shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian engagement ring with no hallmark

rntn

Rough_Rock
Hey guys! I’m looking for a Victorian period engagement ring and this one is my favorite. Unfortunately the only hallmark remaining is 18ct. It’s really important to me that the ring was made pre-1900. The listing does state it’s from the Victorian era. This is a wonderfully kind and seemingly knowledgeable seller who has lots of five star reviews. What do you guys think? Can I trust that this is a Victorian piece or should I wait for one with hallmarks?
2EEAB29C-0B38-41A5-A209-DB1D675A32EB.jpeg 61DCD19F-D080-4BC3-B6DA-EBF0BC614F40.jpeg 755EE20E-891E-4D41-AD5E-CB39115865B4.jpeg

rntn

Rough_Rock
I’ve discovered the diamonds are old European cut, which places it at least after 1890. Is that correct?

rntn

Rough_Rock
I’m no expert but the shape of the stones look more like old mines which are usually older than old Europeans.

I think they look like old mine cuts as well, but the seller said they’re old European. I would hate to insult her and ask if she’s sure lol…but I want this ring to be old sooo badly

rntn

Rough_Rock

rntn

Rough_Rock
I have a video or two as well if anyone would be so kind as to let me send them their way for a look.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring!

Even a hallmark wouldn't "prove" anything, right? Is the wear pattern/patina right for the age, etc? There are plenty of eBay vendors, for instance, who sell a lot of very similar-looking things as period authentic.

Lang does a great job establishing the period, imo, and differentiates between period and "period-style."

rntn

Rough_Rock
Pretty ring!

Even a hallmark wouldn't "prove" anything, right? Is the wear pattern/patina right for the age, etc? There are plenty of eBay vendors, for instance, who sell a lot of very similar-looking things as period authentic.

Lang does a great job establishing the period, imo, and differentiates between period and "period-style."

Very true! She’s going to try and have her jeweler take a look at it for me, so I’m looking forward to their opinion.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my mind, old mine cuts are different from old European cuts in that the cutting in old mine cuts is generally “wonkier”: less symmetrical, which shows especially well on the table. This would also argue for OMC’s generally being older than OEC’s, since the wonkiness is the result of having used more rudimentary equipment. However, I’ve also seen “definitions” which state that old mind cuts and all European cuts are basically the same, except that old mine cuts are cushion shaped while all European cuts are round. Of course this “definition” could be the results of someone equating “less symmetrical” with “cushion-shaped.”

But I digress.

I would consider the stones in that lovely ring to be OMC’s. This article discusses the differences between OMC’s snd OEC’s, and suggests that OMC’s were generally cut before 1900;

that’s a beautiful ring, and I hope gives you lots of enjoyment!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for OMC's. It's a beautiful ring!

Please update us on what the jewellers assessment says.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is one of the nicest rings of this style I’ve seen. The stones are oblong (nicely matched in shape and size from the top) and set in a tight row to suggest one solid strip of chunky diamonds. I love the slight taper of the prongs getting slightly thinner towards the stones, it’s a special decorative touch, making the prongs visibly delicate. I’m not an expert. The vibe I’m getting from this ring is antique due to wear patina and artistic form, including well matched stones. It looks like the artisan had an eye for design detail that sometimes doesn’t happen in repro pieces. Most of the old mine cuts have really high crowns from the side, they are somewhat rustic, which I personally love. I think this ring is going to be luscious to wear. If I were looking for this style of ring, this is a very nice find, IMO it is authentic.

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
I have an antique Victorian half hoop ring or three, haha. I love this style. None of mine have diamonds this large though....drool! Of the three rings I have two of them have full British hallmarks. The one that is unhallmarked is all diamonds and the seller I bought it from said it had a faint hallmark date of 1901 which is the last year before the era switches to Edwardian. I had to have it sized down, so lost that faint hallmark. Anyway, this definitely looks like an authentic antique. But without a hallmark it is possible it is Edwardian b/c they did still make them during that time period. I would definitely love and enjoy this ring whether it is Victorian or Edwardian. It has such beautiful details. My ring also has the engraved shoulders and clawish prongs. Very pretty! One thing I adore about this style is the low, smooth setting which makes it so wearable.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The setting is belcher, or buttercup, which was indeed the 1800's. Here is a fun fact about the belcher. Now depending on what you read, Thomas Belcher was credited with the style of the setting but era gem states differently. I do think it's authentic.

HHtv

Rough_Rock
The setting is belcher, or buttercup, which was indeed the 1800's. Here is a fun fact about the belcher. Now depending on what you read, Thomas Belcher was credited with the style of the setting but era gem states differently. I do think it's authentic.

From what I have noticed, buttercup settings have the scalloped edges on the bottom between the prongs and a belcher setting just has flat edges without that “frilly” style. There are so many variations over time I guess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results