shape
carat
color
clarity

Very low set halo.

LookingFor

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm new to the site, so please excuse any lack of proper etiquette on my part. I'm planning to propose in a little over a fortnight (ha! I've never used that word before), and I still haven't found the perfect ring. Time is running short! Interestingly, my girlfriend has never made mention of what sort of diamond she would like, only the setting. My intention is to get a round ideal-cut diamond somewhere in the 0.75 to 1 ct range, with a color at least as good as the side stones on the setting. I've also considered getting a cushion diamond >= 1 ct, no worse than H color. She doesn't like Princess, and I suspect none of the other shapes either. In any case, I'm more concerned with the setting. Here is what I've gathered she likes/dislikes, in relative importance:

1) She wants the diamond to be set very low. She's a nurse, and I've been told this is a common request among them.
2) She has consistently maintained that she hates cathedral settings of any sort, so that is my #1 thing to avoid.
3) She loves the look of a halo.
4) She likes pave or side stones that don't cause "bulges" on the side of the ring. In other words, diamonds on top, but "clean" from the side.

I've discovered that very-low-set halos are not easy to find! It seems like 75% of them use cathedral, and the rest have some sort of way of "lifting" the halo up off the ring. It seems to me that what my girlfriend wants is a halo with the diamond low within it, and with the halo sitting directly on top of the ring (or possibly even "in" it).

A few hours ago I found this:
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/eng...d-studded-band-by-Eternity-(.55-ctw.)-240.htm
I quite like the look, and it seems to fit the bill quite nicely. It's not technically "clean" on the sides, but they're diamonds, not "bulges," so I don't think she'll mind!

http://www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com/e...-Set-Halo-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Set/1219152
This is another good option, although I suspect she might not like the look of the opening in the metal underneath the halo.

I'm hoping to keep the price of the setting less than $3000 if possible, lest it cut too much into what I can afford for the diamond itself. Does anyone know of additional settings I should be looking at?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Instead of attaching the shank below the halo, one could make a lower overall halo by attaching the shank directly to the sides of the halo. Still, the diamond has depth and needs to remain just a bit higher than the depth of the diamond regardless of the style of the ring. Attaching the shank to the halo would allow for the lowest possible configuration. I don't believe I have seen such a ring, but it could be made to order. The time element is working against you. If you had the diamond already, it still would be a "fortnight" delay at least for most good quality manufacturers to get something done, let alone for you to approve a design, and there would be no time to spare. Maybe the best thing is to put the diamond is a low, plain ring, possibly in a bezel. Get engaged. Then get the correct design of the halo developed and approved before rushing into a custom job with insufficient time to make good judgments. You could get engaged with the diamond alone and work with her to develop the proper mounting that she'd really love.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I'd do a bezel halo setting. Here's one from Whiteflash that looks like it would fit the bill, and the setting is designed so a wedding band can sit flush which is a nice feature- you could go for platinum and stay within budget as well:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/halo-bezel-diamond-engagement-ring-197.htm

Here are a few options for center stones:
.73 H/VS2: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2657817.htm

.71 G/VS2: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2657808.htm

.86 F/SI1: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2668194.htm

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a crudly altered photo from the one in the above link to Whiteflash with the top halo lowered into the shank quite a bit. Of course, the shank is cathedral style still , which you didn't want, but it could be changed to a solid shank or curved a bit more downward to minimize the high, cathedral effect. Just a little smart custom alteration would make such a ring very low set and good for a nurse. The James Allen style ring could altered on a custom basis in much the same way. Neither alterations would be difficult, but would take some skill, extra effort and more labor.

suggestion1.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
we bought my ring from Tim at Emma Parker... one of your examples in your original post... I am not sure about low set I am just saying he was a pleasure to deal with and made about a half a dozen changes to my setting as I went through the process with him. :appl: He was a pleasure to deal with...

he later made new bands for me and is now working on a sapphire for me... I was really very happy all the way around...

253642_232037746821874_100000469511499_999021_324241_n.jpg

vsc

Shiny_Rock
A bezel would be a good idea - no prongs to catch on gloves, and also the stone won't be raised above the halo.
I'm not sure she would be bothered by the shoulders on the whiteflash halo setting - I also hate "cathedral" settings because they're so tall, and also because a lot of them have shoulders that aren't connected with the head/basket and it looks unsleek (see below).

eta: here's an example of a bezel halo where the curve of the shoulders is slightly different and does not have as much of a cathedral-like look.

typical cathedral.jpg

low bezel.jpg

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello Looking For! I just had a halo ring made by Steven Kirsch, and it is set quite low. It could very easily be worn under sterile gloves( and was for a good part of the day today) the pave is smooth enough that it never caught on the gloves while they were being put on or removed.
Height of pave
cs_sapphire_halo_sk_08.jpg
cs_sapphire_halo_sk_10.jpg
Hand Shot
cs_sapphire_halo_sk_07.jpg

If I can help with any specifics please don't hesitate to ask!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Has she thought about a wedding band? Ask her how she wants her wedding band to sit next to her e-ring. A halo that is too low might not allow a wedding band to fit under the halo and sit next to the ring shank. If you're going to order something, ask about how a wedding band would fit under/beside the halo, and perhaps get a matching wedding band at the same time - either one that sits under the halo, or a curved one that curves alongside the halo.

A low set ring is very practical!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
I am a Dr and empathize with her desire for a low-set ring!
would this work? http://www.sholdtdesign.com/Rings.htm Go to "vashion" and then scroll to R-494-1PD
I'm not sure how much it costs, but it's a halo, not cathedral, and appears to be pretty low set. plus, I think it's gorgeous (which I'm sure is just the most important thing to you and her ;-)

LookingFor

Rough_Rock
Wow, I must say, this forum has a lot of very helpful and friendly people! I'll be making a decision either tomorrow or on Monday at the latest. Hopefully my next post will be in the "Show me the bling!" forum. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results