shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera bangle, with clasp or with ball end?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I have been contemplating a hand-forged plain oval bangle, with the metal wall shaped like a uniformly round wire (perhaps 6mm in diameter), like this but in platinum:

plain_bangle.jpg

I contacted Victor Canera about this project. He asked if I'd like a clasp on the bangle so it could be opened and closed. I do want to be able to put on and take off the bangle easily, but I am not sure what he means by clasp. Is a bangle with clasp the same as a bangle with hinge and screw system? Or it is more like a cuff bracelet, but with its two ends connected with some sort of chain and clasp, similar to this?

bangle_w_chain_clasp.jpg

I also saw some plain bangles with attractive ball end. Among the ball end, the chain/clasp end, and the hinge/screw system, what one do you like the most? I cannot make up my mind. Durability would be a consideration factor too. My wrist measures about 56mm wide and 40mm tall.

bangle_w_ball_end.jpg

Btw, does anyone know if Victor accepts credit card payment? I could ask him later (when I make up my mind), but I am curious!

P.S. I found the above images in another discussion board, and edited them to remove the name of that discussion board. Hope their owners wouldn't mind me posting them here.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe ask Victor what he means by clasp?

sounds like it will be a gorgeous bracelet though :)

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1317137272|3026853 said:
maybe ask Victor what he means by clasp?

sounds like it will be a gorgeous bracelet though :)

Yes, I will clarify with him, but I think I should decide between the ball end and the others first. The ball end is more like a cuff.

Help me decide! :wavey:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'd definitely ask Victor what kind of clasp he has in mind because there are many styles.
He's good at drawing things up, maybe ask him for a sketch?
Sounds beautiful!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
maplefemme|1317138169|3026861 said:
Yes, I'd definitely ask Victor what kind of clasp he has in mind because there are many styles.
Sounds beautiful!

OK, I am going to ask him today.

This is my first project with Victor. Do you think it would be a bad idea to bug him about the possibility of doing the ball end vs. the clasp?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie|1317139272|3026878 said:
Sounds beautiful!

This is my first project with Victor. Do you think it would be a bad idea to bug him about the possibility of doing the ball end vs. the clasp?

He will have no problem with you asking him anything, believe me I have!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1317141072|3026913 said:
Sounds beautiful!

That's a relief! I contacted him 10 days ago about this project, via his custom design web page. He replied to my inquiry within a day. Then I replied to him with some questions. But I haven't heard from him since. I thought perhaps he got annoyed by my questions and indecisiveness, although it is possible that my reply went into his spam folder.

Now, shall I ask questions via his custom design web page again?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie|1317141838|3026932 said:
Sounds beautiful!

That's a relief! I contacted him 10 days ago about this project, via his custom design web page. He replied to my inquiry within a day. Then I replied to him with some questions. But I haven't heard from him since. I thought perhaps he got annoyed by my questions and indecisiveness, although it is possible that my reply went into his spam folder.

Just call him, he has no problem with phone calls.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1317143071|3026952 said:
Cookie|1317141838|3026932 said:
Sounds beautiful!

Just call him, he has no problem with phone calls.

Thank you bright ice. I will give him a call. :)

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Victor said he was referring to the hinge/clasp system. :)

Now I need to choose between the ball end style and the hinge/clasp style. I think I like both.. I don't know what factors I should consider, besides the potential maintenance the hinge/clasp would require.

Help, please?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I had two custom 24k bangles made. Hinge in middle and small tongue/groove clasp on end. Had a small figure 8 safety clasp. One bracelet fell off daily and it was a miracle I didn't loose it completely (many times I had to back track on the street to find it lying on the ground). Got rid of them b/c they were a headache.

Next bracelet--my favorite--Chinese type S clasp on the 24k bracelet that fell off and I lost. NO amount of back tracking helped that time. Heartbroken as it was such a unique link.

My newest 24K bracelet has a secure, large tongue and groove clasp with two figure 8 clasps (on either side of the closure) for security. Very secure and the clasp is made of 22k while the rest of the bracelet is 24k. I realize the other clasp on the bangle style of bracelet I had made (like the one you posted) that kept falling off b/c it was too thin/soft for security. If made properly they are no brainers.....my second one was....

cheers--Sharon

LGK

Ideal_Rock
How big is your hand and can you fold it up pretty good to slide bracelets on? I am fairly small boned and can wedge really small bracelets over my hand- if I were considering that style of bracelet, I'd absolutely get it with no clasp and just slide it over my hand. But, if it would be too loose on you then yeah, I guess you'll need a clasp. If you have never worn bangles with no clasp much, you might try on some costume ones to see what you think.

The style of bangle with the balls on the end- the C shape ones- are pretty secure IMO- I wore a sterling one for years and years and never came close to losing it. I did tend to pinch it "shut" since sterling's pretty ductile. PT would be too, I'd think, even in such a sturdy design.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
LGK|1317159218|3027247 said:
How big is your hand and can you fold it up pretty good to slide bracelets on? I am fairly small boned and can wedge really small bracelets over my hand- if I were considering that style of bracelet, I'd absolutely get it with no clasp and just slide it over my hand. But, if it would be too loose on you then yeah, I guess you'll need a clasp. If you have never worn bangles with no clasp much, you might try on some costume ones to see what you think.

The style of bangle with the balls on the end- the C shape ones- are pretty secure IMO- I wore a sterling one for years and years and never came close to losing it. I did tend to pinch it "shut" since sterling's pretty ductile. PT would be too, I'd think, even in such a sturdy design.

My wrist measures about 56mm wide and 40mm tall. I am fairly petite but happen to have fat hands with big & firm bones. I really envy girls with small & soft hands.

I have tried on some costume round bangles without clasp at Macy's and Claire's. The smallest one that could go through my hand was about 64mm in diameter (that is, inner diameter). That was without lotion or soap. Even the smallest one looked very big on my wrist. I think with the help of lotion or soap, I might be able to get it down to 61mm, but that might still be a little too big for my wrist.

I do have a C shaped cuff at home. It doesn't have the ball at either end, so it scratches my skin every time I put it on or take off. The gap between the two ends is about 25mm. The cuff measures about 58mm x 49mm, and it is definitely a little too small for my wrist. It needs to be somewhat wider than 58mm.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1317158622|3027232 said:
HI:

I had two custom 24k bangles made. Hinge in middle and small tongue/groove clasp on end. Had a small figure 8 safety clasp. One bracelet fell off daily and it was a miracle I didn't loose it completely (many times I had to back track on the street to find it lying on the ground). Got rid of them b/c they were a headache.

Next bracelet--my favorite--Chinese type S clasp on the 24k bracelet that fell off and I lost. NO amount of back tracking helped that time. Heartbroken as it was such a unique link.

My newest 24K bracelet has a secure, large tongue and groove clasp with two figure 8 clasps (on either side of the closure) for security. Very secure and the clasp is made of 22k while the rest of the bracelet is 24k. I realize the other clasp on the bangle style of bracelet I had made (like the one you posted) that kept falling off b/c it was too thin/soft for security. If made properly they are no brainers.....my second one was....

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, it's good to know that the special clasps could make the whole bangle very secure. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results