shape
carat
color
clarity

Very old looking pendant?

erinmostowfi

Rough_Rock
image_4341.jpg image_4342.jpg image_4343.jpg

I inherited this pendant from my grandmother. It looks to be handmade from brass and the stone looks very similar to bloodstone. She lived in Iran for some years so that could be where it originated. I would like to know if anyone knows where it could have been made or how old it is. Thanks.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you just answered all your own questions.
Looks like brass, bloodstone, and maybe from Iran, based on Grandmother having lived there.
As for age, maybe 1950's-70's? Hard to say.
It would look nice polished up, and hanging from a dark beaded strand.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's also possible it's made from bronze. It looks to have patches of green on the metal which could indicate "bronze disease" or possibly "verdigris". Bronze disease is contagious to various metals containing copper so I wouldn't store it with any other jewellery pieces, especially costume. I had this happen to a vintage costume jewellery bracelet (gold plated brass). I had it stored in an area with high humidity and when I pulled it out it was turning green. I put little packs of desiccant with all my jewellery to absorb the moisture.

I know the above doesn't help with identification but I thought I should mention it as I would hate to see you lose a sentimental piece of jewellery to metal decay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results