shape
carat
color
clarity

very thin to medium girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Should I be cautious about considering a round diamond with very thin to medium girdle? Ideally one should choose a girdle in thin to medium, but not very thin to medium, correct?

mbn

Shiny_Rock
the girdle of the stone is .9-2.1%

jessicarfc75

Rough_Rock
I have been told that diamonds with excessively thin girdles are more susceptible to breakage. Maybe some of the gents and ladies who are more familiar with girdle specs could assist further. Cautious...I would say to be a bit cautious:twirl:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
MBN, the girdle thickness quoted is not too bad, with the "very thin" portion of it (0.9%) being on the top end of the very thin scale (very thin is 0.4-1.0, thin is 1.0-1.5%).

Extremely thin (knife edge, less than 0.4%) girdles are the ones you want to avoid. They will nick and chip over the years.

I would not turn down a stone just based on the "very thin" designation. Often on stones, the girdle will be mostly one size throughout, such as medium, with just one small portion transgressing into the very thin category. Often a "natural" which takes up a portion of the girdle will create this measurement, without being a threat to the durability of the diamond.

It's best always to have a second opinion when you get down to the nitty-gritty. Most jewelers will not object to this.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results