shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian OEC Diamond Lavalier Pendant

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was a pleasant surprise when it arrived this morning.

I bought this on ebay based on the worst photos I have seen yet (see below). It was said to have an approximately 5mm diamond, and since I was looking for a stone that size, I took a chance and bought it for a very good price. Of course :lol:

My plan was to cannibalize it for the stone, but it is simply too beautiful. The diamond is smaller than advertised, clocking in at about 4.2mm to the inner edges of the bezel. I suspect it is 4.5mm or about 0.30ct, loose. It is white, clean, and beautifully cut, and as I suspected, an Old European.

The pendant needs a new chain (the one it came with is cheap gold filled junk), but otherwise it is perfect. Once I spruce it up and get a new chain, I will be giving it to my mom for her uncoming 60th birthday! I think it matches her engagement ring very well, which is an OEC in a yellow gold buttercup style mount.

First up, the hideous vendor photos. It saddens me when sellers cannot do better with their photography. I think she easily could have sold this for twice what I paid if people knew its true beauty.

lavalier1.jpg

lavalier2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And my photos.

lavalier 001.JPG

lavalier 003.JPG

lavalier 005.JPG

lavalier 006.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pendant is quite delicate, being about 1 inch top to bottom. I think my mom will love it! It is very much her style.

lavalier 007.JPG

lavalier 008.JPG

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't even look like the same diamond in the seller photos and yours. Beautiful diamond, beautiful pendant. I can see why you don't want to cannibalize it.

liz

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, great find, and another pretty stone! :appl: And how nice of you to give to your mom.

But those vendor pics :-o :knockout: It actually makes me chuckle that you wouldn't have bought the recent RL 2+ carat ring based on their pics, which were WAY better than these horrid pics! Must have been a steal with a great return policy!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1331844576|3149498 said:
Dreamer, great find, and another pretty stone! :appl: And how nice of you to give to your mom.

But those vendor pics :-o :knockout: It actually makes me chuckle that you wouldn't have bought the recent RL 2+ carat ring based on their pics, which were WAY better than these horrid pics! Must have been a steal with a great return policy!

I paid $150 with 7 day returns :)) It was a killer deal when the stone was 5mm as advertised, but still decent at 4.3mm+. The least expensive comps were $220. Anyways, I will gamble on that much money, but not on $5k.

Libby I know, they are horrendous photos. But I saw potential. You can see the little table.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331845713|3149509 said:
TravelingGal|1331844576|3149498 said:

I paid $150 with 7 day returns :)) It was a killer deal when the stone was 5mm as advertised, but still decent at 4.3mm+. The least expensive comps were $220. Anyways, I will gamble on that much money, but not on $5k.

Libby I know, they are horrendous photos. But I saw potential. You can see the little table.

Ooh girl, for that price, leave it as is, and give it to your mom. It looks to be a really pretty stone and yeah, I'd gamble for that much. 5+K would give me a heart attack. 4.3K nearly did me in!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OH wow, D! I'm so glad you're keeping it as is, it's amazing!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Another great find, DD!!

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
It's a really pretty piece, with a very pretty diamond, at a great price! The vendor pics are definitely a turn-off.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! You have a knack.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
The diamond is super gorgeous, hard to believe its the stone stone as the vendor pic. I'm super envious of your ebay skill!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice! $150 is a super bargain. I'm a bit disappointed to find out that it's not going to be one of your sidestones, but it'll make a great gift for your mother.

And um, no shame in having 5. I have 5. It's a good number.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer you are amazing. In your photos it looks like a completely different stone!!! Great find :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1331848683|3149545 said:
The diamond is super gorgeous, hard to believe its the stone stone as the vendor pic. I'm super envious of your ebay skill!!

Comparing the photos it is like Jekyll and Hyde! :lol: Somehow I was optimistic. I have not been wrong yet interpeting these crappy pictures. You see the tiny little table in the first photo, and the long kite facet reflecting blue? You can also get a sense of the steep crown in that first picture too. The second photo also shows some very bright light patches, which in a really crappy cut stone you would not really see that contrast pattern at all, even masked as it is in that picture. Those are the signs I look for.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I make a design suggestion you can take or leave? I'd remove the pearl drop and the loop that attaches to it. I think it would make it a much cleaner design plus I don't really like that pearl, to ME it's a very inexpensive looking pearl whereas the rest of the pearls and the pendant are very upscale looking.

Great buy!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy in person the pearl on the bottom is a really pretty lustrous fresh water pearl :)) It looks good. Scale is a little hard to determine in the pictures, when I ordered it I thought I would take the pearl off too. But now I like it. But I wil think about it when I have it cleaned up and the new chain attached!

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1331858367|3149661 said:
Can I make a design suggestion you can take or leave? I'd remove the pearl drop and the loop that attaches to it. I think it would make it a much cleaner design plus I don't really like that pearl, to ME it's a very inexpensive looking pearl whereas the rest of the pearls and the pendant are very upscale looking.

Great buy!

I agree with Gypsy...I think that the pearl at the bottom is an odd addition. But, whatever you decide to do, it is a very lovely piece and I'm sure your mom will greatly enjoy it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a very unflattering neck shot for perspective, it is a dainty little thing. Looking now at the pendant again, the pearl does draw attention away from the diamond. But I also think the style of the pendant needs something there. What about a small briolet instead?

I just asked my husband and he said, 'The pearl sort of looks like a blob of bird poop hanging there!" But, without it, "It just looks like a Christmas tree!"

Not sure how much help that is.

lavalier 010.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
A plain small pearl that's round maybe? They can't cost that much...

I agree that something dangling there looks nice.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Dang girl! Another great find. I love it and am glad you are keeping it as is. I also love the idea of a briolet.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, great find! Hope your mom enjoys it!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer i'm sure you can get PP to make a pearl teardrop dangly or round dangly for not too much $$. They will install the pearl cap for free.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1331866498|3149774 said:
Dreamer i'm sure you can get PP to make a pearl teardrop dangly or round dangly for not too much $$. They will install the pearl cap for free.

I looked there (after I figured out what PP was) and all the loose ones are so big? I think I need a tear drop shape, white, and no bigger than about 4-5mm. Help?

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful pendant! Great find!! :love:

Cachette :))

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
Maybe replace the pearl with your moms birthstone in a bezel?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331869475|3149808 said:
slg47|1331866498|3149774 said:

I looked there (after I figured out what PP was) and all the loose ones are so big? I think I need a tear drop shape, white, and no bigger than about 4-5mm. Help?

oh sorry...I ordered a 7 mm tear drop shape I think? Anyway I would talk to them and ask if they might have a smaller one (you can use the online chat if you don't like phone, I found it to be super helpful). The 7 mm is only $15 and the finding is $12 in 14kt.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
FairieMoon79|1331870863|3149822 said:

I was thining of her birthstone in a briolet, it is peridot and that would look nice. I will find a bead and gem store and look at options.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1331872217|3149829 said:
FairieMoon79|1331870863|3149822 said:

I was thining of her birthstone in a briolet, it is peridot and that would look nice. I will find a bead and gem store and look at options.
I was just going to suggest that!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331859424|3149675 said:
I just asked my husband and he said, 'The pearl sort of looks like a blob of bird poop hanging there!" But, without it, "It just looks like a Christmas tree!"

Aren't husband's wonderful with all these bling decisions?

I don't think I'd add a peridot briolette. They usually aren't saturated enough to stand on their own on the chest, they can be kinda see through. I'd do a pearl just one that looks less like bird poop. 15 bucks: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Loose-White-Freshwater-Drop-Pearl2219.aspx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results