shape
carat
color
clarity

very strong blue florescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alilee

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend recently purchased a diamond. We mainly looked at the color, clarity, and cut. We did not realize the impact of blue florescence. We are trying to decide whether to go forward with the purchase. Please advise. We did look at the diamond through a window and did not notice a blue tint or anything, but then again we are not experts, obviously. The diamond is H color (very strong blue florescence), VS clarity (I'm not sure if VSI or II), 1.5 carats. The cut is also pretty good. I just don't want it to look blue when I'm outside in the sun. Is this a major thing, or just one of those things that only diamond experts can tell? I just want the diamond to look good on my hand!

Thanks,

Alilee

Sierra Nevada

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert, but from what I understand there is no way to to predict how the diamond will look to you under direct strong sunlight . It might look blue or hazy or it might not. The only way to know is to look at it under those conditions and see for yourself.

Does the store have a return policy, or will it let you take the stone outside? If there is no way to assure yourself in advance or to return the stone if you don't like it,then move on and find another store or another stone. RockDoc has said here before that diamonds are like buses, there is always another one.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go to the store and take it outside into strong sunlight. If you don't like it, if it looks cloudy, if it turns a funny color, select a different diamond that makes you happy.

I like UV fluorescent stones, but that does not make it work for anyone else. YOU pick what YOU like best.

RockDoc is right. There are plenty to choose from.

hbright

Rough_Rock
Strong blue will almost certainly appear blue violet in strong sunlight. A loss of transparency probably will not occur.

Any color will mask fire to a certain degree. Colorless diamonds are the best bacground to view fire.

So, more than deciding what YOU like in general, be prepared to decide if you like blue tint in the sunlight. I hope this specific piece of info is helpful.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Alilee,
Buying an expensive diamond like this with strong fluorecence can be tricky,..
Make sure that the diamond is graded by reputable lab like GIA Why?
Fluorescent diamonds are extremely hard to colorgrade! In this case if it is GIA "H" it can look as bright on the sun as "F" also make sure that the stone is not milky since some strong blue fluorescent stones can be,...
If this diamond is not graded by reputable lab you are most likely lookin at I or J! That is how much the fluorescence can make difference in grading
Some sellers LOVE fluorescent diamonds, because they mean easy money where J can be sold as G-H if uncertified,...
I like fluorescent stones with lower colors and medium fluorescence
I just had an awesome experience last week with an H colored diamond that was turning to Pink in certain light it was the coolest lookin diamond I have seen in a long time! It was sold before it hit the lab I was hoping to study it when it comes back but never got to see it again! Christmas rush,...
The only problem with strong blue fluorescence I have is when you are buying GIA "D" color diamond than the damage is done,... Instead if colorless diamond "D" you will get to see the milkiness and blue tint for sure. So why spend the money for "D" when the diamond has properties that kills it!
Fluorescence can be also bad in three stone rings or when more diamonds are set in the row and one is fluorescent. Also bad in matching pair of earrings, Then when you enter a nightclub where blacklight is used, your left ear will appear very strong blue and the righ ear wit stay normal and will not be reflecting any light! This will look add to most people who will surely comment on it and you will think you got ripped off by the damn diamond dealer that charged you 15 grand for a bad pair of Ideal cut E/ VVS2's!,...

George
GLE Gem Imports

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Also please note you should get a 3 to 5% rebate because of
the strong fluo on this stone (according to M Rapaport).

Best regards,

Trichrome

hbright

Rough_Rock
Also note that AGS grades color in total absence of UV interference. AGS color grades are more accurate tha GIA for that reason.

I had a SB and it did look blue and therefore quench some rainbows without a doubt. I returned the SB as I prefer the full fire of non SB fluor. Both stones had very similar proportions (within 0.1%), scored HCA 1, same color (G), and clarity (VS1) so fire due to other variables is probably not probable. In other words, with a great degree of certainty SB fluor caused the dimished fire and blue tint.

I want to emphasize BLUE TINT over TRANSPARENCY is the foremost concern buying SB fluor.

I still feel that this topic overly ambiguous in an effort to coverup SB fluors detriments which is more realistically it's tint rather than its transparency. Note that the GIA study on fluorescence did not mention the effect of blueishness but focused on perceived whiteness and transparency.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
All labs known to me color grade diamonds without UV interference.
even the portable labs you can see in the mall stores do so.

I just don't see very many AGS certed stones in the industry yet,..
I am hearing nothing but good about the lab and that is great!
My experience with GIA is absolutely 100% I like the fact that one stone is being graded by several people,... This way you will get the strictest grade you can. GIA is known to be a buyers lab and I remembetr one case where I have acquired a chipped GIA Carlsbad certed stone that was 1.38ct G/VVS2.
I have examined the stone my self and my grade was strong G/VS1 because of presence one tiny cloud located too close to the culet absolutely not visible under 15X loupe. I have agreed that the opinion of GIA expert can be more relaxed than mine because the cloud vas too small, and vent with the grade VVS2. After the stone was repaired and submitted back to GIA this time in NY, for cert and laser inscription it made it back as G/VS1!
This will tell you that there can be variations in grading even by the finest and I would not bet one penny on any lab in the world however GIA is still the most reputable known in the industry.

Best
George

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results