom, I realized a few things I did not like at all.

First, the pendand has a creek on one side. that's where I assume most of the dirt on the cameo came in. Already not so nice.

Second, the stone is not firmly set and does look a lot like glass. I am no expert here, but I am almost sure it is not a natural stone.

Third, there is some discoloration a few mm on the side of the cameo, on the right. Looking back at the second picture I posted, I do realize it was visible there too. Just, I had no clue it was there before yesterday. I suspect it might be gold plated silver.

All things taken together, make me think I should send the pendant back. The seller is quite reputable and has many very positive feedbacks. She also immediately responded to my email apologizing and reassuring me I can send it back after the holidays with no issues on their side.

What a delusion, though!! :(

maybe it will at least help curb my ebay appetite for a while :lol:

xban333

Rough_Rock
Looking forward to the pics! Feel better soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results