shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera vs Steven Kirsch Eternity Band

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
I'm considering having an eternity band made by VC or SK. I got quotes from both today. This will be full eternity with 25 point round brilliants, low set, shared claw prong, open basket (visible cutlet). Does anyone have a larger weight eternity by either of these guys? Thoughts on which you'd choose? I know others on PS have had luck with IDJ and ERD and others for eternities, but let's say for now I"m using either VC or SK.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, that sounds sooo wonderful! I have worked with Victor in the past and would definitely choose him to make me a ring like that! I really can't wait to see it!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have worked with both. I went back and worked with SK multiple times, I only worked with VC once. Unless VC is much less expensive I would go with SK. I also have a ring like that from Wink Jones that is maybe 7 or 8 years old. He did a wonderful job and I would not hesitate to recommend him. I have some mixed gem (sapphire and diamond and ruby and diamond) stackers from ID that were very nice and WF and BGD as well.

For the me the decision would come down to if there is something specific a certain vendor does exceptionally well, after that price matters!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, if there is a big difference in pricing, that would make a difference to me.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input! There is a substantial price delta.

SK is less $ than VC but the quote is interesting.

For a size 5.5 ring with 25 point stones, SK's band has 15 stones and VC's 17. I find this to be a big difference. I believe 17 stones is more typical for a ring in this size with 25 pointers. I will try to get more info.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should ask questions more diamonds costs more money Victor uses really elegantly fluid ways to set a number of his things too, so pricewise it might not be an "apples to apples" comparison.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't worked with either vendor but I did get my "big" eternity from ERD and I love it. I wanted to comment on stone count though. Both stone counts seem a little high. My ring is a 6.75 and I have 25 pointers as well. When it was a U-prong (the first setting) it had 18 stones, I then had ERD change it to a lower shared prong basket setting (much more comfortable and more timeless for me), it went down to 15 stones, still a size 6.75. However I do have one little spacer bar in my new setting, the size of one stone. So if your setting is only a 5.5 I would think you'd have 14-15 stones max.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
mimi72|1452798926|3976020 said:

For a size 5.5 ring with 25 point stones, SK's band has 15 stones and VC's 17. I find this to be a big difference. I believe 17 stones is more typical for a ring in this size with 25 pointers. I will try to get more info.
It could be how they're set, and SK might be setting them lower to the finger, which might mean less stones are needed.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I love "cutlet"!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1452877892|3976420 said:
mimi72|1452798926|3976020 said:

It could be how they're set, and SK might be setting them lower to the finger, which might mean less stones are needed.

This will also make for a more comfortable ring.
I'm not sure if 17 stones is 'normal' for a 5.5 size ring. I currently wear a 25 pointer full eternity ring and I am a size 5.75, There are 15 ideal cut (but uncertified) stones in my ring and it was set very low for comfort.
The diameter of the stones could also be linked to diamonds cut proportions.

(edit for spelling)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you ladies with the full eternities need to post a top and side view of your rings on this thread, especially the two that are 5.5 and 5.75 since those are so close to what she is getting. She can see how low they are set for there to be 15 stones.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have worked with SK a number of times and have eternity bands by him - they are lovely and I would gladly buy another from him. VC is great and does fantastic work .. but I rather pay less if SK is cheaper.

rossi46

Rough_Rock
mimi72|1452734886|3975699 said:
I'm considering having an eternity band made by VC or SK. I got quotes from both today. This will be full eternity with 25 point round brilliants, low set, shared claw prong, open basket (visible cutlet).

By chance, do you have pictures of the claw prong setting you describe?

I'm looking at eternity bands, too, and am only familiar with the usual shared prong, U-prong, etc. styles. Thank you!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shared prong bands will have less space in between each stone so you will likely end up with smaller gaps and more diamonds, affecting the total # of stones in the bands. I have had Victor make other pieces for me in the past and if he ended up using less total carat weight than what was originally quoted, he refunded me the difference.

So if this was my dilemma, I would go with Victor.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1452893944|3976513 said:
Oh, you ladies with the full eternities need to post a top and side view of your rings on this thread, especially the two that are 5.5 and 5.75 since those are so close to what she is getting. She can see how low they are set for there to be 15 stones.
I hope I'm not too late getting back to Mimi, I was clearing pictures from my phone and came across this vendor shot of my 5.75 25pointer platinum eternity band. I specifically asked for a low setting for comfort as I wear this ring most days. I have 15 stones in my ring
image_377.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results