shape
carat
color
clarity

Very Upset

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

As some of you may know, I spent quite some time searching for the perfect diamond for my e-ring. I finally found it and had been wearing it for over a month despite it being a bit too small. When I finally got tired of struggling to take my ring off every evening, I sent it in last week to have it re-sized. It came back and I didn''t check the ring when I collected it. Being quite careful, I check the setting every night when I take off my ring. I was quite appalled today when I did the knocking test that my jeweler taught me (tapping the girdle to see if the diamond moves), and realised that the diamond was moving when I was tapping it! Thinking I was being paranoid, I held the ring by its shank between my fingers and shook it, and I could hear a perceptible sound of the diamond moving in the setting! Is this normal? Or am I just being paranoid? Should I send it back to be checked? If it is indeed loose, can the jeweler do anything to "touch it up" so as to tighten the setting? Or would it be advisable to reset the whole thing altogether? Please advise this very very upset newbie. Thanks!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, everything will be fine... take it back and ask them to tighten the prongs and make sure that the diamond is sitting correctly with a loupe before leaving the store. I don''t have the images but someone here might post them for you or the link (I don''t know where the link is either) so that you can learn what a properly seated diamond looks like. ALWAYS inspect before you leave, including verifying your stone!!!

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 12:27:04 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
yes, everything will be fine... take it back and ask them to tighten the prongs and make sure that the diamond is sitting correctly with a loupe before leaving the store. I don''t have the images but someone here might post them for you or the link (I don''t know where the link is either) so that you can learn what a properly seated diamond looks like. ALWAYS inspect before you leave, including verifying your stone!!!
Thank you Cehrabehra! Silly question but how do you verify your stone? I have the certificate but the diamond itself has no inscription but for a small "H&A".

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 12:31:36 PM
Author: Sparklefreak

Date: 4/14/2007 12:27:04 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Thank you Cehrabehra! Silly question but how do you verify your stone? I have the certificate but the diamond itself has no inscription but for a small ''H&A''.
know your inclusions! Know your facets! Of course this advice is coming from someone who has spent HOURS looking for the inclusions in her stone and inspecting the facets LOL My stone has no 10x inclusions so I need a 20x loupe! lol

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I will bring my cert along next time.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tightening prongs is no biggie, just take it back and say that one of them is loose.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sparklefreak,

If I were you I would march up to the jeweler and give him a piece of my mind
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 2:20:54 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Hi Sparklefreak,

If I were you I would march up to the jeweler and give him a piece of my mind
9.gif
Ok...........clearly, you need some pie!
9.gif

weegem

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Please don''t show a pic of the chocolate mousse pie....I could eat that everyday, no problem
18.gif

Sparklefreak, good on you that you are so diligent! I would''ve not noticed until weeks after.

Sparklefreak

Rough_Rock
Hehe... since it''s my e-ring and the biggest diamond I own, I thought I better make sure it stays with me for all time! =) I''ve sent it back today for re-setting.. Keeping fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results